The Student Room Group

A-Level options

Hello,
I am currently in the process of choosing A-Levels for sixth form next year, I will be partaking in the high achievers programme,in which I choose four A-Levels , I then drop one and take the three remaining up to A2.

I am aiming to take subjects which are academically favoured as well as subjects I like, so far I have planned to take English launguage, English literature and history , however I can't quite decide on the last one.

So what subjects are more academically favoured compared to other's? Also which subjects do you reccomend i choose?

I have narrowed it down to this list

Biology
Chemistry
Law
Mathematics
Mathematics (Further)

I have not done chemistry or biology at GCSE due to my school not having it on offer, however I have achieved an A/S in Mathematics already, (additional school course).

Your assistance is much appreiciated.
Don't you need a GCSE in biology or chemistry if you want to do it to A level? I would say, out of those choices, you should do maths. It means you'll be doing a science subject and not all unis like you taking law.
Reply 2
Original post by Dan-app
Hello,
I am currently in the process of choosing A-Levels for sixth form next year, I will be partaking in the high achievers programme,in which I choose four A-Levels , I then drop one and take the three remaining up to A2.

I am aiming to take subjects which are academically favoured as well as subjects I like, so far I have planned to take English launguage, English literature and history , however I can't quite decide on the last one.

So what subjects are more academically favoured compared to other's? Also which subjects do you reccomend i choose?

I have narrowed it down to this list

Biology
Chemistry
Law
Mathematics
Mathematics (Further)

I have not done chemistry or biology at GCSE due to my school not having it on offer, however I have achieved an A/S in Mathematics already, (additional school course).

Your assistance is much appreiciated.

A good list of subjects preferred by top universities. This list is from Trinity College, Cambridge.

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

My options on that list are the A1 ones. It was a coincidence that all five options I have decided to chose were preferred in Cambridge. I don't think you should be taking a science if you are doing two English AS/A2's. What would you like to do in the future?
Reply 3
if you havent done bio or chem at gcse, dont even bother trying at alevel!
as for law, not all uni's like it but it goes well with your other subjects
maths sounds like a good idea,
f.maths? kinda pointless if you dont do alevel maths

so id say law or maths - but which do you enjoy more?
Reply 4
drop biology, done
Reply 5
My list is now narrowed down

Maths
Maths (further)

My career ambition is actually journalism however I would rather take academically respected A-Levels than something not so respected.

My research has led me to belive that a subject such as Religeous education is not so favoured, however it seems to favoured on that Cambridge website. I am slightly confused with the ordeal.

So if I was to take English language, Enlish Literature, History and Mathematics which do you reccomend I take to A2?

Also the website seems to indicate more of a use in English literature than English language, would it be more usefull to take mathematics further instead?

Thank you so much for taking time to assist me on this matter , much appreciated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Dan-app
My list is now narrowed down

Maths
Maths (further)

My career ambition is actually journalism however I would rather take academically respected A-Levels than something not so respected.

My research has led me to belive that a subject such as Religeous education is not so favoured, however it seems to favoured on that Cambridge website. I am slightly confused with the ordeal.

So if I was to take English language, Enlish Literature, History and Mathematics which do you reccomend I take to A2?

Thank you so much for taking time to assist me on this matter , much appreciated.

I would say maths would be more useful to you than further maths, although looking at what you want to go into, I'm not sure how much use it'd be :/

Did you say you already took AS maths though? Because then you could do A2 maths in your first year alongside with English lang, lit and history, and then take those three subject to A2 in your second year.
Reply 7
"...A2 maths in your first year alongside with English lang, lit and history, and then take those three subject to A2 in your second year."

That's an excellent idea , I could see if the sixth form would allow me to do that.

I admit that mathematics may not be the most usefull for my career path , however if a high grade in Mathematics will allow me to get into a prestigeous university , then that would massivley benefit me.
Reply 8
Original post by Dan-app

not saying whether you should take biology or not, but I just thought i'd point out you can still do fine in it without doing the gcse
fair enough, i've found myself doing gcse biology several times as additional science doesn't really help at all but it's not impossible you just have to put in some extra work :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest