The Student Room Group

Medlink 2010

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Coolkat
Our College has offered Medlink to us, for only £50 .. they pay the rest. do you reckon its worth going? Also is it true that there's limited places..or does everyone get in..?
:smile: My Gcse grades are not as high as others..2A's.3B's..5C's.. and so i worry im not gonna get in.. o_O

I emailed 3 universities (Manchester, Bristol and UCL) about it just to make sure and they all said that attending Medlink gives no weight to your application whatsoever. Manchester were even keen to point out that Medlink is a "money-making company".

In short, I would advise you to not to waste £50. In fact, I would advise that you encourage your college to not waste their money either. Every hour spent in Medlink is an hour that could be spent doing something that actually contributes to your application.
Reply 81
Anybody going on the first medlink, I'm going on the first 4 day standard course, I would just like to get to know some people before I go. :smile:
Don't bother meeting people beforehand. It's dead awkward because you recognise people but don't know if it's them or not so don't say anything. And they do the same thing. I learnt that from experience. :lol:
Reply 83
Original post by colabottles
Don't bother meeting people beforehand. It's dead awkward because you recognise people but don't know if it's them or not so don't say anything. And they do the same thing. I learnt that from experience. :lol:

That must have been awkward :eek:. What happened if you don't mind me asking.
Original post by SAK.A
That must have been awkward :eek:. What happened if you don't mind me asking.

Happened a few times. You get people on msn, talk to them loads then don't recognise them. Or they completely ignore you so you don't know if they know who you are.

Honestly, make brand new friends when you're there, it's not hard, just go sit down in the lounge thing with everyone else! I was quite shy back when I went to Medlink and I still managed to speak to lots of people and make friends :smile:
Reply 85
Happened a few times. You get people on msn, talk to them loads then don't recognise them. Or they completely ignore you so you don't know if they know who you are.

Honestly, make brand new friends when you're there, it's not hard, just go sit down in the lounge thing with everyone else! I was quite shy back when I went to Medlink and I still managed to speak to lots of people and make friends :smile:

How was medlink what sort of things did you do?
Original post by SAK.A
How was medlink what sort of things did you do?

Not to put you off, but it was rubbish. Everything that was said can be found online, and they have you sitting in a lecture hall for 12+ hours a day. And the practicals were awful, they sent this otoscope for everyone to use and it was covered in earwax, bleurgh!

There are good points though - it can be interesting, and it's good to have the experience of staying in a uni and meeting new people.

Not worth the money though.
Reply 87
What! It's freeeezing outside - why don't you just make a massive fire out of notes instead?
Original post by Organ
What! It's freeeezing outside - why don't you just make a massive fire out of notes instead?

LOL. This.

"Please rate some other members before rating this member again." :cry:
Reply 89
Ahhhh! I knew I had a feeling about it that it's not worth it, stupid biology teacher made it seem like it was compulsory that I had to go. I swear he must be working with them on the sly.
Original post by SAK.A
Ahhhh! I knew I had a feeling about it that it's not worth it, stupid biology teacher made it seem like it was compulsory that I had to go. I swear he must be working with them on the sly.

Oh no! He deserves a good slap!

It really is just for the purpose of money making. I wish someone had told me before I decided to go. :frown:
Reply 91
I am so annoyed at the moment I've just wasted £200+ what a ****ing piss take. Thieving bastards!!! :mad:
Original post by SAK.A
I am so annoyed at the moment I've just wasted £200+ what a ****ing piss take. Thieving bastards!!! :mad:

You're not the first, or the last :tongue:

I think the best thing you can do is to really try and get the most that you can out of it, that's what I did. Embrace living in the halls for a few days cuz it really is fun, make friends, have a laugh :smile:

In the lectures try your best to get lots out of it, listen to all the doctors speak, it's interesting, nothing new but it's nice to hear their perspective. And make sure you don't stick the otoscope in your ear :lol:

Oh, and St George's Caribbean uni are likely to be there - throw things at them or something. :biggrin:
Reply 93
You're not the first, or the last :tongue:

I think the best thing you can do is to really try and get the most that you can out of it, that's what I did. Embrace living in the halls for a few days cuz it really is fun, make friends, have a laugh :smile:

In the lectures try your best to get lots out of it, listen to all the doctors speak, it's interesting, nothing new but it's nice to hear their perspective. And make sure you don't stick the otoscope in your ear :lol:

Oh, and St George's Caribbean uni are likely to be there - throw things at them or something. :biggrin:

I'm just going to ask really random/stupid/awkward questions, and argue with them. Grrrr!!!:colone:
Original post by SAK.A
I'm just going to ask really random/stupid/awkward questions, and argue with them. Grrrr!!!:colone:

There was something funny last year, people here may remember - this emergency helicopter doctor (who was ACE, he was brilliant, the only person who was really entertaining and had lots of people going 'EURGH!') was on, and some girl shouted at him 'who is your boss?!?!' about 20 times with him in a complete state of confusion, it was hilarious :lol:
Reply 95
There was something funny last year, people here may remember - this emergency helicopter doctor (who was ACE, he was brilliant, the only person who was really entertaining and had lots of people going 'EURGH!') was on, and some girl shouted at him 'who is your boss?!?!' about 20 times with him in a complete state of confusion, it was hilarious :lol:

I wish I get some nutter, I like crazy people they make me laugh. :cool:
Original post by SAK.A
I wish I get some nutter, I like crazy people they make me laugh. :cool:

Haha same, there were plenty of nutters when I went! Just go and enjoy it, don't dread it and forget how much it cost, you'll enjoy it :smile:

Oh dear, going for the gross factor...how original Medlink :rolleyes:
Reply 98
Haha same, there were plenty of nutters when I went! Just go and enjoy it, don't dread it and forget how much it cost, you'll enjoy it :smile:

:smile: I'm just going to try and keep in mind "I'm doing this to get into med. school".:biggrin:
Reply 99
Original post by digitalis
Oh dear, going for the gross factor...how original Medlink :rolleyes:

Did you go to medlink? What do you think of it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending