The Student Room Group

Is a radiator that won't switch off dangerous?

Hey all,
Basically I worry about stupid things. My radiator in my student accommodation never switches off and it's always boiling. I don't mind my room being warm at all but I just wondered if it was dangerous, since it must be broken??

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ÇaBaigne_29
Hey all,
Basically I worry about stupid things. My radiator in my student accommodation never switches off and it's always boiling. I don't mind my room being warm at all but I just wondered if it was dangerous, since it must be broken??

Thanks

Not really dangerous - but just report it to you landlord so he can get someone out to have a look
Reply 2
As long as you don't pay the bill it's not a problem
Reply 3
It's just cause it's stupidly hot all the time, like I have images of explosions and what not XD
Reply 4
It's just cause it's stupidly hot all the time, like I have images of explosions and what not XD

what kind of radiator
Reply 5
I can tell you the make but it's just a normal radiator?
Reply 6
like an electrical one or a water one?
Hey all,

Thanks

Mine did this for a month. I just opened the window all day rather than go to the landlord.......
Reply 8
Lol is it electical or water heated? If it's water heated then all you need to do is switch off either the boiler or the tap on the side of the heater. If it's electrical then again all your need to do is switch it off! And yes there will be an off swtich somewhere!
Original post by wasabitofanidiot89
Mine did this for a month. I just opened the window all day rather than go to the landlord.......

Congrats on needlessly killing the planet :top:
Reply 10
It's probably not dangerous but I think radiators are meant to have a thermostatic valve so that you can turn them off.

LOL.If you cant turn it off ,put some washed(wet) clothes over it. (No need to dry them) = more eco friendly you.
:cool:
Reply 12
It's a water radiator

Lol i have my window open right now, in our current snowy climate and I'm boiling XD
Reply 13
I'm sure when I turn the dial nothing changes.
No explosions, but get someone to take a look at it. It's a stupid waste of energy
I'm sure when I turn the dial nothing changes.

Lol you are a lost cause, honestly. Ok firstly it's not a dial, it's a valve tap. To turn off the valve you need to turn it to the right (clockwise). This should stop any water from getting into the radiator, also please allow the radiator to cool down before deciding the valve is broke.
Reply 16
Original post by Law123mus
Lol you are a lost cause, honestly. Ok firstly it's not a dial, it's a valve tap. To turn off the valve you need to turn it to the right (clockwise). This should stop any water from getting into the radiator, also please allow the radiator to cool down before deciding the valve is broke.

I do apologise.
Reply 17
Hey all,

Thanks

it will be absolutely fine, i assure you.
the worst that could happen is you sitting in your room, barely wearing anything (due to the radiator heat), studying, minding your own business, then it EXPLODES!!!

quick question, is it
1. electrical with coils
2. electrical with oil
3. with boiling water flowing in it?

1. during the explosion, flying coils of metal fly towards you face and body, BURNING INTO YOUR SKIN SCAR-ING YOU FOR LIFE

2. the BOILING radiator oil blows into your skin and you are unable to wipe it of due to the oils high viscosity. so it ends up sinking into your blood stream + number 1 as they use coils heat the oil. AND YOU SCARS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE

3. the boiling water covers you have you have scars for the rest of your life, blah blah blah and you look like you have vitiligo.

yup...so it gonna be a-o-kay:cool:
Reply 18
You are personally invited to come and sit in my room next to the radiator :P
Reply 19
Original post by Law123mus

She's a lost cause because she doesn't know a certain piece of terminology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending