The Student Room Group

Transferring from Theraputic to Diagnostic Radiography at City

Has anyone successfully been able to transfer from Radiotherapy to Radiography at City or LSBU and is it possible? I want to study Diagnostic Radiography but im also interested in Therapeutic Radiography but I want to be able to switch if i don't enjoy it in first year. I know the modules can be quite different as the end roles are very different from eachother but maybe in first year the content is a bit more similar maybe?
Original post by Cheesecake21
Has anyone successfully been able to transfer from Radiotherapy to Radiography at City or LSBU and is it possible? I want to study Diagnostic Radiography but im also interested in Therapeutic Radiography but I want to be able to switch if i don't enjoy it in first year. I know the modules can be quite different as the end roles are very different from eachother but maybe in first year the content is a bit more similar maybe?

I suspect that they will be quite different - have you compared the year-1 course modules for both courses? Are you applying for 2024 entry? If so, I recommend that you attend some open days and go the talks for both courses. My daughter thought that she wanted to study DR, but by the time she'd been to a few open days radiotherapy was the front runner. She found it far more interesting and the work hours are much better once you start work (no night shifts :wink:).
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
I suspect that they will be quite different - have you compared the year-1 course modules for both courses? Are you applying for 2024 entry? If so, I recommend that you attend some open days and go the talks for both courses. My daughter thought that she wanted to study DR, but by the time she'd been to a few open days radiotherapy was the front runner. She found it far more interesting and the work hours are much better once you start work (no night shifts :wink:).

Thanks I briefly has a look a while back and some modules overlapped but I should check again, going to try contact the uni and find out. Aww congratulations to your daughter for getting in! Therapeutic Radiography is very intriguing I'm just slightly concerned about job prospects as I'll have to travel further out for hospitals with radiotherapy departments but I guess it makes up for not having to do night shifts and sometimes weekends ahaha, unfortunately I declined my offer for Therapeutic Radiography for Diagnostic Radiography elsewhere but its a lot further away and placements are in another city so im slightly regretting it now :confused: the course is closed now which is a shame but I guess I'll try keep an eye on it if it reopens again, thanks for your help!
(edited 8 months ago)
Thanks I briefly has a look a while back and some modules overlapped but I should check again, going to try contact the uni and find out. Aww congratulations to your daughter for getting in! Therapeutic Radiography is very intriguing I'm just slightly concerned about job prospects as I'll have to travel further out for hospitals with radiotherapy departments but I guess it makes up for not having to do night shifts and sometimes weekends ahaha, unfortunately I declined my offer for Therapeutic Radiography for Diagnostic Radiography elsewhere but its a lot further away and placements are in another city so im slightly regretting it now :confused: the course is closed now which is a shame but I guess I'll try keep an eye on it if it reopens again, thanks for your help!

If the uni where you have accepted a place offers both, then you might be able to switch in the first term if students drop out (there are usually some).
(edited 8 months ago)

You won't be able to switch, without going back to the beginning of year 1 DRad. Although there is some overlap with some aspects - e.g. physics, anatomy - even within them they are very different. TRads don't care very much about bones, especially the limbs whereas that's core knowledge for DRads. DRads focus on low energy radiation, TRads on high energy radiation. All the techniques and clinical competencies you need are radically different for each job role. A huge chunk of a Radiotherapy degree is oncology related whereas DRads barely touch on this.
Reply 5
Original post by HellomynameisNev
You won't be able to switch, without going back to the beginning of year 1 DRad. Although there is some overlap with some aspects - e.g. physics, anatomy - even within them they are very different. TRads don't care very much about bones, especially the limbs whereas that's core knowledge for DRads. DRads focus on low energy radiation, TRads on high energy radiation. All the techniques and clinical competencies you need are radically different for each job role. A huge chunk of a Radiotherapy degree is oncology related whereas DRads barely touch on this.

Thanks for your message yes I had a feeling this was the case since they learn such different modules and areas so I'm glad I didn't end up taking the offer to study therapeutic rad thinking I could switch haha
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
If the uni where you have accepted a place offers both, then you might be able to switch in the first term if students drop out (there are usually some).

Thanks, buf about students dropping out in the first term, do unis still allow for students to transfer to other unis at the start of the course and do you think they'd be accepting of opening up places for courses that were filled if students drop out despite it being so late in the year ie end of September?
Thanks, buf about students dropping out in the first term, do unis still allow for students to transfer to other unis at the start of the course and do you think they'd be accepting of opening up places for courses that were filled if students drop out despite it being so late in the year ie end of September?

You can certainly switch if its early enough in the 1st term - one of the lecturers at SHU was doing physiotherapy and dropped out and switched to radiotherapy in the first week.

Quick Reply

Latest