The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by mardiemare
If Money is the Main Objection. Why not Do a 2nd degree with the Open University. I am starting too study with them in Feb. They are really Cheap... and they may give you funding even tho you've already got a degree. And you can work fulltime whilst studying,

Katie

Thanks i'll look into it, good idea : )
Reply 21
Original post by jmv22
I just think that when she was getting a 2:2 for her modules, surely she should have been bright enough to realise that she should aim higher and work harder? There are plenty of graduates with good degrees who can't get jobs, so why should she be any better?

Long story short- she probably won't get financial help. She can try and get experience in something she's interested in..... if she even knows what she's interested in. She's ruined a great opportunity. End of story.

JMV your in your own right to have your own opinion whether its negative or positive so good for you if you want to be judgemental.

No its not an excuse but at the time I was living on my own and amongst other things going on in my life which I don't feel I have to go into, I was working two jobs whilst studying a full time degree just to be able to pay my over heads.
Admittedly I now look back I wish I had of taken a year out but unfortunately I cannot turn back time, I can only try and make changes moving forward.

I agree I was fortunate to have the chance to have the opportunity to study a degree,but believe me and you I am now paying for it!!

I wish we were all as lucky as you to be spoon fed like a 5 year old and not have to live life's reality but maybe one day when you grow up and try and achieve something you want and fail you'll be able to relate but right about now you sound like a stereotypical spoilt brat!! So good luck in life!!

P.S. For your information whilst finding out what I want to do with my life im working as a Business Administrator which is a job aquired from my degree, averaging 25k which isn't my desired salary/job role but i'm working on it so I won't be signing on and never have. Thanks for the advice though, Take care.
Reply 22
Original post by thompson19
Thank you Amelle!!

As for JMV your in your own right to have your own opinion whether its negative or positive so good for you if you want to be judgemental.

No its not an excuse but at the time I was living on my own and amongst other things going on in my life which I don't feel I have to go into, I was working two jobs whilst studying a full time degree just to be able to pay my over heads.
Admittedly I now look back I wish I had of taken a year out but unfortunately I cannot turn back time, I can only try and make changes moving forward.

I agree I was fortunate to have the chance to have the opportunity to study a degree,but believe me and you I am now paying for it!!

I wish we were all as lucky as you to be spoon fed like a 5 year old and not have to live life's reality but maybe one day when you grow up and try and achieve something you want and fail you'll be able to relate but right about now you sound like a stereotypical spoilt brat!! So good luck in life!!

P.S. For your information whilst finding out what I want to do with my life im working as a Business Administrator which is a job aquired from my degree, averaging 25k which isn't my desired salary/job role but i'm working on it so I won't be signing on and never have. Thanks for the advice though, Take care.

Aww you had to work 2 jobs, boo hoo! I'm not a spoilt brat, I live on a council estate actually, have an awful background, amongst many other things and have managed to get fantastic grades. I can't stand it when people use pathetic excuses because they can't be bothered to study. Why didn't you just work 2 jobs and that's it? Why bother to go to Uni if you weren't prepared to study? What a waste. And hey, insulting me isn't going to change your ****ty situation, is it? Well done for asking for advice, but I think it's too little, too late.
You remind me of someone at Uni. She's spent all her maintenance loan & grant on a flat because it was 'nice', had more space and she didn't have to share with other people this year. She works in the summer, good for her. She has no money for food. She hardly sleeps and hardly does any work because she just sits playing computer games all day. Yes, you had to work 2 jobs, but that's your fault. You could got somewhere to cheaper to live. Jeez.
A Business Administrator.... how dull. :frown:
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Yeh but Carol Vorderman is clever, she probably got a 3rd because she spent all her time taking one from the top and two from the bottom.

Countdown-based sexual innuendo?

Love it.
Reply 24
think of degrees in these terms :
1st : A Damien (Hurst)
2.2 : A Desmond (Tutu)
2.1 : An Attila (the Hun)
3rd : A Douglas (Hurd) or alternatively, and I think more appropriately, A Dog's (Turd)
So you can say that you have got a dog's and the best thing to do with that is to get it off your shoe, clean up and move on. Do something else because someone who gets a dog's isn't really suited to an academic career of any sort at all. Sorry to be so blunt.
Original post by jmv22
I'm sorry but what the hell were you doing for all that time to get such a poor result???! You're either lazy or not very intelligent. Ask Tesco's for a job. There are people out there who don't get the chance to do a degree, so people like you who waste the opportunity make me sick. I don't care if you give me negative feedback, it's my opinion. Why should you get more financial help? So you can sit on your bum and fail again? So nothing at all will be paid back? And don't give me rubbish about being ill or having family problems because many of us have terrible problems and still succeed.
I don't understand why you got such a shock when you were getting 2:2 or above for most subjects... you were actually PLEASED with that? :confused: Wtf?

I have asked questions on here about really bad problems which have been through no fault of my own and have got some really bad comments. I see this as completely your fault and just can't understand why people are being so kind. :confused:

Enjoy signing on every week at the Job Centre. :smile:

This man talks the truth and is straight talking.

It's true, 99% of what he is saying is very true.

Welcome to the real world OP.

Complaining about it on TSR isn't going to help, get off your lazy ass which you have been sitting on for the past 3 years, receiving 2:2's and do something about it.

We're not going to wrap you up in cotton wool just so the hits are easier to take.

**** happens. You don't get to stop it by being a nun or telling the truth or turning counter clockwise three times while facing the sun and clucking like a chicken, you get back up and deal with it. You win some you lose some, Stop being a pussy.
Reply 26
Original post by jmv22
Aww you had to work 2 jobs, boo hoo! I'm not a spoilt brat, I live on a council estate actually, have an awful background, amongst many other things and have managed to get fantastic grades. I can't stand it when people use pathetic excuses because they can't be bothered to study. Why didn't you just work 2 jobs and that's it? Why bother to go to Uni if you weren't prepared to study? What a waste. And hey, insulting me isn't going to change your ****ty situation, is it? Well done for asking for advice, but I think it's too little, too late.
You remind me of someone at Uni. She's spent all her maintenance loan & grant on a flat because it was 'nice', had more space and she didn't have to share with other people this year. She works in the summer, good for her. She has no money for food. She hardly sleeps and hardly does any work because she just sits playing computer games all day. Yes, you had to work 2 jobs, but that's your fault. You could got somewhere to cheaper to live. Jeez.
A Business Administrator.... how dull. :frown:

LOL me with the insults??? Luv I also orginally come from a council estate!! lol I remind you of a girl you know spending all my student loan on a nice place to live??? loooooooooooooooooooooooooool you don't know the half of it, thats how I know you really think you know everything about someone you haven't even met, but guess what darling you don't know my situation so don't even bother try!! Yes thinking about it you remind me of a person I know too, a very bitter, lonely one who also has nothing ever positive or constructive to say, who would prefer to look down on others and believe no ones life is as hard as theirs!! Ok you win luv as I said before good luck and take care!!
Reply 27
Original post by thompson19
LOL me with the insults??? Luv I also orginally come from a council estate!! lol I remind you of a girl you know spending all my student loan on a nice place to live??? loooooooooooooooooooooooooool you don't know the half of it, thats how I know you really think you know everything about someone you haven't even met, but guess what darling you don't know my situation so don't even bother try!! Yes thinking about it you remind me of a person I know too, a very bitter, lonely one who also has nothing ever positive or constructive to say, who would prefer to look down on others and believe no ones life is as hard as theirs!! Ok you win luv as I said before good luck and take care!!

I don't care if you came from a council estate or not. I only told you where I came from because you called me a spoilt brat, which is from far the truth.

I hope whatever you spent your money on was worth getting a worthless degree for.

Other points;
I'm not your 'luv'.

It's spelt originally not 'orginally'. Things are starting to make more sense now.

I don't think I know everything about your situation at all. I was comparing you to someone I know because neither of you have worked hard (regarding your degree). You're upset about your result, and so will she be when she gets a crap result too. It's your fault and it will be her own fault too.

If you look at my posts to other people, they're very positive actually.

I don't need luck because I believe in working hard.

You do have a job. So just enjoy what you have and forget your rubbish degree. :smile: x
Reply 28
Have a look at Birkbeck, University of London, see if you like any of the Management Department courses, you gain credit for some modules, ELQ rules will apply to most courses but not all of them, still I think you might pay less than other places.
Reply 29
Original post by Mr-Dangerous
This man talks the truth and is straight talking.

It's true, 99% of what he is saying is very true.

Welcome to the real world OP.

Complaining about it on TSR isn't going to help, get off your lazy ass which you have been sitting on for the past 3 years, receiving 2:2's and do something about it.

We're not going to wrap you up in cotton wool just so the hits are easier to take.

**** happens. You don't get to stop it by being a nun or telling the truth or turning counter clockwise three times while facing the sun and clucking like a chicken, you get back up and deal with it. You win some you lose some, Stop being a pussy.

Fair enough however I am getting on with it, if you read through my comments you'll see that I'm currently working and hopefully one day going back to studying!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Work hard and you will do well. Maybe this proves studying isn't for you, or at least for now, start making your way up, get some experience etc and you could be just fine. Too many people have been brainwashed into believing that not have a degree or getting a low score is the end of the world, when really, it isn't.
Reply 31
Original post by jmv22
I don't care if you came from a council estate or not. I only told you where I came from because you called me a spoilt brat, which is from far the truth.

I hope whatever you spent your money on was worth getting a worthless degree for.

Other points;
I'm not your 'luv'.

It's spelt originally not 'orginally'. Things are starting to make more sense now.

I don't think I know everything about your situation at all. I was comparing you to someone I know because neither of you have worked hard (regarding your degree). You're upset about your result, and so will she be when she gets a crap result too. It's your fault and it will be her own fault too.

If you look at my posts to other people, they're very positive actually.

I don't need luck because I believe in working hard.

You do have a job. So just enjoy what you have and forget your rubbish degree. :smile: x

I won't even bother comment on your vocab looking through out your posts, either way I am moving forward putting the past behind me and I agree it is a rubbish result and maybe one day i'll get the chance to change it!! After all we all learn from our mistakes its part of growing up!! Thanks again to everyone else for the advice : )
Reply 32
Original post by pamelaa
and we do love hairy chests :love:

We do indeed. And hairy backs too :colondollar:
Can I just point out to the OP that most people on this forum are probably about 18 and thus don't really know the real world.

OP, a third isn't great, but it's better than nothing. Your work experience must count in your favour anyway which could help later down the line. I'm not sure what you can do as I would be surprised if you could get on to a masters, but you may as well give it a shot. Best of luck.
Reply 34
Original post by booksnob
We do indeed. And hairy backs too :colondollar:

LOL goodnight guys.xxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 35
Original post by tillytots
Work hard and you will do well. Maybe this proves studying isn't for you, or at least for now, start making your way up, get some experience etc and you could be just fine. Too many people have been brainwashed into believing that not have a degree or getting a low score is the end of the world, when really, it isn't.

I agree.
Reply 36
Original post by easter_bunny
Can I just point out to the OP that most people on this forum are probably about 18 and thus don't really know the real world.

OP, a third isn't great, but it's better than nothing. Your work experience must count in your favour anyway which could help later down the line. I'm not sure what you can do as I would be surprised if you could get on to a masters, but you may as well give it a shot. Best of luck.

Thank you very much!! : ))
Original post by pamelaa
and we do love hairy chests :love:

You do? :colone:
I got good grades at school and am now getting them at a decent uni in a mathematical subject.

I reckon school is equally or more academically challenging and requiring of intelligence. But uni is proving more tough for me overall. The biggest thing which is hurting my chances of a good degree grade is organization, and handling all the spare time (few lectures every day and not that much stuff to learn and do for the course). Most people can have organization. It's just a massive pain. I've missed exams worth big chunks of my grade because the exams can happen pretty much anywhere in my university city, the uni property being so spread out, making it difficult to get to the right place at the right time.

There are big penalties for missing deadlines. And they offer help classes for projects we have to do, but I don't have the organization and motivation to work out where and when these classes are happening. I get through the projects myself (mostly), but it's a lot more work than it must be for the people who go to the classes where they're apparently pretty much given the answers.

Also a degree lasts a long time and it's easy to get unhappy if you've just moved away from your nice parents' house with warm company in a nice area to a manky student flat full of ********s in a horrible area, and aren't having a good time. There are loads more people in a uni, so you can be treated like a nobody which can make your unhappiness worse. So how well you do can eventually become more of a question of your motivation and happiness than anything else.

So if you did well at school, I don't think you're stupid
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jmv22
I'm sorry but what the hell were you doing for all that time to get such a poor result???! You're either lazy or not very intelligent. Ask Tesco's for a job. There are people out there who don't get the chance to do a degree, so people like you who waste the opportunity make me sick. I don't care if you give me negative feedback, it's my opinion. Why should you get more financial help? So you can sit on your bum and fail again? So nothing at all will be paid back? And don't give me rubbish about being ill or having family problems because many of us have terrible problems and still succeed.
I don't understand why you got such a shock when you were getting 2:2 or above for most subjects... you were actually PLEASED with that? :confused: Wtf?

I have asked questions on here about really bad problems which have been through no fault of my own and have got some really bad comments. I see this as completely your fault and just can't understand why people are being so kind. :confused:

Enjoy signing on every week at the Job Centre. :smile:

what a ****

Latest

Trending

Trending