The Student Room Group

masters application now or later?

3rd year law student. got 2nd year results. overall average was a 59.25%. firstly idk if thats considered a 2:1 or 2:2 because some people say the university rounds up? bcuz of this i dont know whether to apply to a masters now (want to study international commercial law) or wait until i get a better grade and then apply after 3rd year? i want to start for September 2024. of course ill apply to unis with 2:2 entry requirements but idk what to do for ones with 2:1 requirements.

is my mark high enough? should i wait? any advice or clarity on my situation helpful.

added context: im pretty set on doing this masters and for reasons cant take a gap year and would prefer not going into work for a year and then coming back and applying.

thx.
Original post by ish23125
3rd year law student. got 2nd year results. overall average was a 59.25%. firstly idk if thats considered a 2:1 or 2:2 because some people say the university rounds up? bcuz of this i dont know whether to apply to a masters now (want to study international commercial law) or wait until i get a better grade and then apply after 3rd year? i want to start for September 2024. of course ill apply to unis with 2:2 entry requirements but idk what to do for ones with 2:1 requirements.

is my mark high enough? should i wait? any advice or clarity on my situation helpful.

added context: im pretty set on doing this masters and for reasons cant take a gap year and would prefer not going into work for a year and then coming back and applying.

thx.

Hey!

I would still apply this year as master's courses will normally have a spring/summer application deadline for 2024 entry which will most likely be before you get your 3rd year results anyway! I wouldn't worry about waiting until you get a better grade as universities tend to give you a conditional offer anyway (usually a 2:1). I applied for my master's course in 2021 without knowing my 3rd year grades and this is how it worked for me & I think if you waited until results, you would miss the deadline for 2024 entry :smile:

In terms of the rounding up, it normally depends on the unis so it's hard to say, you'll have to look in to your university's degree awarding process!

Hope this helps!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Hi!

You can apply for a masters now if you wish! I applied for mine super early and I got conditional offers. Once I got my third year results it then turns to unconditional so don't worry! I would apply before you get your third year results as it will give you plenty of time to decide and open up more options!

Your offer will be based on predicted grades, your personal statement and your references so don't worry if your year 2 results weren't the best! My year two results weren't great due to illness but I still received offers from DMU, Uni of Birmingham, Stafford University, University of Kent and University of Wolverhampton!

Best of luck,
Hannah
Psychology Student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending