The Student Room Group

LLB Law (M100)

Have mercy lord... this is killing me... someone help PLEASE:biggrin:

I have had offers from:

Uni of Sheffield
Uni of Leicester
Uni of Cardiff
Uni of Liverpool

Offers for Law M100 and i am unsure as to the one that will be good for a career in Law.
Besides the Russell Group universities i have heard Leicester is respectable but what is it like for graduate employment.

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

All good?
Reply 2
Original post by xxxchrisxxx

Original post by xxxchrisxxx
All good?

but Sheffield & Leicester are supposed to be really strong in Law...Liverpool is respectable

but surely one of them should be far ahead than the others

and i dont know why i chose Cardiff... im not going to far south.
Reply 3
All ok. Go where you want to go brah. They're very different places to go to uni and difference in rep are negligible. I think Liverpool is slightly below the others, but I mean if you want to work in Liverpool, it could hold you in the best stead. Look at the courses etc...it's like going on holiday - I don't know if you like skiing or relaxing on a beach. I'm serious - the uni choice really means diddly squat.
Reply 4
Original post by Rancorous

All ok. Go where you want to go brah. They're very different places to go to uni and difference in rep are negligible. I think Liverpool is slightly below the others, but I mean if you want to work in Liverpool, it could hold you in the best stead. Look at the courses etc...it's like going on holiday - I don't know if you like skiing or relaxing on a beach. I'm serious - the uni choice really means diddly squat.

thanks... which one would you choose -

Uni of Sheff LLB
Uni of Leicester LLB
Uni of Liverpool LLB
Uni of Leicester English BA

choose one please or rank them... :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by honestly
thanks... which one would you choose -

Uni of Sheff LLB
Uni of Leicester LLB
Uni of Liverpool LLB
Uni of Leicester English BA

choose one please or rank them... :smile:

You trolling brah?
Reply 6

You trolling brah?

what does trolling mean?
Reply 7
All good, none outstanding, out of those I'd go to Sheffield, if I were you OP, I'd visit them
Reply 8
none of them are fantastic for law but they are all good.
Visit them all and see which you prefer, if I was going to be super picky I would suggest that Liverpool maybe have the lowest rep but ther other 3 are very samey.
Just pick by which uni you would rather spend 3 years of your life at
Reply 9
Have mercy lord... this is killing me... someone help PLEASE:biggrin:

I have had offers from:

Uni of Sheffield
Uni of Leicester
Uni of Cardiff
Uni of Liverpool

Offers for Law M100 and i am unsure as to the one that will be good for a career in Law.
Besides the Russell Group universities i have heard Leicester is respectable but what is it like for graduate employment.

im doing the LLB course at kings, i started this year and the one advice i would give is make sure you check as many things as possible about each of the unis, and i mean it (along with the course details which im sure u are but which also i assume is the only thing you're really looking at). last year i blindly chose kings because of all the good things everybody was saying. now i regret that i didnt find out more about it before going.

specifically, check timetables, classes, location, accomodation, everything, absolutely everything.

first, kings for some reason had written in their prospectus that the law is in the strand campus. in fact, its in waterloo, a compleely different location, not too far but still significant difference for me in terms of transport.
secondly, ive got three horrible days in terms of timetable. on tuesday, ive got classes from 10-12, then a 2 hour break, then 2-3, then another hour break, then 4-6. on friday ive got one class at 9 and another one at 2. thursday, which is the worst, ive got one lesson at 9, one lesson at 12 and another one at 4. bearing in mind i dont live close to the campus - you possibly can imagine the amount of stress the so called "university of the year" is giving me. if it really was uni of the year, everything would've been more organised, enjoyful and far from stressing.
and this timetable is not only bad for me, even those who live in campuses complain about this - on thursday for example for some 3 hour of lectures we lose the whole day. whilst it the lessons were from 9 to 12, great, after that youre finished, you can do whatever you want. if this is what those who live in campus say, imagine how i would feel living about 1 hour far from uni.

make sure you check every single aspect of each university, trust me you probably are thinking that things such as timetables, location etc are not important - but trust me, if you want to go to a uni for three years, these small things can make your life soooooo stressing. at least of all, for me its been the worst, worst 3 months in my whole life ! everything has become sooooo bad that after A*s and always being the best student of all classes ive ever attended, now im at a stage where ive failed 4 of my 6 assignments, and got 50% (low 2.2) in the other 2.

please listen to the advice and make sure you go to the uni that fits best with ur character, if i can put it this way. i really dont want anybody else suffering for such stupid mistakes like the one i had blindedly make.
Reply 10
Original post by vahik92
im doing the LLB course at kings, i started this year and the one advice i would give is make sure you check as many things as possible about each of the unis, and i mean it (along with the course details which im sure u are but which also i assume is the only thing you're really looking at). last year i blindly chose kings because of all the good things everybody was saying. now i regret that i didnt find out more about it before going.

specifically, check timetables, classes, location, accomodation, everything, absolutely everything.

first, kings for some reason had written in their prospectus that the law is in the strand campus. in fact, its in waterloo, a compleely different location, not too far but still significant difference for me in terms of transport.
secondly, ive got three horrible days in terms of timetable. on tuesday, ive got classes from 10-12, then a 2 hour break, then 2-3, then another hour break, then 4-6. on friday ive got one class at 9 and another one at 2. thursday, which is the worst, ive got one lesson at 9, one lesson at 12 and another one at 4. bearing in mind i dont live close to the campus - you possibly can imagine the amount of stress the so called "university of the year" is giving me. if it really was uni of the year, everything would've been more organised, enjoyful and far from stressing.
and this timetable is not only bad for me, even those who live in campuses complain about this - on thursday for example for some 3 hour of lectures we lose the whole day. whilst it the lessons were from 9 to 12, great, after that youre finished, you can do whatever you want. if this is what those who live in campus say, imagine how i would feel living about 1 hour far from uni.

make sure you check every single aspect of each university, trust me you probably are thinking that things such as timetables, location etc are not important - but trust me, if you want to go to a uni for three years, these small things can make your life soooooo stressing. at least of all, for me its been the worst, worst 3 months in my whole life ! everything has become sooooo bad that after A*s and always being the best student of all classes ive ever attended, now im at a stage where ive failed 4 of my 6 assignments, and got 50% (low 2.2) in the other 2.

please listen to the advice and make sure you go to the uni that fits best with ur character, if i can put it this way. i really dont want anybody else suffering for such stupid mistakes like the one i had blindedly make.

Oh please. You sound incredibly complacent.

You expected uni to be a cakewalk? Cos you're top of the class...

Kings has an amazing tutorial lecture system, and the amount of contact time is really great. Compared to other unis, you get a lot for your money.

And what is this bull about waterloo and strand being far away? Its literally... 10 minutes over the bridge either way. 5 if you're fast. In the second year Law will be in Somerset house (providing it's refurbished by then)

Maybe you shouldn't be doing law, if you feel this way.
Reply 11
Original post by vahik92

Correct me if I am wrong but all unis have sporadic lectures/seminars. You need to remember there are limitations on the lecturers time and it is done for them not us. I know at Queen Marys it is the same and I have friends doing other subjects at other unis and their timetable is all over the place
Reply 12
Original post by draikzer

Kings has an amazing tutorial lecture system, and the amount of contact time is really great. Compared to other unis, you get a lot for your money.

And what is this bull about waterloo and strand being far away? Its literally... 10 minutes over the bridge either way. 5 if you're fast. In the second year Law will be in Somerset house (providing it's refurbished by then)

look, i didnt say i expected uni to be easy, but having a horrible and difficult timetable does not anyhow increase the value of the degree, does it?

and i dont know what they do in other unis, but u see, im international and im paying £12,500 a year and what i get in tutorials for example is a tutor who when coming to the class, for the first couple of minutes tries to remember what he was going to say, then when the students, including myself, ask them a question in which we expect a clear answer - he just says yes, thats your opinion and doesnt even understand that were asking a question and not trying to express our opinions. after which all the students - and this is not me but others - saying oh God this is useless, we better countdown the time remaining to just get out of this lesson.
and the lectures - the professors are good, i know this, but what they teach us seems to be quite difficult and even to some extent impossible to link with the exams, the way we are assessed. they teach us X is this, Y is this and maybe sometimes analysis e.g. the adv/disadvantages of X are this and this. but when we get assignments, it is very different from what we learn.
ive had a feedback on an assignment that i failed saying you did not mention any statute or law. but believe it or not, we never ever had looked at any single statute or law. for contract law we have been taught there are four elements required for contract - offer,acceptance,consideration,intention to create legal relations. great. this is very clear. but then when it comes to the assignment, i analyse a case using these four elements and then they say i failed because i didnt mention any laws. but there are like thousands of issues with this, here are some:
1st - how would i know which statutes to use or based on which laws we are learning what we are, when we never ever looked at statutes?
2nd - how do i know what exactly i am assessed at if never has anybody got a criteria for marking? what are professors looking for? knowledge? logical thinking? analysis? our opinions? our knowledge of laws? history and precedents? and if i dont know these things, how on earth am i going to pass anything?
3rd - there just seems nobody there to help with these questions - ok, uni is different from schools, its more of an independent work. i know this, i accept this. but at least we have to know some criteria for marking, so that we know on what to concentrate our studies on. at the moment, the only thing weve got are a load of books to read, which when compared with the assignments that we are given - seems completely insufficient - yes we gain knowledge from books, yes we are able to analyse our knowledge after having read the book - but look - having done all of these is only 50%. so what is the other 50%? what? what is it that the examiners are looking for?

im only saying this because you seem to be defending KCL, maybe it is good compared to other unis - i dont know,ive never been to other unis - but overall, given the situation ive described, what do you think, is this the standard process of uni?
Reply 13
Original post by vahik92
look, i didnt say i expected uni to be easy, but having a horrible and difficult timetable does not anyhow increase the value of the degree, does it?

and i dont know what they do in other unis, but u see, im international and im paying £12,500 a year and what i get in tutorials for example is a tutor who when coming to the class, for the first couple of minutes tries to remember what he was going to say, then when the students, including myself, ask them a question in which we expect a clear answer - he just says yes, thats your opinion and doesnt even understand that were asking a question and not trying to express our opinions. after which all the students - and this is not me but others - saying oh God this is useless, we better countdown the time remaining to just get out of this lesson.
and the lectures - the professors are good, i know this, but what they teach us seems to be quite difficult and even to some extent impossible to link with the exams, the way we are assessed. they teach us X is this, Y is this and maybe sometimes analysis e.g. the adv/disadvantages of X are this and this. but when we get assignments, it is very different from what we learn.
ive had a feedback on an assignment that i failed saying you did not mention any statute or law. but believe it or not, we never ever had looked at any single statute or law. for contract law we have been taught there are four elements required for contract - offer,acceptance,consideration,intention to create legal relations. great. this is very clear. but then when it comes to the assignment, i analyse a case using these four elements and then they say i failed because i didnt mention any laws. but there are like thousands of issues with this, here are some:
1st - how would i know which statutes to use or based on which laws we are learning what we are, when we never ever looked at statutes?
2nd - how do i know what exactly i am assessed at if never has anybody got a criteria for marking? what are professors looking for? knowledge? logical thinking? analysis? our opinions? our knowledge of laws? history and precedents? and if i dont know these things, how on earth am i going to pass anything?
3rd - there just seems nobody there to help with these questions - ok, uni is different from schools, its more of an independent work. i know this, i accept this. but at least we have to know some criteria for marking, so that we know on what to concentrate our studies on. at the moment, the only thing weve got are a load of books to read, which when compared with the assignments that we are given - seems completely insufficient - yes we gain knowledge from books, yes we are able to analyse our knowledge after having read the book - but look - having done all of these is only 50%. so what is the other 50%? what? what is it that the examiners are looking for?

im only saying this because you seem to be defending KCL, maybe it is good compared to other unis - i dont know,ive never been to other unis - but overall, given the situation ive described, what do you think, is this the standard process of uni?

The contact time at KCL is 100% better than other unis.

LSE, you don't get half of what you get at KCL

Oxford - you get an assignment every WEEK. Ours is easy in comparison.

The reason you failed is you havent done the reading, how do they expect you to know the law and cases and statute? Read the books, do the reading and if in doubt e-mail the professors or tutors. Or speak to someone at the compass. There's tonns of student support.

Also, what do you mean what we learn is different to the assignment? It's not. The essay questions are about topics we have covered in lectures (lectures do NOT give you the full picture. You have to fill in the gaps yourself) Problem questions are based on what we learn, you just have to read the textbooks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I'd go for Sheffield! It's got a strong academic reputation and when I had my work experience at Pinsent Masons there were many Sheffield alumni there.
Reply 15
Original post by vahik92

Original post by vahik92

wow! thanks for the advice, goodness me cant be that bad.... its Kings lol Kings degree would get one noticed by the legal sector. but nevertheless what you say is true, because i have this problem of liking a place and not liking it at all. I went to Newcastle hated it ... when i went to Birmingham i loved it. Hence the location of the uni is something i will take seriously. as to timetable, i willing to make a sacrifice, anything to get me a training contract, i will sacrifice for.

again many thanks...

Reply 16
wow! thanks for the advice, goodness me cant be that bad.... its Kings lol Kings degree would get one noticed by the legal sector. but nevertheless what you say is true, because i have this problem of liking a place and not liking it at all. I went to Newcastle hated it ... when i went to Birmingham i loved it. Hence the location of the uni is something i will take seriously. as to timetable, i willing to make a sacrifice, anything to get me a training contract, i will sacrifice for.

again many thanks...

you're welcome :smile: :wink:
Reply 17
Original post by vahik92

Original post by vahik92

Original post by vahik92

you said your an international student, what country do you come from? how do you manage or how are you going to pay for your fees? seems expensive :frown:
Reply 18
you said your an international student, what country do you come from? how do you manage or how are you going to pay for your fees? seems expensive :frown:

well, im from Armenia, ive raised the money from family really, who have given me the money with the faith that im a bright student and will not dissapoint anybody,,as if I may say so im so far the only person in the family who has gone this far in education - all of my family are educated to a university level, but UK unis have better reputation. there hasnt really been talks about giving the money back, but my plans are to give the money back to my family as soon as i finish my degree and get a job... so thats how i managed to pay for uni.... however due to the recent failures at uni im very stressed - if u have read what ive written above and all the problems i have - all that would not cause as much stress as it does now if i didnt get the money from my family. by taking the money from others I kind of fall under pressure to do well, everyone expects me to and everyone supports me and im soooooooooooo afraid of letting them down ! i wudnt care much if i had all the money myself , letting myself down is ok, i can get over it, but letting others down - im afraid i wont even be able to look them in the eyes if i fail - look in the eyes of people who i love soooooo much and who have shown how much they want me to succeed by giving an enormous amount of money to me - about £40,000 :frown:
Original post by draikzer

In all fairness, the law building is a complete dive and has been for years. I was wondering when they are going to take the scaffolding down... 3 years ago, lol.

Also the tutorials/lectures actually are exactly the same at other unis. Apart from - at least it was the case - in the second year you got biweekly tutorials instead of weekly ones - which isn't great at all - but it may have changed back now. Also the year groups have been much greater than at other unis.

I'd say by the admin you (don't) get, you actually get less for your money. Every little thing that needs doing there will be a problem - which is especially bad when you come to send of lpc applications and vac schemes and they can't even access your grades/references.

Needless to say, kcl is a great uni - everywhere has its flaws, I'd say that aside it's probably the best place to study in london.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending