The Student Room Group

Asking for feedback from universities if you have been rejected?

Okay, so I would like to ask for some feedback from the two universities I did not get an interview for, just to know what was wrong with my application really to help me in the future.
I'm just wondering, do a lot of people do this, ask for feedback?
As in its not considered rude or annoying to the university (especially if I intend to reapply to the same university next year)?
If anyone else has asked for feedback, who exactly did they email, and what did you say?
If you could show me a copy of the email you sent or something?
Because i'm not really sure on how to go about this!
Thank you!
It's perfectly reasonable to ask for feedback about your application, although most will probably just say that you didn't meet the criteria for this intake.
Reply 2
Original post by Gemma :)!
It's perfectly reasonable to ask for feedback about your application, although most will probably just say that you didn't meet the criteria for this intake.

Ah okay, so they wont really give a very useful reason :/
Original post by Bounce7
Ah okay, so they wont really give a very useful reason :/

They might, but a lot are really busy around this time! It is worth trying though, as you said, you'd be able to improve your application in future :smile:
I asked for feedback form St Andrews and they sent me a basic 'too many students for the places' speil, but said to contact an address if you had any further enquiries. I sent quite an emotional letter [I was devastated] which is quite embarrassing to look back on now! but I got a personal letter written back about my application and what the situation was [for instance, they informed me that as I didn't have a language they wanted to make sure my predicted grades were realised and so said if I reapplied the next year, I was guaranteed a place, which I wouldn't have known if I hadn't contacted them. I decided not to go with that option in the end, but it was nice to know it was there.
So yeh, I'd contact them and push. You have every right to know why you were rejected. Don't be rude and respect that they're busy, but ask for answers not a generalised reason why everyone else didn't get in either.
Reply 5
Original post by fredscarecrow
I asked for feedback form St Andrews and they sent me a basic 'too many students for the places' speil, but said to contact an address if you had any further enquiries. I sent quite an emotional letter [I was devastated] which is quite embarrassing to look back on now! but I got a personal letter written back about my application and what the situation was [for instance, they informed me that as I didn't have a language they wanted to make sure my predicted grades were realised and so said if I reapplied the next year, I was guaranteed a place, which I wouldn't have known if I hadn't contacted them. I decided not to go with that option in the end, but it was nice to know it was there.
So yeh, I'd contact them and push. You have every right to know why you were rejected. Don't be rude and respect that they're busy, but ask for answers not a generalised reason why everyone else didn't get in either.

Ah okay that is actually really good you asked for feedback then. Because I am definately considering reapplying to the same unis the next year. Ah, were you applying to english literature by any chance? and they meant you didn't have a foreign language?
Because if so, then that is me too ha!
thank you very much for the advice that was very helpful :smile:
Reply 6
Worst that can happen is you get a semi-automated email. Go for it, you've got nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain :smile:
Original post by Bounce7
Ah okay that is actually really good you asked for feedback then. Because I am definately considering reapplying to the same unis the next year. Ah, were you applying to english literature by any chance? and they meant you didn't have a foreign language?
Because if so, then that is me too ha!
thank you very much for the advice that was very helpful :smile:

Medieval History. They like you to have a language at A-Level standard, which I didn't, but I was predicted three As. They don't like to go on predicted grades alone so it counts against you...so with no language and only predicted grades, I had two strikes if that makes sense. If I reapplied the next year, I'd have my official grades, therefore I'd meet enough criteria to get in...or something like that. I wasn't prepared to wait a year, but it could be worth knowing.
If you're looknig to reapply to the same unis, it's definitely worth pushing for feedback .Each year the competition gets harder, so you'll need to up your application so definitely try and find out where you fell short.
Reply 8
Original post by fredscarecrow
Medieval History. They like you to have a language at A-Level standard, which I didn't, but I was predicted three As. They don't like to go on predicted grades alone so it counts against you...so with no language and only predicted grades, I had two strikes if that makes sense. If I reapplied the next year, I'd have my official grades, therefore I'd meet enough criteria to get in...or something like that. I wasn't prepared to wait a year, but it could be worth knowing.
If you're looknig to reapply to the same unis, it's definitely worth pushing for feedback .Each year the competition gets harder, so you'll need to up your application so definitely try and find out where you fell short.

Ah okay I understand what you mean, because predicted grades are not always accurate.
mm okay, I think I am prepared to wait a year, so I will definitely push for feed back, but i'm just not 100% sure what to say in the email. I'll draft one now haha!
thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending