The Student Room Group

I feel like ****

Hi,

I am currently a second year university student and doing really badly. For reference my first year I averaged at a 69 and for the first time in my life I felt really smart and that I had a good work life balance. I was away from home and living on campus which was really fun although I didn't really make any friends I was still content.

For second year I couldn't afford to move out my house so I was stuck at home. A lot of strikes were happening and I guess from a lack of concentration I feel like I'm falling behind.

Also since next year is my final year and I'm not planning on doing a masters I have been applying for internships whilst trying to get my final assessments finished. Every day I get a rejection email which makes it harder to concentrate and then I got an assessment back that I thought I did well in but ended with a 63 - the score was valid but it still stung.

I have been using the feedback to improve my essays but it doesn't seem to be helping and I wanted to work in writing and editorial but not it feels like I am not good enough to do so.

I don't know what I am doing with my life.
Hi!
I’ve just come across this thread, you probably won’t believe it, but you are doing great! It’s easy to focus on the negative when it comes to grades, but university is so so difficult. You should be more proud of yourself.

I’m only in first year, but I totally understand the not making many friends. It’s rubbish, uni is nothing at all like I thought it would be! I’m moving out alone for year 2. It has been an awful few months. The course is also nothing like I thought it would be, even though I attended many open days and did a lot of research. I feel like going has been one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. It all feels like the biggest waste, of time, money and stress, but I genuinely have no idea what I would be doing if I wasn’t studying.

It is normal to not know what you’re doing! No one figures it out for years and years to come. You are good enough to do what you’re hoping to become, there are always set backs in life, but if you truly love it then you have to push through even if it feels absolutely pointless. Keep doing your best, which you are! I hope things get better for you :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi!
I’ve just come across this thread, you probably won’t believe it, but you are doing great! It’s easy to focus on the negative when it comes to grades, but university is so so difficult. You should be more proud of yourself.

I’m only in first year, but I totally understand the not making many friends. It’s rubbish, uni is nothing at all like I thought it would be! I’m moving out alone for year 2. It has been an awful few months. The course is also nothing like I thought it would be, even though I attended many open days and did a lot of research. I feel like going has been one of the worst decisions I’ve ever made. It all feels like the biggest waste, of time, money and stress, but I genuinely have no idea what I would be doing if I wasn’t studying.

It is normal to not know what you’re doing! No one figures it out for years and years to come. You are good enough to do what you’re hoping to become, there are always set backs in life, but if you truly love it then you have to push through even if it feels absolutely pointless. Keep doing your best, which you are! I hope things get better for you :smile:

Thank you sooo much. I wish I met more people like you at uni. I feel like everyone is doing so much better than me. Also I'm south asian and just entered my 20's my parents have already started talking about marriage and stuff. They keep saying stuff like that we're going to get them married soon (me and my sister). I feel like the only way to get them off my back is getting a good job and becoming independent but in this current climate it seems impossible. I really need a job post graduate but with no real experience its really hard. I'm trying to be hopeful but its hard.
Hi,

I am currently a second year university student and doing really badly. For reference my first year I averaged at a 69 and for the first time in my life I felt really smart and that I had a good work life balance. I was away from home and living on campus which was really fun although I didn't really make any friends I was still content.

For second year I couldn't afford to move out my house so I was stuck at home. A lot of strikes were happening and I guess from a lack of concentration I feel like I'm falling behind.

Also since next year is my final year and I'm not planning on doing a masters I have been applying for internships whilst trying to get my final assessments finished. Every day I get a rejection email which makes it harder to concentrate and then I got an assessment back that I thought I did well in but ended with a 63 - the score was valid but it still stung.

I have been using the feedback to improve my essays but it doesn't seem to be helping and I wanted to work in writing and editorial but not it feels like I am not good enough to do so.

Hi there,

First of all, I want to thank you for reaching out and seeking support. It takes a lot of courage to admit that you're struggling and to ask for help. You've already taken the first step towards feeling better.

It sounds like you're going through a tough time right now. I want you to know that it's okay to struggle and to not have everything figured out. You're not alone in feeling lost or uncertain about your future. Many students go through similar experiences, especially during their second year of university.

It's important to remember that your worth is not determined by your grades or by whether or not you get an internship. You are more than your academic achievements or career aspirations. You have inherent value just by being you.

That being said, it's understandable to feel disappointed or frustrated when things don't go according to plan. Receiving rejection emails and feedback that stings can be tough to handle. However, I encourage you to view these experiences as opportunities for growth and learning. Use the feedback to improve your skill.

I encourage you to reach out to your university's support services. Talking to a professional can be incredibly helpful in navigating difficult times and developing coping strategies.

Remember, you are capable of overcoming this and finding a path that is right for you. Don't give up on yourself. Keep pushing forward and seeking support when you need it.

Take care.

- Ilya :smile:
Thank you sooo much. I wish I met more people like you at uni. I feel like everyone is doing so much better than me. Also I'm south asian and just entered my 20's my parents have already started talking about marriage and stuff. They keep saying stuff like that we're going to get them married soon (me and my sister). I feel like the only way to get them off my back is getting a good job and becoming independent but in this current climate it seems impossible. I really need a job post graduate but with no real experience its really hard. I'm trying to be hopeful but its hard.

Trust me most people feel the same way that you do, I think we just don’t see it as a lot of people don’t talk openly about it or they hide it with the social aspects! It’s very difficult at this stage, but you are so young! You will find a job and you will be able to be independent, do you have placements? You could speak to your course leaders or well-being team and see if they have any advice on internships or placements!
Sadly you just have to face some obstacles in order to get where you want to be. It’ll all be worth it in the end!
Hi,

Hi there,
It can be really hard to feel this way with your studies- it sounds like you work really hard though. If it is your assignments that are causing you distress then it might be a good idea to speak to the marker themselves and ask them to expand on their feedback as even though you try to apply it you don't always feel this is reflected in your grades. Again with receiving rejection emails, whilst it can knock confidence it might be worth asking them for some feedback as to why you were rejected and what you could improve on. This might feel difficult but could give you a good understanding on the way forward.
I hope this helps,

good luck
Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending