The Student Room Group

What if you don’t agree with your grade?

Hi there,

I have just completed a MA degree and got my final grade yesterday. I completely disagree with the feedback from my ‘supervisor’ regarding my script, because it’s incorrect, she criticised the way I explained sound effects, yet I took the advice from the course manager on that issue plus she says the situation wouldn’t happen in real life…. It’s bloody comedy!

What do I do? It’s virtually impossible to appeal as Universities won’t allow a ‘challenge to academic judgement’ - yet with comedy being subjective, that makes zero sense! God forbid a tutor/lecturer/supervisor may actually be wrong.

I know this sounds like sour grapes and it’s not. If the feedback was justified l, I’d graciously accept it, but the fact is, it makes zero sense!
Reply 1
A few questions. Do you disagree with ALL of the feedback? Were there disagreements during the supervision process? Did your supervisor offer feedback which you chose to reject? Did you participate fully in the supervisory process, attend tutorials, submit drafts etc?

The mark is unlikely to be final yet, as it will go through internal and external verification. So now is the time to go back for additional feedback from your supervisor. That has to be the first stop I'm afraid. The only issue here whether or not the work has been marked fairly against the assessment criteria. Before you do this, I suggest that you go over the feedback really carefully to understand how the mark has been arrived at. You would need to do this anyway if you decided to appeal.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I have just completed a MA degree and got my final grade yesterday. I completely disagree with the feedback from my ‘supervisor’ regarding my script, because it’s incorrect, she criticised the way I explained sound effects, yet I took the advice from the course manager on that issue plus she says the situation wouldn’t happen in real life…. It’s bloody comedy!

What do I do? It’s virtually impossible to appeal as Universities won’t allow a ‘challenge to academic judgement’ - yet with comedy being subjective, that makes zero sense! God forbid a tutor/lecturer/supervisor may actually be wrong.

I know this sounds like sour grapes and it’s not. If the feedback was justified l, I’d graciously accept it, but the fact is, it makes zero sense!

Hello

I hope you're well, I know it can be hard to sometimes get contradictory feedback. My best advice to you would be to speak to another member of your academic team, not the person who marked it and see if there is any way you can get support to appeal this grade. I once asked my grade to be moderated as I didn't agree and my university was very supportive. Just try, the worst they can say is no! If members of the academic team don't appear to be as helpful as you need, it would be worth liasing with the overall faculty / subject that you did your degree under. Hope that makes sense!

Kind regards
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending