The Student Room Group

Solve the dilemma!

I have applied for G100 Mathematics and I have two offers so far:

*Offer - Bath A*AA (Excellent sports facilities) (Excellent for Maths)

*Offer York AAB

I also intend to apply for a 'ABB' University and at the moment Glasgow is, on balance my preferred destination. Feel free to suggest others though!

- Glasgow ABB

These are the three offers I require for my strategy; which would give me three options, depending on how January goes, for when I need to decide to make an offer a Firm or Insurance choice.

This leaves me two spaces, with three more I want to apply to! If I were to receive offers from the below they would replace one of the above options of either my high, middle or low offer.

Imperial A*A*A (Admittedly slim chance of offer, and would be difficult to obtain grades, but most prestigious University and in arguably best city in Uk)

Nottingham AAB (This would be alternative to York. Better for Maths? Better nightlife? Not as reputable as York overall.)

Bristol AAA (Alternative to Bath, lower offer easier to obtain and also in the City which would suit me better, however I really value the sports facilities and quality of maths course)

So which two out of the above three should I apply for? After applying to Bath and York, it was unfortunately only after this that I realised I was looking into the rankings to much and was forgetting where I would prefer to live.

I could apply to

Bristol and Imperial - This would give me more chance of a city for top choice but would mean York over Nottingham

Bristol and Nottingham - Good city for all my choices this way If I receive offer, but would I regret not applying to Imperial if I got the grades?....

Nottingham and Imperial Because Imperial is a small chance this would mean my first choice would probably be in a fairly quiet place, in Bath.

I really cannot decide whatsoever, I need to make a decision by this weekend, any help would be appreciated.
Original post by robinyourpersie
I have applied for G100 Mathematics and I have two offers so far:

*Offer - Bath A*AA (Excellent sports facilities) (Excellent for Maths)

*Offer York AAB

I also intend to apply for a 'ABB' University and at the moment Glasgow is, on balance my preferred destination. Feel free to suggest others though!

- Glasgow ABB

These are the three offers I require for my strategy; which would give me three options, depending on how January goes, for when I need to decide to make an offer a Firm or Insurance choice.

This leaves me two spaces, with three more I want to apply to! If I were to receive offers from the below they would replace one of the above options of either my high, middle or low offer.

Imperial A*A*A (Admittedly slim chance of offer, and would be difficult to obtain grades, but most prestigious University and in arguably best city in Uk)

Nottingham AAB (This would be alternative to York. Better for Maths? Better nightlife? Not as reputable as York overall.)

Bristol AAA (Alternative to Bath, lower offer easier to obtain and also in the City which would suit me better, however I really value the sports facilities and quality of maths course)

So which two out of the above three should I apply for? After applying to Bath and York, it was unfortunately only after this that I realised I was looking into the rankings to much and was forgetting where I would prefer to live.

I could apply to

Bristol and Imperial - This would give me more chance of a city for top choice but would mean York over Nottingham

Bristol and Nottingham - Good city for all my choices this way If I receive offer, but would I regret not applying to Imperial if I got the grades?....

Nottingham and Imperial Because Imperial is a small chance this would mean my first choice would probably be in a fairly quiet place, in Bath.

I really cannot decide whatsoever, I need to make a decision by this weekend, any help would be appreciated.

As long as you're happy enough with York, I'd forget Nottingham - it's not like it has a world-class maths course that alone makes it worth applying to regardless of any other factor. You sound like you'd be happiest in a city (although Bath is hardly dead, and it close to Bristol anyway), so in your position I would apply to Bristol and Imperial.
Original post by TheSownRose
As long as you're happy enough with York, I'd forget Nottingham - it's not like it has a world-class maths course that alone makes it worth applying to regardless of any other factor. You sound like you'd be happiest in a city (although Bath is hardly dead, and it close to Bristol anyway), so in your position I would apply to Bristol and Imperial.

Thanks for your reply! So do you think that Bristol is, on balance, a better University(for me) overall than Bath, than Nottingham is than York?

Or are you saying that York is better than Nottingham, which simply leaves the other two. If so which would you recommend out of Bath and Bristol lol?

By the way, did you take STEP? I know there is information on it here, but I hadn't planned on taking it. Apparently some people have offers from Imperial that are A*A*A (a stretch as it is!) in addition to STEP. How much of a detriment to your A-level results would you say it was, assuming you took it?

Thanks
Reply 3
I think you need to take into account the availability of cock in each of these cities.
Just go where you think you will have the best time , the city you like most.
Thanks for your reply! So do you think that Bristol is, on balance, a better University(for me) overall than Bath, than Nottingham is than York?

Or are you saying that York is better than Nottingham, which simply leaves the other two. If so which would you recommend out of Bath and Bristol lol?

By the way, did you take STEP? I know there is information on it here, but I hadn't planned on taking it. Apparently some people have offers from Imperial that are A*A*A (a stretch as it is!) in addition to STEP. How much of a detriment to your A-level results would you say it was, assuming you took it?

Thanks

I think you don't sound unhappy with York, whereas you sound vary wary of Bath. Bath was one of my top choices (also for maths, although I didn't do STEP I'm afraid) ... but that means nothing, and a lot of people wouldn't like it. So yes, IMO you should forget Nottingham and apply to Bristol and Imperial ... unless you actually like Nottingham.

If you do, then comes the choice - would you rather regret something or avoid Bath? In your position, I would give myself the best chance of not going to Bath and apply to Bristol and Nottingham, forget Imperial.
Original post by Lord Nice
I think you need to take into account the availability of cock in each of these cities.

Ah, so you're voting for Imperial?
Reply 7
Ah, so you're voting for Imperial?

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with London. Is it slut central?
Original post by Lord Nice
I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with London. Is it slut central?

Parts of it. And Imperial is a bit of sausage-fest.

Have you applied?
Reply 9
Nottingham (and Glasgow) are better for Maths than York according to this:

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=8727

And Nottingham (and particularly Glasgow) are almost certainly better socially than York.

Glasgow has huge age behind it (15th century) and both Glasgow and Nottingham are often regarded as 2 of the prettiest universities in the UK with thriving social scenes (York doesn't even have a proper students union- Glasgow is about the only one in the UK to have TWO). So why would you pick York? (that's up to you). The ancient city is pretty (but relatively small and touristy, remember) - no good for going out in large numbers with students, it's only good as a place for a romantic weekend in one of its lovely hotels - but that's not what staying at the University of York is going to provide - it's a 1960s campus that, for a long time, was predominantly built to be good in the sciences rather than the arts. To be fair, in the last 10 years the University of York has recently got itself in gear, after nearly 40 years of slumber, and built some buildings that are actually nice to look at (Central Hall was always distinctive though) but you also have to take in to account the location, location , location. It's not in a particularly great area of York and it's at the backend of some suburb just before a tiny village called Heslington.

Warwick is about on a par with Imperial for prestige in Maths.
(edited 13 years ago)
I think you don't sound unhappy with York, whereas you sound vary wary of Bath. Bath was one of my top choices (also for maths, although I didn't do STEP I'm afraid) ... but that means nothing, and a lot of people wouldn't like it. So yes, IMO you should forget Nottingham and apply to Bristol and Imperial ... unless you actually like Nottingham.

If you do, then comes the choice - would you rather regret something or avoid Bath? In your position, I would give myself the best chance of not going to Bath and apply to Bristol and Nottingham, forget Imperial.

Thanks you have been very helpful. It seems the problem is that I don't really know what I want...

I am happy with Bath, I've just got that slight twinge of doubt about it being too small.

I've just read 'The Virgin guide of British Universities' and Imperial doesn't have a great write up! (Can anyone confirm/deny this?)

Bristol I would be happy with I just have a slight twinge of doubt that Bath would actually be better for Maths, and I'd be missing the excellent sport facilities.

I have to admit I haven't yet visited Nottingham and Glasgow. I've heard good things about Nottingham though, described as a smaller version of Manchester. And although I know I shouldn't read into rankings too much Nottingham has been rated 20th overall and 14th for Maths, whereas York is 9th overall and 32nd for Maths. Which degree would be valued most?

The thing is I won't be able to visit them until after January!So I will have to decide out of remaining offers.

Let me give you some extra information. I haven't actually got offers from York and Bath, but I have a written agreement from both that I will be given the above offers if I reply. This is because I applied last year but was not able to take my exams due to illness.

So If I were to apply solely to Nottingham, then waited for an offer/rejection this would enable me to just make a decision on Bristol/Imperial, or both If I have an offer and forget York.

Or would this be too risky, considering the time to wait for this, and then possibly less chance of an offer from Bristol/Imperial/Glasgow
Reply 11

I have to admit I haven't yet visited Nottingham and Glasgow. I've heard good things about Nottingham though, described as a smaller version of Manchester. And although I know I shouldn't read into rankings too much Nottingham has been rated 20th overall and 14th for Maths, whereas York is 9th overall and 32nd for Maths. Which degree would be valued most?

Never go on ranking alone is my advice. Unless you are a machine the character of the place matters so visit them all. There is no set rule - you may find that the department seems merely 'good' but the brilliance of the rest of the university in academic or other matters kind of rubs off on you (or vice versa).

Rankings change. What won't change is that York was founded in 1963. Nottingham is much older- there were points where Nottingham was top 10 overall.

You need to decide what constitutes, most importantly, a happy productive working environment to YOU.
To me, Maths at Nottingham is slightly more prestigious than Maths at York and Maths at Warwick or Durham is definitely more prestigious than either.

I don't think that the overall ranking of York has necessarily impressed itself massively on the populace in the way that Warwick has. And it's about equal with Leicester overall anyway, which itself is often underrated.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
Never go on ranking alone is my advice. Unless you are a machine the character of the place matters so visit them all. There is no set rule - you may find that the department seems merely 'good' but the brilliance of the rest of the university in academic or other matters kind of rubs off on you (or vice versa).

Rankings change. What won't change is that York was founded in 1963. Nottingham is much older- there were points where Nottingham was top 10 overall.

You need to decide what constitutes, most importantly, a happy productive working environment to YOU.
To me, Maths at Nottingham is slightly more prestigious than Maths at York and Maths at Warwick or Durham is definitely more prestigious than either.

I don't think that the overall ranking of York has necessarily impressed itself massively on the populace in the way that Warwick has. And it's about equal with Leicester overall anyway, which itself is often underrated.

Thanks for your input, I have now provisionally decided to apply to Nottingham and Bristol as the remaining two choices.

Out of interest which do you value more Bath or Bristol?

For me Durham is too out of the way, and Warwick is too close and I dislike Coventry, but thanks.
Reply 13
Please don't base your decision on me or anyone else - that would be too much responsibility to bear (I've never visited any of those universities apart from York and Bristol and Bath wouldn't have even have been on my radar because they are so far away from me).

This table suggests that York is better than Nottingham for Applied Maths for instance:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6643

but you'll find all kinds of tables online saying different things.

Please make a visit to all of those places to see how you personally feel about them and the people who teach and study there. You were worried about Bath feelling too small and York, too, was a small university but the Heslington East extension must have surely served to increase student numbers. I just didn't like the feel of the place at the particular time that I studied there (several years before they revitalised the campus) and I must declare that as a biased opinion rather than fact.

Did you consider Edinburgh too?

Do you have a preference of university type? e.g. (ancient, redbrick, 60s)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Picnic1
Please don't base your decision on me or anyone else - that would be too much responsibility to bear (I've never visited any of those universities apart from York and Bristol and Bath wouldn't have even have been on my radar because they are so far away from me).

This table suggests that York is better than Nottingham for Applied Maths for instance:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/single.htm?ipg=6643

but you'll find all kinds of tables online saying different things.

Please make a visit to all of those places to see how you personally feel about them and the people who teach and study there. You were worried about Bath feelling too small and York, too, was a small university but the Heslington East extension must have surely served to increase student numbers. I just didn't like the feel of the place at the particular time that I studied there (several years before they revitalised the campus) and I must declare that as a biased opinion rather than fact.

Did you consider Edinburgh too?

Do you have a preference of university type? e.g. (ancient, redbrick, 60s)

The problem is I won't be able to visit any of them until after January 15th, so I will be able to make my final decision based on looking around but not who I decide to apply to.

I considered the typical A*A*A offer from Imperial fairly demanding and amidst rumours they are offers this WITH a suitable qualification from STEP has put me off. Also it seems like the balance isn't that good there, and expensive. Although because Bath offer is confirmed is it worth a risk?

Lol you visited Bristol but though Bath was too far away, they are right next to eachother?

I don't really have a University preference type. I'm only concerned with, course quality, reputation, and good place to live. With all three being as high as possible!

I considered Edinburgh but going that far away would be a last option for me, i.e why Glasgow is my backup. And out of Glasgow and Edinburgh, Glasgow have grades which would be 'safe'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending