The Student Room Group

what is your conception of morality?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by rajandkwameali
I just think that morality is non-existent, and most moral rules we have are for show.

there are no benchmarks and rules in life.

so if you think we have moral rules then how do you think morality is non-existent?

morality is created by humans. It is subjective, but in a society everyone agrees to stand by the same set of rules. Whether they always stick to those rules is irrelevant.
Original post by edanon
so if you think we have moral rules then how do you think morality is non-existent?

morality is created by humans. It is subjective, but in a society everyone agrees to stand by the same set of rules. Whether they always stick to those rules is irrelevant.

there are no moral rules, period.
Reply 22
there are no moral rules, period.

you can state what you think to be fact all day... but are you going to bother explaining why?

Here's my statement:

there is no objective morality. There is subjective morality. Morality is simply a way of living life. If someone adheres to their own way of living life with regard to ethics then they are following their own morals.
Reply 23
Morality doesnt exist.

Killing something isnt a bad thing,we make it a bad act.Rape,murder etc etc is all the same.

Its just things people do.Not bad not good.
Reply 24
Morlaity is what is 'right', fair, just, etc, all that.

For me, as long as you're not hurting anyone else, do what you like.
Reply 25
Original post by Amuroray
Morality doesnt exist.

Killing something isnt a bad thing,we make it a bad act.Rape,murder etc etc is all the same.

Its just things people do.Not bad not good.

So if I come and murder your friends and family for no reason, it's cool? :rolleyes:
Reply 26
Original post by .Ali.
So if I come and murder your friends and family for no reason, it's cool? :rolleyes:

You clearly dont understand.I have grown up in a society that makes murder a bad act and in a soceity that shows that we must love our family so naturally i would think its bad.If it was the other way round in which i didnt care about my family(i dont really now)or murder was deemed right i wouldnt care.

Its all to do with how society deems if the act is good or not.

Now dont quote me again you silly cow.
Reply 27
Original post by StephenP91
Morality doesn't exist.

i agree, moral facts don't exist.
Reply 28
Original post by Amuroray
You clearly dont understand.I have grown up in a society that makes murder a bad act and in a soceity that shows that we must love our family so naturally i would think its bad.If it was the other way round in which i didnt care about my family(i dont really now)or murder was deemed right i wouldnt care.
I agree to some extent, however, I believe that there is (in a lot of people at least) a natural sense of right and wrong, I don't understand how you can say there isn't/

Its all to do with how society deems if the act is good or not.

Now dont quote me again you silly cow
You're rather rude.
Original post by edanon
you can state what you think to be fact all day... but are you going to bother explaining why?

Here's my statement:

there is no objective morality. There is subjective morality. Morality is simply a way of living life. If someone adheres to their own way of living life with regard to ethics then they are following their own morals.

I will explain that anything goes in life, or should go. Why do we need restrictions or ethical judgments? People should act freely and accordingly.

I have grown up in a society that makes murder a bad act and in a soceity that shows that we must love our family so naturally i would think its bad

lol... when does society say that?
Original post by .Ali.

Why does this matter?
Original post by .Ali.
I agree to some extent, however, I believe that there is (in a lot of people at least) a natural sense of right and wrong, I don't understand how you can say there isn't/

You're rather rude.

Only in the sense that human beings hold a sense of empathy/humanity. other than that, there are no ethical judgments of consequence.
Reply 32
Only in the sense that human beings hold a sense of empathy/humanity. other than that, there are no ethical judgments of consequence.

Well yes, and empathy is what causes morality.
Original post by .Ali.
Well yes, and empathy is what causes morality.

No. morality is just empty rules/values.
Reply 34
I will explain that anything goes in life, or should go. Why do we need restrictions or ethical judgments? People should act freely and accordingly.

they do act freely and accordingly. morality is simply common human empathy enforced as law.

murderers kill because they want to. others lock them up because they want to.
Reply 35
No. morality is just empty rules/values.

how are they empty? do you think people come up with laws/morality arbitrarily? they are just a development of peoples emotions. well, some of them are... others are from what people believe to be god etc.
Law is for social control/cohesion and not morality. The idea that legality and morality are linked is a false argument.

The idea that we should subscribe to "common morals" is also false.
Reply 37
Law is for social control/cohesion and not morality.

statements again but no explanations...

The idea that legality and morality are linked is a false argument.

why? not all laws are to do with emotional values but many are.

The idea that we should subscribe to "common morals" is also false.

there is no "should" i agree... but that doesn't stop people wanting others to adhere to their common law. people do what they want. the majority view usually forces the minority to subscribe to their common morality.
(edited 13 years ago)
Morality is relative, so all that law does is enforce the common/general morality in a given country. Social rules in social species like our own evolve out of co-operation and the common good. This is why laws essentially exist, not due to morals. What does constitutional law or corporate law have to do with ethics/morality? It's to provide a common benchmark/framework.

There are common norms in social conduct, but in ethical terms anything goes.
Reply 39
Morality is relative, so all that law does is enforce the common/general morality in a given country.

yes, so?

Social rules in social species like our own evolve out of co-operation and the common good.

they are inbuilt into our psychology due to evolution, yes. they are common shared feelings, like empathy, guilt, shame, love.

This is why laws essentially exist, not due to morals.

Morals and ethical laws are basically the same. The upset caused, in most people, by things like murder is deemed as morally wrong. then, as society develops and we create laws the morality helps to build the laws. to cut the middle out we can just say that emotions help create our laws.

What does constitutional law or corporate law have to do with ethics/morality? It's to provide a common benchmark/framework.

to a degree yes. some laws, though, will have been built upon the FEELINGS that it is wrong to steal or con.

There are common norms in social conduct, but in ethical terms anything goes.

what do you mean "anything goes"? there is no god to lay down the law. anything does go.. in the sense that people do what they feel. and that feeling, in this society, is that we lock up murderers and rapists. it is a free for all yes... but because people share common feelings we enforce our human laws on people.

what are you trying to say exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending