The Student Room Group

Would love comments on my a level choices for computer science.

Hey guys.

I chosen a levels: maths, further maths, physics and computing to pursue a degree in computer science. I would really love to get into likes of cambridge, imperial etc.

I was wondering what your thoughts are as to my chosen courses, do you think that they are two narrow? no breadth? particularly since I'm taking further maths-continuation of maths, and computing which is not really required.

What do you think? should I do something else to make up for lack of variety?
Reply 1
I think that Maths + FM will open many doors to you. It's a widely sought after subject in computer sciences.

Although computing isn't necessary if you haven't done any programming before then i think it's a good course to get started with. It gives you a taster of things to come.

As for physics; if you enjoy it, do it. Simple as.

If you're keen on going to cambridge those subjects are fine; you need to get a high % in them.
Computing will attempt to destroy you.

For some reason it's not considered a 'hard' A-Level by Oxbridge... this is undeniable proof that they are stark, raving mad.
Reply 3
haha.... I actually read a book commenting on weird oxbridge philosophies.
btw.. loving your title: "Vengeful, Imperial overlord of the student room" beats an "Idol" any day.
Reply 4
Computing at A-level is the most boring subject in existence, but if it floats your boat.
Original post by h2shin
Hey guys.

I chosen a levels: maths, further maths, physics and computing to pursue a degree in computer science. I would really love to get into likes of cambridge, imperial etc.

I was wondering what your thoughts are as to my chosen courses, do you think that they are two narrow? no breadth? particularly since I'm taking further maths-continuation of maths, and computing which is not really required.

What do you think? should I do something else to make up for lack of variety?

I'd drop computing if I were you. I took maths, f maths, physics and electronics. Electronics was a bad ass a level, don't know if it still is. In any case, computing is crap and has not much relation to CS, but your other three a levels are good.
Reply 6
Apparently the AQA exam board one can be useful. I'm just doing it cause I want to learn about it... not really to help me get an offer, they've already told me that they won't consider it in the application process.

I just want to know whether the three relevant ones will be enough for cambridge if I get good grades in them or if something else will be needed..
Reply 7
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
I'd drop computing if I were you. I took maths, f maths, physics and electronics. Electronics was a bad ass a level, don't know if it still is. In any case, computing is crap and has not much relation to CS, but your other three a levels are good.

What's wrong with computing? You sure you're not thinking of ICT? Computing does have some relevance to CS. I remember doing sorting algorithms in computing, and that's pretty much all CS is about:tongue:

Computing is by no means essential, electronics would be just as good, as would some other subjects. But I don't think it's a bad one to do.

Quick Reply

Latest