The Student Room Group

GCE Chemistry January 2011

Hello, how's ur preperation going for the paper? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Arghhh....right now it's going pretty sh*t :frown: I've read some stuff from the book, but the textbook (edexcel) has too much information (better than too little, I guess). I've also tried a practice paper, and that went okay-ish, but there were so many questions I either couldn't answer the question or felt that I couldn't answer the question fast enough. On top of that there's a huge amount of pressure on me to get at least an A in this module without any resits (I should be getting a minimum of an A in chemistry and A* in most my other subjects....kill me now).

But, enough of my stress! How is your revision going? :smile:
Reply 2
I haven't even started revision yet... fml. >_<;
Reply 3
haven't started
I'm looking forward to it, but I desperately need to practise figuring out the isomers of things, because I'm terrible at it and there's a question on my homework about it and I just can't do it. -.-

If I revise (which I will) then hopefully I'll get an A. Hopefully...
Salters Individual Investigation is killing me so I have had to put revision on hold.
Reply 6
Original post by Chaofan88
Arghhh....right now it's going pretty sh*t :frown: I've read some stuff from the book, but the textbook (edexcel) has too much information (better than too little, I guess). I've also tried a practice paper, and that went okay-ish, but there were so many questions I either couldn't answer the question or felt that I couldn't answer the question fast enough. On top of that there's a huge amount of pressure on me to get at least an A in this module without any resits (I should be getting a minimum of an A in chemistry and A* in most my other subjects....kill me now).

Basically i suggest u dont even look at the edexcel book its useless and full of mistakes. Its for the teacher to teach u from it if you know what i mean.....I was in the same position as you last year and sadly got a U because i had no one to tell me this, my teacher is completley useless...but iv been revising from september and am positive that i can get a A/B grade.
I recommend you buy the CGP revision guide and Letts and work on them as well do as many practice papers as possible. Good Luck. :smile:
Reply 7
khz
OP

LOL my preparation is JUST OKAY at the moment and im pretty much scared now :eek: just A MONTH more!
i hope i get to finish it before that...:frown:
Reply 8
Original post by khz
LOL my preparation is JUST OKAY at the moment and im pretty much scared now :eek: just A MONTH more!
i hope i get to finish it before that...:frown:

Hey, I'm sure you'll get there. If you learn 3-3 1/2 pages from the edexcel book everyday then you'll be swimming in excess inormation :wink: How far have you got to? I've only managed to revise up until page 30 or something :s-smilie: Unfortunately, I don't have the time for that kind of thing with 3 A-levels and my biology exam coming up as well. But thankfully there are a couple of chapters dedicated to formula, so I don't really have to get my head around concepts as much as learn the formula and be able to apply it. Good luck!
Reply 9
khz
OP
Hey, I'm sure you'll get there. If you learn 3-3 1/2 pages from the edexcel book everyday then you'll be swimming in excess inormation :wink: How far have you got to? I've only managed to revise up until page 30 or something :s-smilie: Unfortunately, I don't have the time for that kind of thing with 3 A-levels and my biology exam coming up as well. But thankfully there are a couple of chapters dedicated to formula, so I don't really have to get my head around concepts as much as learn the formula and be able to apply it. Good luck!

Awh thanks! Good luck to you too:biggrin:
I'll keep you updated with my progress, so should you:smile: and others too:tongue:

*off to study some chemistry*
Reply 10
khz
OP
Update: *ends up on fb instead* :colondollar:
Original post by khz
Update: *ends up on fb instead* :colondollar:

Story of my life :tongue: I'm up to about page 50 now. My problem is that I understand it when I revise, but then I do a practice paper and half of it is fu*cking impossible :frown: I should probably do some past papers soon. How's the revision going for you?
Reply 12
khz
OP
Story of my life :tongue: I'm up to about page 50 now. My problem is that I understand it when I revise, but then I do a practice paper and half of it is fu*cking impossible :frown: I should probably do some past papers soon. How's the revision going for you?

Basically, I am not going according to the syllabus..just randomly here and there. I HAVE to sit back and do it properly:frown:
Past papers would help a big deal :smile:

the first paper is on the 10th of Jan riite?
Original post by khz
Basically, I am not going according to the syllabus..just randomly here and there. I HAVE to sit back and do it properly:frown:
Past papers would help a big deal :smile:

the first paper is on the 10th of Jan riite?

I don't have the syllabus (It's not coming up on the edexcel website), so I'm just reading from my book. I've managed to get up to about page 77, but that's mainly reading and taking some notes, but I haven't really taken much in :/ I need to ask my teacher for a syllabus so I can do it revise properly over the christmas holidays. Yeah, past papers are certainly useful...what frightens me is how many questions we have and hw (relatively) little time. You're expected to calculations really quickly as well, which is a bit sh!t for me as I generally take a while just trying to remember which equation to apply :frown:

If you're on the edexcel AS GCE course then your exam should be on the 13th. Double check though, I wouldn't want you to miss your exam :tongue:
Reply 14
khz
OP
I don't have the syllabus (It's not coming up on the edexcel website), so I'm just reading from my book. I've managed to get up to about page 77, but that's mainly reading and taking some notes, but I haven't really taken much in :/ I need to ask my teacher for a syllabus so I can do it revise properly over the christmas holidays. Yeah, past papers are certainly useful...what frightens me is how many questions we have and hw (relatively) little time. You're expected to calculations really quickly as well, which is a bit sh!t for me as I generally take a while just trying to remember which equation to apply :frown:

If you're on the edexcel AS GCE course then your exam should be on the 13th. Double check though, I wouldn't want you to miss your exam :tongue:

Isn't the syllabus there in the Specification category below? I think i got mine from there :smile:
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/chemistry/Pages/default.aspx
I AM on the GCE course too, the only difference is that i am giving unit 3 and 6 too which is available only for international centres so my first paper (Unit 3) is on the 10th :redface:
Which country are u giving it from? England? :smile:
Original post by khz
Isn't the syllabus there in the Specification category below? I think i got mine from there :smile:
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/chemistry/Pages/default.aspx
I AM on the GCE course too, the only difference is that i am giving unit 3 and 6 too which is available only for international centres so my first paper (Unit 3) is on the 10th :redface:
Which country are u giving it from? England? :smile:

Ach, I see. Correct- I live in England, so my exam's on the 11th...looks like I have an extra day to revise :wink:
Reply 16
Hey, would anyone be able to post a copy of the specification? I can't get onto the edexcel website...

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 17
khz
OP
Original post by The Cure92
Hey, would anyone be able to post a copy of the specification? I can't get onto the edexcel website...

Thanks! :smile:

Hi. There's some ereor in the edexcel site at the moment:frown: i have the specification dowloaded with me but it doesn't seem to attach here. :confused:
is there any other way i can help you? :smile:
Reply 18
khz
OP
How far have you all reached?? Just TWO more weeks! *Gulps*
anyone know where to find past papers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending