The Student Room Group

Oh no. I can't afford to shop at Harrods...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .Ali.
I actually feel sorry for them. :frown: Yes, you lot might laugh, but it would be horrible to lose everything. I'd hate it if that happened to me. :frown:

"Another mum, with three grown-up children, told me that five years ago she would go to H&M as a matter of course for cheap and quirky clothes, but now she finds herself baulking at the prices" See this? That's really upsetting. :frown:

She has a hell of a lot more than most people,
She has not lost everything.

Anyway, H&M prices have gone up a fair bit.
Reply 41
Original post by Annie72
I *think* its just hers, but still £500 a week is still a good income.Yes I know she used to earn £1200 a week, anyway it doesnt mention her husbands income anywhere.I wonder how much he earns a week?.

If her husband is earning a good salary, then I have less sympathy, but if that's their household income, in London, then I feel very sorry for them.

Even if he does earn a lot, their expenses would be higher because of their location.
Reply 42
Original post by chemical_bex
She has a hell of a lot more than most people,
She has not lost everything.

Anyway, H&M prices have gone up a fair bit.

She's lost a lot though, it must be a shock to her.

Really? I thought it was still pretty cheap, I don't shop there but last time I looked it was only like £10 for a top. :dontknow:
Original post by .Ali.
Is that her household income or just hers? I couldn't tell from the article.

It doesn't say.
But still, even if its the entire household income, thats still well above average.
Also, if you have three houses, then you CANNOT complain about lack of money. You just can't.
Someone silence that bitch.
Reply 45
Original post by WelshBluebird
It doesn't say.
But still, even if its the entire household income, thats still well above average.
Also, if you have three houses, then you CANNOT complain about lack of money. You just can't.

£2,000 per month is above average?

They're investments though, unless she rents them out, that money won't be making anything for her, and no one would want to see houses in this economic climate.
[QUOTE='[sophie];28778277']I don't read the Daily Fail, but I came across this article, which just makes me go :eek:.
I'm not sure whether it's serious, but I think it must be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1335550/Merry-Christmas-Along-millions-middle-class-families-I-afford-says-CHARLOTTE-METCALF.html

Discuss.

EDIT: Why are you neg repping me? :confused:

This article is flying round Twitter - whete does the DM find these people who are beyond parody? It's a bit like Jeremy Kyle but with Hyacinth Bucket/Keeping Up Appearances characters.
Reply 47
Original post by .Ali.

She's claiming she's in poverty.

The recession is affecting everybody, what about the people who were in ACTUAL poverty even BEFORE the recession and are now even worse off? Those are the people who deserve sympathy. Not a woman who's gone from very rich to merely comfortable.
Original post by .Ali.

Really? I thought it was still pretty cheap, I don't shop there but last time I looked it was only like £10 for a top. :dontknow:

Yeah, but it used to be like £3.
Reply 49
Original post by Cicerao
She's claiming she's in poverty.

The recession is affecting everybody, what about the people who were in ACTUAL poverty even BEFORE the recession and are now even worse off? Those are the people who deserve sympathy. Not a woman who's gone from very rich to merely comfortable.

£500 per week is comfortable? For her personally, maybe. If that's her household income, not at all.

Everyone who's less well off deservs sympathy - you can't say she doesn't simply because she was quite rich before!
Reply 50
Original post by chemical_bex
Yeah, but it used to be like £3.

:lolwut: That's really cheap...seriously though, if you find £10 for a top expensive(the woman in the article), that's really sad. :frown:
Haven't even finished reading it yet. I had to look away from the screen before my eyebrows rose so high they disappeared entirely off my face.
Reply 52
Original post by .Ali.
£500 per week is comfortable? For her personally, maybe. If that's her household income, not at all.

People manage on far less.
Original post by .Ali.
£2,000 per month is above average?

They're investments though, unless she rents them out, that money won't be making anything for her, and no one would want to see houses in this economic climate.

Yes it is above average.
It depends on which definition of average you take, but its somewhere between £21000 and £24000 a year. Earning £500 a month takes your annual income to £26000.

And honestly, shes a writer. A profession that is well known to have poor pay for a lot of people in it. I'd imagine an awful lot of writers would love to be earning £500 a week.

If she really needed the money, she could sell one house now, and then sell the other one when the market does pick up more.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
My grandfather taught me a key principle, if you can't afford it... don't buy it. In other words, save up until you can afford something... No wonder the banks are having a field day.
Reply 55
I can't imagine the 500 being household income, if that is all there is for one family, they wouldn't be able to afford to live in West London, which is probably the priciest area in all of Britain.

If it's before taxes, as I assume, it really isn't a high income for an almost middle-aged woman. Still, if it was me I'd be unhappy and angry with myself for not saving, but never rant about it to a magazine. And what your children wish for is not something to obey! If you've spoiled them, it's your problem. Even though they can afford it, my parents would never give me an iPad when I was 15. Seems like some people spend all they have with no thought of the future. Too bad for them.
Reply 56
Is she seriously complaining about earning "only 500" quid a week? My mind is going all squeaky if I try to comprehend that. :confused:

I'm glad that the people who caused the whole debacle of our current financial crisis by buying without the means of paying, can feel the pain now as well as every other normal human being who would be glad to live on 2k a month!!!!! Stupid cow!:mad:
Reply 57
Original post by WelshBluebird
Yes it is above average.
It depends on which definition of average you take, but its somewhere between £21000 and £24000 a year. Earning £500 a month takes your annual income to £26000.

And honestly, shes a writer. A profession that is well known to have poor pay for a lot of people in it. I'd imagine an awful lot of writers would love to be earning £500 a week.

If she really needed the money, she could sell one house now, and then sell the other one when the market does pick up more.

Well the average is really low then.

Yes, but the point is, she has lost a lot as have her friends, and it's hard for them.

And lose a few thousand while doing it. Yeah, not a good idea. She could rent them out though.
Reply 58
Original post by .Ali.
Yes, but the point is, she has lost a lot as have her friends, and it's hard for them.

It's a positive thing, though. You should be glad. Perhaps soon she will realise Christmas happiness isn't about having luxury £50 ribbons (!) and instead about love and family, and the children may learn the value of money and not grow up spoilt.
Reply 59
Original post by Cicerao
It's a positive thing, though. You should be glad. Perhaps soon she will realise Christmas happiness isn't about having luxury £50 ribbons (!) and instead about love and family, and the children may learn the value of money and not grow up spoilt.

No it's not a good thing. She won't be able to get what she planned on, she'll feel she has let her family down, and it'll be uncomfortable. The value of money is subjective.

Also, why does having a lot seem to automatically equal spoilt? That's something that really bugs me lol. As long as you appreciate what you have, I don't see how you're spoilt? :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending