The Student Room Group

China

Personally I like China, they have achieved massive growth through a centrally planned government, taking many out of (absolute) poverty.

But their childish display about the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize is just pathetic. And I'm starting to have doubts about what to think of the Chinese or rather their government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11966449

What do you guys think?
tbh who cares anymore - governments just do whatever the hell they want and public opinion does nothing to stop them
Reply 2
No idea why so many countries have sided with China. Still China will likely become more democratic over the next 30 years or so. They are already flirting with the idea of allowing workers to strike
I think it shows really that China is a very odd dictatorship, if indeed, that is what we can call it. Single party it may be, but the leader him/herself is elected by the politburo. At any rate, I think the actions with regards to the Nobel prize are ridiculous, but to be expected really, I mean the committee essentially is condemning the entirety of the Chinese leadership, and justified or not, that would annoy anyone to the point of frustration, and at any rate I would think the Chinese people themselves have a better understanding of what threatens or concerns them, than do the members of that committee.

I guess it depends what matters to you personally. I disagree as readily as anyone else with the imprisonment of this man, but to be fair he IS attempting to cause dissidence, and even in democracies that is not something taken too kindly. I really don't know what to think, I'm split between personal ideology and my empathy with this man, who whether I agree with him or not, is simply doing what he believes is right, and should be credited for that.

At least China makes for interesting thought at any rate.
Reply 4
I think it's a repressive, authoritarian regime with a lot of blood on its hands.
Reply 5
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
tbh who cares anymore - governments just do whatever the hell they want and public opinion does nothing to stop them

Surely we as a race should move towards more caring. And get public opinion to stop them (not that that is easy).

We need more accountability of people in authority. Take Blatter, he is not going to get chucked out even though he deserves it. There is no way England only got one other vote if the voters knew they would have been held accountable for their decision. No single person or group of interest should have too much power.
Reply 6
Original post by Aj12
No idea why so many countries have sided with China.

According to the reports it is because of diplomatic pressure, which is very understandable, China is the next superpower and you would want to keep good relations with them if you have them.

I don't think that is surprising, and yes, as the other poster said, neither is China's attitude surprising really.
Original post by Aj12
No idea why so many countries have sided with China. Still China will likely become more democratic over the next 30 years or so. They are already flirting with the idea of allowing workers to strike

This is true and I hope it continues this way..
Reply 8
Original post by danny111
According to the reports it is because of diplomatic pressure, which is very understandable, China is the next superpower and you would want to keep good relations with them if you have them.

I don't think that is surprising, and yes, as the other poster said, neither is China's attitude surprising really.

First of all, I notice in your first post that you attribute China's economic advancement to central planning. That's wrong - China's economic growth spurt came when central planning was abandoned.

Secondly, China will not be the next superpower. China is one huge bubble waiting to burst.
Reply 9
Original post by Howard
First of all, I notice in your first post that you attribute China's economic advancement to central planning. That's wrong - China's economic growth spurt came when central planning was abandoned.

Secondly, China will not be the next superpower. China is one huge bubble waiting to burst.

Can you explain why? Im not trying to test you or anything, just genuinely interested as to why China may "burst".
Reply 10
I think it is highly hypocritical listening to people speak badly about China, when all often they buy items and materials used to fund the Chinese Government.

I believe China is surely a more progressive society than Britain or the United States. No doubt it has many problems. But it is not an imperialist society which tries to economically dominate the developing world for its own materialist agenda.
Reply 11
Original post by Howard

China is centrally planned in my eyes still today. It may be less than under Mao, but compare it to Western countries.

And if that is what you think. I dislike big talkers like this. Anyone can say that, if it turns out correct then woo they are awesome, if not then well who cares.
Reply 12
Original post by Struggle
I think it is highly hypocritical listening to people speak badly about China, when all often they buy items and materials used to fund the Chinese Government.

I believe China is surely a more progressive society than Britain or the United States. No doubt it has many problems. But it is not an imperialist society which tries to economically dominate the developing world for its own materialist agenda.

Yes it does.

Look at how China is investing in Africa. Are they doing it to help the poor Africans?
Reply 13
China will destroy the world and it needs to be stopped now before it becomes too powerful for America and definitely before it becomes too powerful for America and Europe.
Reply 14
Original post by Aramiss18
Can you explain why? Im not trying to test you or anything, just genuinely interested as to why China may "burst".

Too much liquidity.

Because it is built on a huge bubble of cheap credit which is generating some very worrying inflationary problems. Inflation is at a 28 month high after allowing the money supply to increase by 50% in the last 2 years. There are reports that the price of vegetables are up 20% in a month and house prices are so inflated that when China's residential property bubble eventually bursts it'll make what hapenned in America look like a tea party.

You might have read that the Chinese are slamming on the breaks right now by increasing reserve requirements for some major banks. Too little too late?
Reply 15
Original post by danny111
China is centrally planned in my eyes still today. It may be less than under Mao, but compare it to Western countries.

And if that is what you think. I dislike big talkers like this. Anyone can say that, if it turns out correct then woo they are awesome, if not then well who cares.

LOL! If it turns out to be correct all it'll show is that the commentators that I have been following were correct. It won't make me in the slightest bit awesome. I'm a very unremarkable person all round!
Reply 16
i think the best we can hope for in the next 50 years is another america/eu vs china cold war, hopefully never turning hot.
Reply 17
Will be involved in the next world war thats for sure...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending