The Student Room Group

Muslims praying at College

Scroll to see replies

Original post by #Funky
How does it disrupt other people's learning. It's not like I'm going to be worshipping them. I'd go to a room and pray.

Which country is that? Indeed, Muslims have a lot of problems here.

It's more to do with you walking in and out of lessons. Some teachers may feel obliged to repeat what they have said because you left the classroom, or if the teacher is in the middle of speaking and you just walk in and then have to take off your coat, unpack all your things etc. it is a distraction. Exactly why my college had the 5 mins rule :dontknow:.
Reply 21
Original post by x_muneeb_x
Uhm no im not a Muslim as i said my parents are , im an agnostic and i dont mind people praying at college it should be allowed but im saying people should not be allowed to skip or come late to classes because of praying.

I thought Muneeb is a Muslim name.
Reply 22
Original post by SpiritedAway
It's more to do with you walking in and out of lessons. Some teachers may feel obliged to repeat what they have said because you left the classroom, or if the teacher is in the middle of speaking and you just walk in and then have to take off your coat, unpack all your things etc. it is a distraction. Exactly why my college had the 5 mins rule :dontknow:.

Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. I'm glad that my class is all Muslim, no non Muslims what so ever!

Infact, my College is highly populated with Muslims!
They should be allowed to pray at school, but maybe during break times and not lessons? :smile:
Just use the prayer room at break time or lunch time or whenever you're not needed in class. You can still pray without being late for lessons. Prayers are flexible, they don't have to start at an exact time.
How long does prayer take exactly? Can't you ask to go to the toilet or something?
Reply 26
Original post by tazarooni89
Just use the prayer room at break time or lunch time or whenever you're not needed in class. You can still pray without being late for lessons. Prayers are flexible, they don't have to start at an exact time.

I've been taught to pray as soon as the prayer starts. For example, Maghrib, at sunset. It's best to pray right at the beginning rather than leaving it towards the end where it may become Makrooh.

Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche
How long does prayer take exactly? Can't you ask to go to the toilet or something?

Five minutes minimum! I will do the toilet thing.
Original post by #Funky
Ah yes, that makes perfect sense. I'm glad that my class is all Muslim, no non Muslims what so ever!

Infact, my College is highly populated with Muslims!

Why are you bitching and crying then? Before you criticise my college has a high muslim population too but people dont up and leave during class, they pray during their free time. If you dont like it then what are you doing there? "When in Rome, do as the Romans do"(It's a sign of respect)
(edited 13 years ago)
In 10 years we won't have England, we'll have MUSLIMland.
Reply 29
Original post by alexs2602
Why are you bitching and crying then? Before you criticise my college has a high muslim population too but people dont up and leave during class, they pray during their free time. If you dont like it then what are you doing there? "When in Rome..."

Sorry, but improve your English before you try to make a point. Don't like what and doing what where? It's a free country mate.

Original post by Miasma Envoy
In 10 years we won't have England, we'll have MUSLIMland.

I don't have a problem with that. I'm sure I can adapt to live by their rules :wink:
Well I'm at uni and asr was between 2:09 and 3:57 and I had a lesson between 2 and 4, so I asked my teacher if I could have a 15 minute break inbetween the lesson and she asked "do you need to pray? that's fine". So yeah, no problem really, she was fine with it. Just explain to the teacher that you really have to pray, its not an option.

Allah (swt) comes first. So if praying means I'll get into trouble, so be it. I'd rather get into trouble with the people than get into trouble with Allah (swt). Salaams.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by bluebell100
Well I'm at uni and asr was between 2:09 and 3:57 and I had a lesson between 2 and 4, so I asked my teacher if I could have a 15 minute break inbetween the lessons and she asked "do you need to pray? that's fine". So yeah, no problem really, just explain to the teacher that you really have to pray, its not an option.

Allah (swt) comes first. So if praying means I'll get into trouble, so be it. I'd rather get into trouble with the people than get into trouble with Allah (swt). Salaams.

We do, but then I think she asked one of the heads to come down and say we aren't allowed.

Yes, we have to pray, it's a Fardh. For most my prayers, I have abloution from before, so I don't need to spend time on that. It takes literally five minutes.

I too am not in any position to give up prayer!
im a muslim.and in indonesia, people actually aren't allowed to pray when the classes starts or using pray as a reason for being late.but before the classes,we have much time to do the pray..for example, when zuhur are from 12 - 3 and the class will be on 1 - 3, then i will pray between 12 - 1.as simple as that..but i dont know.if you have pretty tight class schedule,then the situation will be different
Reply 33
Original post by #Funky
Assalamu Alaykum,

Dhuhur is fine. However, Asr, is at like 3pm now (the ideal time - start). I finish college at around 4.15pm most times and Maghrib is at like 4pm.

If the college won't let you miss some lessons to do this then there's nothing you can do but if you have any nice teachers then plead them and they may allow you.

But where will you do your wudhu. If your not pure then your prayer is not excepted. And keeping the same wudhu for long periods of time is not ideal.

And by the way Asr is NOT at 3pm now but starts at about 1:40. That is the ideal time. If your praying Asr at 3pm when you don't have school then that's a serious problem. At least you know this now.
Reply 34
Original post by tazarooni89

This. Completely forgot that you could do this.
Reply 35
Original post by nazirard
If the college won't let you miss some lessons to do this then there's nothing you can do but if you have any nice teachers then plead them and they may allow you.

But where will you do your wudhu. If your not pure then your prayer is not excepted. And keeping the same wudhu for long periods of time is not ideal.

And by the way Asr is NOT at 3pm now but starts at about 1:40. That is the ideal time. If your praying Asr at 3pm when you don't have school then that's a serious problem. At least you know this now.

I know, I do that just to fit my lessons in. Also, my closest Mosque still does Dhuhur Jam'ah at 1.30pm =\
Reply 36
Original post by #Funky

Original post by #Funky
Hi,

We've been given a prayer room but are not allowed to pray in it? The College says that it's a national rule that you cannot be late for lessons because of prayer or leave lessons for prayer.

Do you think Muslims should be allowed to pray and folllow their religion or not?

Well, you can just pray in the breaks tbh. And you should not be missing lessons, you can pray Zuhr and Asr together at lunch or whenever you're free during that time. The fact that you have a room to pray in is more than enough. What if lots of people decided they wanted to pray and be late?? It would be disrupting. I go to Uni and never have I had to miss a lecture to pray. The prayer can be made-up after, the lecture can not (and if you wanna pray that badly at uni, just sit at the end and slip out the lecture theater, pray at the nearest spot and come back)
Reply 37
Original post by #Funky

Original post by #Funky
I've been taught to pray as soon as the prayer starts. For example, Maghrib, at sunset. It's best to pray right at the beginning rather than leaving it towards the end where it may become Makrooh.

Five minutes minimum! I will do the toilet thing.

Well Maghrib is best prayed within the first 20 minutes. And yes you should hasten to prayer, but praying as soon as your lesson is finished is hasty imo. What if you were a doctor, operating on somebody? As soon as it was time to pray would you just leave the patient to go pray? No. You need to prioritise. Islam has made things easy by offering flexibility in praying, don't try and make a fuss over nothing.
Reply 38
Original post by SHABANA
Well, you can just pray in the breaks tbh. And you should not be missing lessons, you can pray Zuhr and Asr together at lunch or whenever you're free during that time. The fact that you have a room to pray in is more than enough. What if lots of people decided they wanted to pray and be late?? It would be disrupting. I go to Uni and never have I had to miss a lecture to pray. The prayer can be made-up after, the lecture can not (and if you wanna pray that badly at uni, just sit at the end and slip out the lecture theater, pray at the nearest spot and come back)

Hi,

I'm not missing lessons. You can pray Asr and Dhuhur together? Can you please show me your evidence? That would be great, I only knew you could do that if you were travelling.

The prayer can be made up after yes, but that is not an option I can take as Qadha rulings are very strict and cannot be taken lightly. Salaah is Fardh, I don't know if you know this or not.
Reply 39
Ibn 'Abbas reported that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) observed in Medina seven (rak'ahs) and eight (rak'ahs), i. e. (combined) the noon (Zuhr) and afternoon (`Asr) prayers (eight rak'ahs) and the dusk (Maghrib)and night ('Isha') prayers (seven rak'ahs).
[Sahih al-Bukhari (English translation), volume 1, book 10, number 537; Sahih Muslim (English translation), Kitab al-Salat, Book 4, Chapter 100 Combination of prayers when one is resident, hadith no. 1522]

But what I actually meant is at the moment, depending on how long your lunch is you can pray them both separately but within their own times? Also, of course I know salaah is fardh, don't try and be patronising. Colleges are usually done by 4pm, so I don't see why you would end up missing your Maghrib.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending