The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

A Day in the life of a LAW student?

Can someone do one for Law or Law and Politics please. Thanks I would be ever so grateful. Just that on the open day there wasn't much insight, as a matter of fact it was terribly rushed!

How is your timetable like - hours a week, lectures, seminars - how many of each?
What is it like, hard, easy, ok if you put the work init?
How are you assessed?
Have you done any mooting yet?
What law firms have visited your department?
How is your social life like ?
What books have you read, any reading list you would recommend in preparation for us freshers coming?
How far is your accommodation to your classes? What accommodation would you recommend or is the closest to the law school?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by her
Can someone do one for Law or Law and Politics please. Thanks I would be ever so grateful. Just that on the open day there wasn't much insight, as a matter of fact it was terribly rushed!

What did you think of it?

I couldn't make it, and although intially I had intended to come down in favour of York than QMUL, I'm having second thoughts.
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Mann18
What did you think of it?

I couldn't make it, and although intially I had intended to come down in favour of York than QMUL, I'm having second thoughts.

Hiii :smile: I must admit their Law school is outstanding and literally mind blowing with potential opportunities. It's fantastic, it really is! I thought it was amazing and so did the other people in my tour group.

The only thing I didn't gain insight on was the actual life style of a Law student, I mean the real deal! Hopefully I will get it on here!

I hope that answers your question :grin:
Reply 3
Original post by her
Hiii :smile: I must admit their Law school is outstanding and literally mind blowing with potential opportunities. It's fantastic, it really is! I thought it was amazing and so did the other people in my tour group.

The only thing I didn't gain insight on was the actual life style of a Law student, I mean the real deal! Hopefully I will get it on here!

I hope that answers your question :grin:

What questions do you have? I can try to answer them
Reply 4
my flat mate is doing law. He stays in bed until about 1 missing half his lectures / tutorials. Does the essays last minute and gets 2:1s and Firsts.

lulz law
Reply 5
Original post by Haychee
my flat mate is doing law. He stays in bed until about 1 missing half his lectures / tutorials. Does the essays last minute and gets 2:1s and Firsts.

lulz law

are you being forreal? Ok introduce me >.< loooooooooool

Original post by jmat
What questions do you have? I can try to answer them

How is your timetable like - hours a week, lectures, seminars - how many of each?
How are you assessed?
What books have you read, any reading list you would recommend in preparation for us freshers coming?
How far is your accommodation to your classes? What accommodation would you recommend or is the closest to the law school?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by her
are you being forreal? Ok introduce me >.< loooooooooool

How are you assessed?

first year you have 12 hours of contact time. 8 hours lecture 4 hours seminars
the lectures are same time for everybody but the seminars are all different. Your put into a group and your group has them at set times. Most people have 4 days a week I only have 3 (friday and wednesday off) The timetable I suspect changes every year.

Answer essays is not the same as the exam, I have got 58 62 65 and a 1:1 so far in my essays but I would be happy with a 50+ in most of my midsessionsal (these are mock exams) that I have just sat. That is because getting 60-65 is not particularly hard as you just need to know the law. When your writing an essay you have your text book open and if you compentently answer the question and state the relevant facts and put in most the cases then you have a 2:1. It is stated that getting from a fail to a 2:1 is significantly easier than getting from a 2:1 to a 1:1. Literally to get a bar minimum 2:1 you just need to answer the question correctly and state the main cases.

QM (in the first year anyway) assess you in may with 4 3 hour exams. This is one on each of the 4 modules, public, criminal, property (which is really land) and contract. you have between 7-10 questions and have to answer 3 or 4. I believe it is normally 4 from 8 but sometimes there are slight variations by the looks of things.

I do moot and I am currently in round 3. I find it fun but it can be quite stressful and does take up some time. The difficultly with the moot is that after the first round or two, where I am a first year, the questions become on subjects I do not learn for another year. This means I will have to find a textbook and teach myself a subject where as other people are 2nd or 3rd years so already have the basic knowledge. It seems professionally done and I have always recieved good constructive feedback. over 100/120 people started and its down to 52 in the 3rd round (roughly)

I havent done much in way of visitng law firms or vice versa but i know people in the first year who gone and done 4 days of pro bono work with clifford chance and there are local solicitors that take on one or two students for work experience. There is a lot of opportunities. I know that firms have sent people to conduct lectures and there have been certain well known legal figures that have held talks on things like torture: can it be justified? etc etc. I have mainly focussed on my studies, some people do lots of things others not many. It is there for you to self tailor your own plan.

The social life is what you make of it. If you want to do well in Law you won't have a massive social life compared to some other people. I know people (not studying Law) who go out 5-6 days a week and don't go to lectures. You can do this but you will struggle to keep up. Ultimately, your social life is in your own hands, everything is very independant including the work so it is left to you to structure how you do things.

I didnt do any pre-reading. It will help if you do it, the more you do the better but at the same time you don't need to do it. It would be good looking back if I had a better basic knowledge starting but it hasn't held me back. The most important thing is that you do all your work. I have been guilty of not doing much this semester which I am now starting to regret. Alot of the senior statuts people spend hours in the library, to realisitcally complete your seminar work to a high standard each seminar can take upto 6 hours. sometimes 2-3 othertimes upto 6. It is worth doing it, as although you can blag your way through seminars, when you come to take your exams you realise that you have large gaps in your knowledge.

Accomodation is literally 1-2 minutes away. You can't pick halls you pick a type of accomdation so just go for whatever one you like. The heating system is crap in halls so take your own electric heater! apart from that it is ok, I would recommend the most expensive one (which is france house, can't remember what it is called on the form though, something like premuim ensuite I think). It is a very decent size and isnt that much more than normal en-suite. The rooms do vary in size but they are what you can expect. The odd accomdation isn't great but that is the cheaper stuff, so you get what you pay for.

I think I answered all your questions, anymore just ask
Reply 7
Original post by jmat

This is fantastic honestly! I really do appreciate it! What books are you reading now? Yeah I'm a little anti-social anyway (lol not really) I just hope I meet some smart people that are serious about doing well in Law! and is a 1:1 a first ? If so well done for getting it on your work thing!
Reply 8
Original post by jmat

Also how many hours should you be putting in, in order to get a high 2:1 or first?
Reply 9
Original post by her
Also how many hours should you be putting in, in order to get a high 2:1 or first?

Quite basically the minimum you should do is all your work. A lot of people don't, including myself, do all the work and it really showed when taking the midsessionals as I had poor notes on what we have learnt and so I was just having to re-learn things from the textbook which isn't fantastically helpful as a lot of them aren't exactly the most interesting read you will find!

Hours wise, to get near a first you need to do 40 hours. 9-5 each day is what the people who do the best work. Some people may chose to do work over weekend and less in week but to do really well aim for 40 hours a week. This includes seminars and lectures
Reply 10
Original post by her
This is fantastic honestly! I really do appreciate it! What books are you reading now? Yeah I'm a little anti-social anyway (lol not really) I just hope I meet some smart people that are serious about doing well in Law! and is a 1:1 a first ? If so well done for getting it on your work thing!

I am not reading anybooks apart from the reccomended core text/case books that you are told to buy
yeah 1:1 is a first, and thanks.

The thing is, that in the first year so far, there has been very little, if any, material that has confused me. It is just the sheer volume of work. Most people agree that so far nothing have been difficult. A lot of if is, A + B + C = D. If C is missing then it can't equal D. I have no idea about the complexity of the last 2 years but certainly so far there is not really anything that will confuse you
Reply 11
After writing my answers I realised that you were specifically asking QM students. But, I'll post anyway.

Q. How is your timetable like - hours a week, lectures, seminars - how many of each?
A. I have 8 hours of lectures and 4 hours of classes. 12 hours in total.

Q. What is it like, hard, easy, ok if you put the work init?
A. It's fine, the law is pretty straightforward. I think once you know the quasi-scientific rules that are its foundations then you'll be ok. Obviously jurisprudence and more philosophical aspects can be harder to appreciate.

Q. How are you assessed?
A. We have exams in the summer. We will get a grade but they don't actually count towards the LLB degree.

Q. Have you done any mooting yet?
A. No. But I will.

Q. What law firms have visited your department?
A. It seems we get every firm under the sun.

Q. How is your social life like?
A. It is fine. I don't really go out clubbing that much, but if I wanted to I could easily find time. It's not like you have to work 24/7. I treat it like a working week and try to do 42 hours (but that's over the weekend too) so it equates to something like 6 hours a day. You can minus the 12 hours of structured study, so, all in all, I try and do 30 hours of independent study.

Q. What books have you read, any reading list you would recommend in preparation for us freshers coming?
A. I didn't do any prior reading. I guess you could do, but I wouldn't fret about.
Reply 12
Original post by liaf
After writing my answers I realised that you were specifically asking QM students. But, I'll post anyway.

Q. How is your timetable like - hours a week, lectures, seminars - how many of each?
A. I have 8 hours of lectures and 4 hours of classes. 12 hours in total.

Q. What is it like, hard, easy, ok if you put the work init?
A. It's fine, the law is pretty straightforward. I think once you know the quasi-scientific rules that are its foundations then you'll be ok. Obviously jurisprudence and more philosophical aspects can be harder to appreciate.

Q. How are you assessed?
A. We have exams in the summer. We will get a grade but they don't actually count towards the LLB degree.

Q. Have you done any mooting yet?
A. No. But I will.

Q. What law firms have visited your department?
A. It seems we get every firm under the sun.

Q. How is your social life like?
A. It is fine. I don't really go out clubbing that much, but if I wanted to I could easily find time. It's not like you have to work 24/7. I treat it like a working week and try to do 42 hours (but that's over the weekend too) so it equates to something like 6 hours a day. You can minus the 12 hours of structured study, so, all in all, I try and do 30 hours of independent study.

Q. What books have you read, any reading list you would recommend in preparation for us freshers coming?
A. I didn't do any prior reading. I guess you could do, but I wouldn't fret about.

I'm sorry are you a QMUL student?
Reply 13
Original post by her

Don't be a douche.
Reply 14
Original post by her

How are you assessed?

The Law & Politics course is different from the 3 year LLB.
You do two law modules in the first year, Contract law and Public law.
You then can opt to do an international relations module or two politics modules!
In terms of extra curriculars, Law&Pol students aren't restricted from anything the straight law students are able to do.

As has been mentioned, social life is there if you want it....but I think you will find as a law student, you wont have much time for it if you want to keep on track with your studies. (The person who said university is the best experience of your life certainly wasn't a law student!)

There are a few books QM Law Dept recommend:

UK constitution - Peter Leyland ( I think)
Central Issues in criminal theory - Wont be required for a law & pol student as you don't do criminal law in the first year

I actually think the accommodation is excellent when compared with typical university accommodation. If anything breaks the residence's office is always quick to have it fixed or replaced!

There's a Legal Advice Centre on site in the law department which is really advantageous if you can become involved with it!

Anymore questions, feel free to ask.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by her

Original post by Converse
Don't be a douche.

That's actually hilarious. Even funnier bc its coming from a girl. Definitely a douche thing to say, especially bc he preemptively said he didn't go to QM.
Reply 16
Original post by Jakko247
The Law &amp; Politics course is different from the 3 year LLB.
You do two law modules in the first year, Contract law and Public law.
You then can opt to do an international relations module or two politics modules!
In terms of extra curriculars, Law&amp;Pol students aren't restricted from anything the straight law students are able to do.

As has been mentioned, social life is there if you want it....but I think you will find as a law student, you wont have much time for it if you want to keep on track with your studies. (The person who said university is the best experience of your life certainly wasn't a law student!)

There are a few books QM Law Dept recommend:

UK constitution - Peter Leyland ( I think)
Central Issues in criminal theory - Wont be required for a law &amp; pol student as you don't do criminal law in the first year

I actually think the accommodation is excellent when compared with typical university accommodation. If anything breaks the residence's office is always quick to have it fixed or replaced!

There's a Legal Advice Centre on site in the law department which is really advantageous if you can become involved with it!

Anymore questions, feel free to ask.

I thought I could qualify as a LLB student? Anyway thank you so much!! :grin: What law firms have visited QMUL?
Reply 17
Original post by her
I thought I could qualify as a LLB student? Anyway thank you so much!! :grin: What law firms have visited QMUL?

If you're doing the Law and Politics course you will receive the BA qualification.
You have the opportunity on the course to choose, over the penultimate and final year, whether or not to take additional law modules so as that you will have undertook the seven law modules required by the professional bodies (the Bar Council and the Solicitors Regulation Authority, SRA). If you choose to take the 7 modules you will obtain a qualifying law degree at the end of your studies, but it will remain a BA as far as I'm aware.

In terms of what firms visit, Linklaters from the Magic Circle and countless silver circle firms all attend the law fair. What you have to remember is Queen Mary's entrance criteria has only recently been raised to AAA, so I predict more of the top firms will be attending in the near future. Having said that, I have had the opportunity to meet many solicitors from Allen and Overy, Clifford Chance, BLP, Reed Smith, Field Fisher Waterhouse and various other firms. The contact I've had with them is far more significant than it would be from just attending a law fair so it's not the end of the world if a MC firm doesn't attend the law fair :smile:

The biggest thing you'll learn after a few weeks of being at university is that it's completely up to you if you want to succeed. Queen Mary will give you a brilliant platform from which to take off, but you need to do the rest for yourself, and that's true no matter what university you attend. Of course Oxbridge's platform will be that much better but if you're a bad candidate, it matters not that you had an Oxbridge education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending