The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University Of Kent

Just received a conditional offer from The University of Kent and felt the need to make this thread for other fellow offer holders to interact and engage in. For current students at Year 13, how's the social life? (as a black girl I'm interested to know if the university is diverse) if anyone goes to park wood flat, Turing flats or Tyler Court B how is that like? If anyone is taking any social sciences how are you finding it and how is the timetable like for you?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Just received a conditional offer from The University of Kent and felt the need to make this thread for other fellow offer holders to interact and engage in. For current students at Year 13, how's the social life? (as a black girl I'm interested to know if the university is diverse) if anyone goes to park wood flat, Turing flats or Tyler Court B how is that like? If anyone is taking any social sciences how are you finding it and how is the timetable like for you?

ik this isnt what you wanted and im sorry but how long after you replied did you hear back???😭
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Hi there
Congratulations on receiving a conditional offer. :smile:

As a BAME student, I would say the University of Kent has a really diverse environment, which is one of the reasons I chose Kent. There are many different cultures and related societies, it is a really welcoming environment (I have not received any discrimination for my gender nor race, so it should not be something you have to worry about here).

I lived in parkwood flats for first year, it is one of the nicest accommodations on campus in my opinion, it is a bit further out from main campus that the other flats, maybe by 5 minutes walk. However, it does have lovely scenery and it is close to the gym, co-op and one of our food outlets. The flats are quite spacious and well kept. :smile: For turing flats, they are more modern buildings, also one of the nicer accommodations (however, I have not lived there before). I think tyler is also quite nice, and you get to share with more people, so hopefully you can make friends easily there.

I am currently in my final year of studying law. In terms of timetabling, it is really quite free- I have 4 lectures a week and 4 seminars a week. (I believe I had a few more lectures last year, though I still had a lot of free time). You are given much more independence and freedom on how you use your time. So the work-life balance is up to you. In terms of social life, there are many events and societies that are hosted, so there is always something that you can get involved in.

Hope this answers your questions, if you have any other queries, feel free to let me know.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
ik this isnt what you wanted and im sorry but how long after you replied did you hear back???😭

I applied and literally heard back from them the next day. Same with one of my classmates.
Reply 4

Hi ! I recieved an offer too! I'm not too sure on this though, but I am also black and considering going!
Reply 5
Original post by r3nee.c0
Hi ! I recieved an offer too! I'm not too sure on this though, but I am also black and considering going!

But i dont know if it a highly ranked and respected university, because I want to do Law, but I want to do it at a good uni.

Hi,

Firstly congratulations!!

Which degree did you apply for?

I am in my final year of psychology so if you are doing that too I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the course.

Have you been to an open day yet? If not you can check out which ones we have here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days. I think these are helpful to attend especially fi you are choosing between universities because you get a good feel of the place and location of the university.

If you cannot attend there is a live stream for undergraduates here next week Thursday (30 November): https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/63082/undergraduate-online-open-day-1
And if you cannot make any of these we are still offering campus tours. This might also be nice for you to see how diverse our campus is and make a judgement for yourself. The link is here if you are interested: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/campus-tours

You can have a look at what societies we have here: https://kentunion.co.uk/activities. You can check societies socials to see what they have been up to so you get a bit of an insight into what its like. As a BAME student too I can also echo what my friend Chloe has said in terms of receiving no discrimination for my race or gender.

I hope this helps and helps others too.

Alia
Reply 7
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there
Congratulations on receiving a conditional offer. :smile:

As a BAME student, I would say the University of Kent has a really diverse environment, which is one of the reasons I chose Kent. There are many different cultures and related societies, it is a really welcoming environment (I have not received any discrimination for my gender nor race, so it should not be something you have to worry about here).

I lived in parkwood flats for first year, it is one of the nicest accommodations on campus in my opinion, it is a bit further out from main campus that the other flats, maybe by 5 minutes walk. However, it does have lovely scenery and it is close to the gym, co-op and one of our food outlets. The flats are quite spacious and well kept. :smile: For turing flats, they are more modern buildings, also one of the nicer accommodations (however, I have not lived there before). I think tyler is also quite nice, and you get to share with more people, so hopefully you can make friends easily there.

I am currently in my final year of studying law. In terms of timetabling, it is really quite free- I have 4 lectures a week and 4 seminars a week. (I believe I had a few more lectures last year, though I still had a lot of free time). You are given much more independence and freedom on how you use your time. So the work-life balance is up to you. In terms of social life, there are many events and societies that are hosted, so there is always something that you can get involved in.

Hope this answers your questions, if you have any other queries, feel free to let me know.
Chloe

Yes this was a good insight, thank you!
Reply 8
But i dont know if it a highly ranked and respected university, because I want to do Law, but I want to do it at a good uni.

As far as I know, Kent is really good and recognised for law and forensic science. They are ranked 26 for law on the 2024 league table. Hope this helps
Reply 9
Original post by University of Kent
Hi,

Firstly congratulations!!

Which degree did you apply for?

I am in my final year of psychology so if you are doing that too I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the course.

Have you been to an open day yet? If not you can check out which ones we have here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/open-days. I think these are helpful to attend especially fi you are choosing between universities because you get a good feel of the place and location of the university.

If you cannot attend there is a live stream for undergraduates here next week Thursday (30 November): https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/63082/undergraduate-online-open-day-1
And if you cannot make any of these we are still offering campus tours. This might also be nice for you to see how diverse our campus is and make a judgement for yourself. The link is here if you are interested: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/visit/campus-tours

You can have a look at what societies we have here: https://kentunion.co.uk/activities. You can check societies socials to see what they have been up to so you get a bit of an insight into what its like. As a BAME student too I can also echo what my friend Chloe has said in terms of receiving no discrimination for my race or gender.

I hope this helps and helps others too.

Alia

Hiya. I've applied to do Criminology and Sociology (joint degree) I plan to attend the in person open days but I have no idea how to get there from where I currently live If I can't figure it out, I'm definitely going to attend the virtual one.
Hiya. I've applied to do Criminology and Sociology (joint degree) I plan to attend the in person open days but I have no idea how to get there from where I currently live If I can't figure it out, I'm definitely going to attend the virtual one.

Hi,

That is so lovely to hear! Do bring all your questions and we would be happy to answer them.

Travel can be very annoying sometimes and planning travel can also be stressful.

Depending on where you are coming from, google maps might be a good start. Hopefully your journey planning is not stressful but here is some information on how to get here that might help: https://www.kent.ac.uk/locations/canterbury/directions.

All the best and we hope you can make it in person, if not enjoy the virtual open day.

Alia

Hey,
I've applied to Kent and got a Conditional offer from them for Law and Politics, and i know people who have gone there and have gotten in Magic/Silver ciricle firms.
I went to the open day and the lectures were really good, so i think it is respected for how they teacher their student as they have their own Law school.
Original post by Anonymous #2

Hey! My application was sent last Wednesday and I just got an offer. So a week later.
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hey,
I've applied to Kent and got a Conditional offer from them for Law and Politics, and i know people who have gone there and have gotten in Magic/Silver ciricle firms.
I went to the open day and the lectures were really good, so i think it is respected for how they teacher their student as they have their own Law school.

Hi there

Congratulations or receiving your conditional offer! :smile:
As a final year law student (although not Law with Politics), hopefully I will be able to give an insight on what it is like to study law at Kent. :smile:

Kent stood out to me when I was applying for law schools due to it critical approach to law. This means rather than just learning and memorising the law, we get to explore the law in its context. Our modules are often explored in light of historical, social, and political backgrounds. For me, this is makes the course much more interesting and enjoyable, perhaps it is something you may also find engaging. Learning law through a critical lens can be really helpful in giving you the ability to apply the law to real life situations, this could be really useful when it comes to future careers.

At Kent, you are given a lot of support throughout your academic degree. Each year, we are given an academic adviser who is there to provide academic help. The law school also offers peer mentoring schemes where you are paired with a second or third year law student that will give you guidance on your studies. Both of these opportunities are very useful and have helped me on multiple occasions. There is also the LSSJ student support team, who you can reach out to if you need further support. The seminar leaders and lecturers at Kent are really friendly and approachable, I always feel comfortable with asking for clarifications on areas that I am confused with.

In terms of employability at Kent: I echo your comment, that there are students from Kent who have gotten into Magic/ Silver circle firms. Kent Law School offers a lot of opportunities to boost your CV and applications, for example participating in the law clinic, entering mooting competitions can all enhance your skill sets. The employability point scheme allows you to log your extra curricular activities online in exchange for work experience opportunities with firms. (Including: internships, insight days, work shadowing opportunities, CV checks, mock interviews, skills development sessions...) You can find more about this here:https://www.kent.ac.uk/employability-points.

I hope this gives a better insight to what it is like to study law at Kent. If you have any specific queries, do feel free to ask! :smile:
Chloe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending