The Student Room Group

Why hasn't Geroge Bush or Tony Blair been executed for crimes against humanity?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Stalin
By waging war in the Middle East and in turn, harming the U.S.' interests, namely Israel and oil.

And what happened in 2002/2003 that suggested this was such an imminent threat that had to be dealt with via a large scale invasion?
Original post by tw68
I find it hard to take any of your arguments seriously when you post such stupid things. You praise the liberation of Afghanistan, yet go on to call it a ****hole and say that it wouldn't matter if the country and consequently the people living there were nuked.

And I thought you were all for logic :rolleyes:

It is a ****hole. It's a backward, uncivilised rock. However, at least it's no longer run by a bunch of tyrants, which is why I praised and continue to praise the intervention.

And no, it wouldn't make much of a difference if it were nuked; its GDP is a quarter of that of the State of New York.
They won. Its how facsism works dont you know?
Original post by tw68
And what happened in 2002/2003 that suggested this was such an imminent threat that had to be dealt with via a large scale invasion?

Saddam's noncompliance with the United Nations resolutions; enough was enough basically.
Reply 84
Original post by Stalin
It is a ****hole. It's a backward, uncivilised rock. However, at least it's no longer run by a bunch of tyrants, which is why I praised and continue to praise the intervention.

And no, it wouldn't make much of a difference if it were nuked; its GDP is a quarter of that of the State of New York.

Apart from the whole innocent Iraqi civilians dying thing. I agree with the war in principle but really I think there were too many civilian casulaties to look back on it as a moral success.
Original post by milkytea
Apart from the whole innocent Iraqi civilians dying thing. I agree with the war in principle but really I think there were too many civilian casulaties to look back on it as a moral success.

The vast majority of the Iraqi civilians died due to sectarian violence advocated by a group of disgusting thugs hell-bent on restoring Bronze Age ideals.

We shouldn't have disbanded the Iraqi police and subsequently left tens, if not, hundreds of thousands of men unemployed; which resulted in the looting of many Iraqi cities and a peroid of utter chaos. Nor should we have sent in such a small force incapable of dealing with the aftermath of the invasion.

Having said that, Iraq has now been liberated. The people are free, women have rights and the country has a future.
Reply 86
Original post by Stalin

Firstly, whilst I would agree that the Taliban's rule was both backward and repressive, I don't make the mistake of confusing the government with the population. Are you telling me that all the people living there are backward and uncivilised people?

The Taliban may not be in charge any more (although there have been suggestions of negotiating with certain elements of the Taliban, which would result in them having some political influence) but the corrupt warlords in charge now are hardly worthy of praise.

Well it may not make a difference economically but I don't think everyone sees the value of human life through a State's GDP .
Reply 87
Original post by Stalin
Saddam's noncompliance with the United Nations resolutions; enough was enough basically.

Yes of course the United States has always been a stalwart for standing up for UN resolutions, especially with Israel :rolleyes:
Original post by tw68
Firstly, whilst I would agree that the Taliban's rule was both backward and repressive, I don't make the mistake of confusing the government with the population. Are you telling me that all the people living there are backward and uncivilised people?

The Taliban may not be in charge any more (although there have been suggestions of negotiating with certain elements of the Taliban, which would result in them having some political influence) but the corrupt warlords in charge now are hardly worthy of praise.

Well it may not make a difference economically but I don't think everyone sees the value of human life through a State's GDP .

A good portion of people in Afghanistan happen to share the same Bronze Age ideals.

And, in order to shut you up, no, of course I didn't literally mean Afghanistan would be the same if we nuked it. Stop taking everything I say so literally and learn to laugh, you pedantic buffoon.
Original post by tw68
Yes of course the United States has always been a stalwart for standing up for UN resolutions, especially with Israel :rolleyes:

Israel hasn't invaded any of its neighbours simply because it can; nor has it committed, or at least attempted to commit, genocide; nor does it preach the same hatred towards its Muslim citizens simply because they happen to share a different faith; nor does it brutally oppress its citizens, creating a series of prisons which resemble Stalin's gulags.

Israel's maltreatment of the Palestinians is one thing, but it is no way comparable to anything Saddam did to the Iraqis.
Reply 90
Original post by Stalin
A good portion of people in Afghanistan happen to share the same Bronze Age ideals.

And, in order to shut you up, no, of course I didn't literally mean Afghanistan would be the same if we nuked it. Stop taking everything I say so literally and learn to laugh, you pedantic buffoon.

So what? A good proportion of Americans hold beliefs that I would consider incredibly backward. I don't suggest we invade America in order to 'civilise' these people.

Well which parts do you not want me to take literally, because a lot of your arguments are laughable.
Reply 91
Original post by Stalin
Israel hasn't invaded any of its neighbours simply because it can; nor has it committed, or at least attempted to commit, genocide; nor does it preach the same hatred towards its Muslim citizens simply because they happen to share a different faith; nor does it brutally oppress its citizens, creating a series of prisons which resemble Stalin's gulags.

Israel's maltreatment of the Palestinians is one thing, but it is no way comparable to anything Saddam did to the Iraqis.

Yes and I agree entirely, Saddam deserved to be deposed. But you cannot use that as your reason when you continue to ignore equally repressive regimes and even support those such as Saudi Arabia.
Original post by tw68
So what? A good proportion of Americans hold beliefs that I would consider incredibly backward. I don't suggest we invade America in order to 'civilise' these people.

Well which parts do you not want me to take literally, because a lot of your arguments are laughable.

Those aren't arguments, they're jokes. Perhaps a few more hours in school might do you some good.

But sure, let's debate the Iraq war. I love doing so with Islamofascist-supporting, genocide-advocating lovers of tyranny.
Reply 93
Original post by tw68

The UN matters when it suits America. Otherwise, as one after the next Israeli PM has said "UN resolutions are not binding". Hypocrisy to the tee. :rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly. Those for interventionism are nothing but cultural supremacists and, by and large, they admit to it (on some religious or non-religious basis).
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tw68
Yes and I agree entirely, Saddam deserved to be deposed. But you cannot use that as your reason when you continue to ignore equally repressive regimes and even support those such as Saudi Arabia.

There's one thing you haven't understood.

I. Am. Not. The. Involved. In. The. British. Government.

I don't have a say in our foreign policy, or which country we decide to liberate. However, when a chance to decimate a dictatorship - rivalled only by Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot - comes along, we must grab it.

Pointing the finger and making such an absurd statement like the one you've just made only goes to show that you could not care less about the Iraqi people, let alone the Kurds.
Reply 95
Original post by Stalin
Those aren't arguments, they're jokes. Perhaps a few more hours in school might do you some good.

But sure, let's debate the Iraq war. I love doing so with Islamofascist-supporting, genocide-advocating lovers of tyranny.

If we are going to talk about re-education, then perhaps you should educate yourself in deductive logic.

For you my opposition to the Iraq War = Islamofascist-supporting, genocide-advocating lover of tyranny.

How could I possibly compete in a debate against such superior logic :frown:
Original post by DJkG.1
The UN matters when it suits America. Otherwise, as one after the next Israeli PM has said "UN resolutions are not binding". Hypocrisy to the tee. :rolleyes:

The same can be said for the Arabs, you know, the Palestinians you so staunchly support - why wasn't their sympathy shown towards the Israelis in 1948 - see the Catastrophe.
Original post by tw68
If we are going to talk about re-education, then perhaps you should educate yourself in deductive logic.

For you my opposition to the Iraq War = Islamofascist-supporting, genocide-advocating lover of tyranny.

How could I possibly compete in a debate against such superior logic :frown:

You either support the Iraq war and acknowledge that every previous attempt to settle the affair diplomatically failed and thus, have no choice but to support interventionism; or, on the other hand, you couldn't care less about the Iraqi people and allow Saddam to continue his iron grip, similar to Stalin's, over Iraq. If you advocate a position similar to the latter one I suggested you are a someone I'd gladly have shot and are, of course, nothing more than an Islamofascist-supporting, genocide-advocating lover of tyranny. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 98
Original post by Stalin
There's one thing you haven't understood.

I. Am. Not. The. Involved. In. The. British. Government.

I don't have a say in our foreign policy, or which country we decide to liberate. However, when a chance to decimate a dictatorship - rivalled only by Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot - comes along, we must grab it.

Pointing the finger and making such an absurd statement like the one you've just made only goes to show that you could not care less about the Iraqi people, let alone the Kurds.

I never said you were. I was talking about the Government's reasoning behind the invasion.

And how exactly does the chance come along?

Yet another display of excellent logic on your behalf. I have never said that I supported Saddam's rule and his treatment of the Iraqi and Kurdish people. I don't see how me pointing out the hypocrisy in any way shows that I don't care about the Iraqi people.
Reply 99
Original post by Stalin
The vast majority of the Iraqi civilians died due to sectarian violence advocated by a group of disgusting thugs hell-bent on restoring Bronze Age ideals.

We shouldn't have disbanded the Iraqi police and subsequently left tens, if not, hundreds of thousands of men unemployed; which resulted in the looting of many Iraqi cities and a peroid of utter chaos. Nor should we have sent in such a small force incapable of dealing with the aftermath of the invasion.

Having said that, Iraq has now been liberated. The people are free, women have rights and the country has a future.

Wasn't there a substantial amount of US bombing, as well, though?

I don't really think the West has got its humanitarian intervention act together - almost to the point that it makes intervention immoral.

I'm glad Saddam's regime was ended and dislike the way many brainless hippies protest against the war without reading the facts. But the way the intervention was handled left a lot to be desired.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending