The Student Room Group

Is my school allowed to refuse me entry?

I’ve just done my one and only GCSE paper but I’m wondering if my school has been breaching my rights over the past year?
So I was moved to this new school when i was in year 9 under a managed transfer but struggled to settle in because we kept being sent home to isolate and my transfer ended up being dragged out to 9 months (usual transfer is 12 weeks) by this point i couldnt get into any classes due to my autism (i have an EHCP) and by year 10 the school pulled me out of all classes and had me on a separate timetable for the SEND students. Obviously in year 10 my gcses were a big worry but I had enough of these SEND classes to bag 5 gcses. About 18 months ago a new SENDCO was hired and she pulled me out of a bunch of the SEND classes, and barred me from coming into the school outside of the sessions for my “mental health” (I had no say in this, but it was because of a safeguarding matter or something) and ever since I’ve been having less and less sessions and by the end of the year I was only allowed to come in 2 hours a week, the other professionals around me asked the school why I was being given so few hours and CAMHS told the school I needed more hours as I had quite literally nothing to do outside of my 2 hours a week in school. 30 minutes of this 2 hours was during lunch so I could spend time with the 2 friends I had in SEND, but then that time was taken away. CAMHS once again told the school I needed that time because I would and have gone weeks without speaking to anyone. Anyway so now I’m finishing the year with a grand total of 1 GCSE being sat. They didn’t let me sit the first paper so I guess you could say I say half of my biology GCSE. Is this legal? What are my rights as a student and am I entitled to some kind of anything so I can atleast do something with my future?
Reply 1
Original post by Baileyyyyyyy
I’ve just done my one and only GCSE paper but I’m wondering if my school has been breaching my rights over the past year?
So I was moved to this new school when i was in year 9 under a managed transfer but struggled to settle in because we kept being sent home to isolate and my transfer ended up being dragged out to 9 months (usual transfer is 12 weeks) by this point i couldnt get into any classes due to my autism (i have an EHCP) and by year 10 the school pulled me out of all classes and had me on a separate timetable for the SEND students. Obviously in year 10 my gcses were a big worry but I had enough of these SEND classes to bag 5 gcses. About 18 months ago a new SENDCO was hired and she pulled me out of a bunch of the SEND classes, and barred me from coming into the school outside of the sessions for my “mental health” (I had no say in this, but it was because of a safeguarding matter or something) and ever since I’ve been having less and less sessions and by the end of the year I was only allowed to come in 2 hours a week, the other professionals around me asked the school why I was being given so few hours and CAMHS told the school I needed more hours as I had quite literally nothing to do outside of my 2 hours a week in school. 30 minutes of this 2 hours was during lunch so I could spend time with the 2 friends I had in SEND, but then that time was taken away. CAMHS once again told the school I needed that time because I would and have gone weeks without speaking to anyone. Anyway so now I’m finishing the year with a grand total of 1 GCSE being sat. They didn’t let me sit the first paper so I guess you could say I say half of my biology GCSE. Is this legal? What are my rights as a student and am I entitled to some kind of anything so I can atleast do something with my future?

You can take any exam you choose to, but your school does not have to support your entry for any exams. You could leave school but do your GCSEs as a private candidate where the school has no control over your entry or qualifications.
The school gets judged on its results. Those results affect its place in league tables, public perception of the place, Ofsted inspection results, and its funding. It cannot afford to enter students for exams that it judges they have no chance of passing. And it won't even want you to go to classes and then just enter the exam privately, because it gets judged on how many students completed the course, as well as how many of them completed and passed.

You may think this is unfair, and is all about the school's reputation and money, rather than education for its own sake. But you should not blame the school for this, that's the system that schools work with. Blame whatever government set up a system fixated on Targets: I think you'll find it was Tony Blair's government.

But I hope you can get this problem sorted out though and still get the GCSEs that you want

Quick Reply

Latest