The Student Room Group

Year abroad at SciencesPo or placement year?

Hi all,

I'm just going into my second year of (BA) politics with international relations at the University of York, and it's getting to that crucial point in my degree where I decide whether to do a placement year or a year abroad. For some context, in my first year I achieved a first grade overall (70%), have done two internships (Parliamentary Assitant to an MP and Research Assistant at Tony Blair Institute), have been published in a peer-reviewed UG journal, and hold an editorial position on a politics magazine. After York I'd like to apply for a master's in public policy at LSE or UCL before going into policy research at a think tank or elsewhere.

I feel as though a year at SciencesPo will bolster my master's applications massively and it might also be a lot of fun and I'm sure I'd learn some really interesting stuff. I am concerned, however, about missing out on the benefits of a placement year (i.e., money, experience etc). But might the experience I've already picked up through internships etc make up for this?

I'd be really grateful if someone could offer me some advice! Thank you.
Reply 1
what is the interview process at tbi?
Original post by Sir_Sharky
Hi all,

I'm just going into my second year of (BA) politics with international relations at the University of York, and it's getting to that crucial point in my degree where I decide whether to do a placement year or a year abroad. For some context, in my first year I achieved a first grade overall (70%), have done two internships (Parliamentary Assitant to an MP and Research Assistant at Tony Blair Institute), have been published in a peer-reviewed UG journal, and hold an editorial position on a politics magazine. After York I'd like to apply for a master's in public policy at LSE or UCL before going into policy research at a think tank or elsewhere.

I feel as though a year at SciencesPo will bolster my master's applications massively and it might also be a lot of fun and I'm sure I'd learn some really interesting stuff. I am concerned, however, about missing out on the benefits of a placement year (i.e., money, experience etc). But might the experience I've already picked up through internships etc make up for this?

I'd be really grateful if someone could offer me some advice! Thank you.

If you've already got interesting placement experience and you want a career in a more academic than commercial environment, then I suspect Sciences Po on your CV will carry more weight than a placement year - unless you can secure something very impressive.

Sorry, realise you posted this a few months ago. I hope you are happy with your decision!
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending