The Student Room Group

Getting INTO Medicine Is My LIFE!

Hi, GCSE are coming up know I have to get like 10A* to have a good chance of getting into medical school. Can someone tell me what subjects you have to take, in GCSE, and were your GCSE hard or easy!! And how did you revise!!

And one more question im so eager to ask! Say all your top 3 choices universties declined you, what would you do? If you applied to other uni's and they also declined you what would you do????

THANKS!!! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by My Life
Hi, GCSE are coming up know I have to get like 10A* to have a good chance of getting into medical school. Can someone tell me what subjects you have to take, in GCSE, and were your GCSE hard or easy!! And how did you revise!!

And one more question im so eager to ask! Say all your top 3 choices universties declined you, what would you do? If you applied to other uni's and they also declined you what would you do????

You don't need 10 A*, but it would open more doors for you. Take a look at the GCSE requirements page on the wiki.

As long as you have science (either double or triple), maths and english at GCSE then you're fine.

GCSE's are incredibly easy, although it might not feel like it right now. I revised solely from CGP guides.

You can apply to 4 medical schools, so I assume you mean if all of the 4 reject you? There are various options. You can either do another course completely and forget about medicine, do another course and reapply to graduate entry medicine or take a gap year and reapply. Approximately 60%~ of people receive 4 rejections when applying for medicine.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
You don't need 10 A*, but it would open more doors for you. Take a look at the GCSE requirements page on the wiki.

As long as you have science (either double or triple), maths and english at GCSE then you're fine.

GCSE's are incredibly easy, although it might not feel like it right now. I revised solely from CGP guides.

You can apply to 4 medical schools, so I assume you mean if all of the 4 reject you? There are various options. You can either do another course completely and forget about medicine, do another course and reapply to graduate entry medicine or take a gap year and reapply. Approximately 60%~ of people receive 4 rejections when applying for medicine.

Hi thanks so much!!! :smile::biggrin:
You really helped me, im going to give some personal rep for you.

I want to apply for Medicine at Manchester and it says : Manchester (Maths B) and ( english B) BB (dual science) or CC (bio, phys) Minimum of 7 passes. Grade A minimum required in 5 subjects (these subjects do not include Applied Business, Applied ICT or short courses)

If I achieve something like this:
English A
Maths B
Chemistry A*
Biology A*
Physics A*
History A*

( What other subjects could I apply for?)
Really appreciated your help :smile:
Just to put your mind at ease a little, the majority of my friends were plesantly suprised with their GCSE grades. As was I! Yes, I revised a lot, but the eventual grades were higher than I thought I would get.

Just revise your ass off- but make sure that you know how you learn. For example, if you're a visual learner, you wouldn't be making best use of your time making lots and lots of notes. I learned that the hard way in the early years of high school.
Reply 4
Original post by Gemma :)!
Just to put your mind at ease a little, the majority of my friends were plesantly suprised with their GCSE grades. As was I! Yes, I revised a lot, but the eventual grades were higher than I thought I would get.

Just revise your ass off- but make sure that you know how you learn. For example, if you're a visual learner, you wouldn't be making best use of your time making lots and lots of notes. I learned that the hard way in the early years of high school.

Thankyou!! Are you a medical student? If so, what uni were you at and what GCSE did you get? Thanks so much! :smile:
Reply 5
You again :tongue:

Your 13! Just get good GCSE grades.
Original post by My Life
Thankyou!! Are you a medical student? If so, what uni were you at and what GCSE did you get? Thanks so much! :smile:

No I'm not a medical student, just thought I'd put your mind at ease about your GCSEs :-)

Although I got A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAA in my GCSEs, so probably wouldn't have made it into medicine even if I'd wanted to.. but I was expecting to get all Cs the whole way through Y10 and Y11!
Reply 7
Original post by Organ
You again :tongue:

Your 13! Just get good GCSE grades.

Haha :smile:
Im so intrested in Medicine!
Are you sure? :wink:
Reply 8
Your life? Really?
Reply 9
No I'm not a medical student, just thought I'd put your mind at ease about your GCSEs :-)

Although I got A*A*A*A*A*AAAAAA in my GCSEs, so probably wouldn't have made it into medicine even if I'd wanted to.. but I was expecting to get all Cs the whole way through Y10 and Y11!

Thankyou! lol
Reply 10
Thankyou To Beska and Jemma You really helped me.
Original post by My Life

I want to apply for Medicine at Manchester and it says : Manchester (Maths B) and ( english B) BB (dual science) or CC (bio, phys) Minimum of 7 passes. Grade A minimum required in 5 subjects (these subjects do not include Applied Business, Applied ICT or short courses)

These are the very minimum requirements you need, most people far exceed them.

For Manchester a great reflective personal statement with lots of voluntary work, leadership experience, hobbies/sports and excellent communication skills at interview are what will get you a place, not sky-high GCSEs.

Grades are important, but 10 A*s and 4 As at Alevel alone won't get you a place.

p.s. you're 13? You need to chill out! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by HotCoco.
Your life? Really?

A manchester medic. You must be god or something to the OP.
Reply 13
Original post by theatrical
These are the very minimum requirements you need, most people far exceed them.

For Manchester a great reflective personal statement with lots of voluntary work, leadership experience, hobbies/sports and excellent communication skills at interview are what will get you a place, not sky-high GCSEs.

Grades are important, but 10 A*s and 4 As at Alevel alone won't get you a place.

Cool thanks for the info. So to recap, a good amount of GCSE and A-levels discussed with alot of people lol :biggrin: , and lots of volunatry experience at hospitals, medical surgeries, does this all come in your records or do you have to tell them at your interview?
Haha, if you are 13 chill out as people have said!!!!

Just enjoy how easy school is at that age. When i was 13 I had two things on my mind football and food, that is all you need in life at that age :biggrin:
Hello, yes having all A*s is a big bonus. There is no special combination beyond the compulsory subjects so dont fret. HOWEVER DO NOT DO BTECS/GNVQs!!! Always stay in GCSE.
Original post by My Life

I only have 2.5 A*s, 4 As and 3 Bs...And just got made an offer by a medial school.
In some ways I wish I'd know I wanted to do medicine at 13 - would have meant I could have used my Year 10 work experience for something clinical rather than mucking about in an outdoor pursuits shop and saved myself some paperwork and application letter writing later on :P

I did seperate sciences, English lit & language, maths, history, religious studies, Spanish and double engineering (which was a bit dossy, but was great fun and added some variety to my timetable) and got 11A*s - I didn't know when I chose my GCSEs that I wanted to apply for medicine, and to be honest if I could go back and change them I wouldn't. Getting the required grades in the core subjects and to do the appropriate A-levels is the important bit at GCSE in my opinion.

As has been said though, academics aren't the be all and end all, but don't get too bogged down in work experience/volunteering for your personal statement either. Get the balance right between work and having a life outside of your UCAS form otherwise you'll finish school and wonder where half of your childhood went :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Your life eh? Sounds awesome.

For my predicted grades (which are important since may sixforms and colleges that I'm applying to need your predicted grades to consider whether to give you an interview or not), how good would you rate my grades on a scale of 1-10? 10 being the best:

Maths - A*
Mandarin - A*
Cantonese - A*
Science (Core) - A
History - A
English Language - A
English Literatuer - A
Religious education - A
Science (Additional) - B
French - C
Graphics Products - C
ICT - C

3A*s, 5As, 1B, 3Cs

What are the chances of me getting into a good private school with these grades? unlikely? =/

Latest

Trending

Trending