The Student Room Group

GCSE massive rant- how do I make my self feel better

So basically I feel like i have I did so bad in gcses eventhough I didn't really🙁. I got 3 5s in eng lit, biology and maths, I got 2 6s in history and physics, 2 7s in eng lang and chemistry and 3 8s in Spanish,polish,and re. I want to study bio,chem and psychology in sixth form and hopefully do medicine. But I have checked most unis want 7s and at least a 6 in bio and maths but I got 5s in them both. I still haven't checked with my chosen sixth form if am still doing the courses I want to do. I haven't told my parents yet. I feel horrible. I am rethinking my whole life if I even want to do medicine but I dont really have any interests. I checked the grade boundaries and in bio and 1 mark off a 6 and in maths four marks off a 6. In physics am four marks off a 7. I contemplating getting bio and maths reviewed but I dont want my grade to go down or stay the same and potentially waste money. Is anyone else feeling the same? Everyone says GCSE dont matter and etc but most unis for medicine check gcses grades. I feel like a failure and disappointment. I also dont want my little sister to find out, probably bully me and compare us as she's going into yr 10 next year but she will probably find out😣. My parents expect a lot from me.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Giftedandlifted
So basically I feel like i have I did so bad in gcses eventhough I didn't really🙁. I got 3 5s in eng lit, biology and maths, I got 2 6s in history and physics, 2 7s in eng lang and chemistry and 3 8s in Spanish,polish,and re. I want to study bio,chem and psychology in sixth form and hopefully do medicine. But I have checked most unis want 7s and at least a 6 in bio and maths but I got 5s in them both. I still haven't checked with my chosen sixth form if am still doing the courses I want to do. I haven't told my parents yet. I feel horrible. I am rethinking my whole life if I even want to do medicine but I dont really have any interests. I checked the grade boundaries and in bio and 1 mark off a 6 and in maths four marks off a 6. In physics am four marks off a 7. I contemplating getting bio and maths reviewed but I dont want my grade to go down or stay the same and potentially waste money. Is anyone else feeling the same? Everyone says GCSE dont matter and etc but most unis for medicine check gcses grades. I feel like a failure and disappointment. I also dont want my little sister to find out, probably bully me and compare us as she's going into yr 10 next year but she will probably find out😣. My parents expect a lot from me.

read this thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7390265
Reply 2

U did amazing, I say u should look at unis outside of London than offer medicine, check the requirements and compare, u can always look into biomed and then switch to medicine, but first of all u need to get the top grades for science if u do them for A levels, the best for sure.
I don't want to sound like a bummer but A-Levels are not easy and you don't really want to be doing A-Levels in subjects (Maths/Bio) that you got 5's in especially if you're looking for medicine where you're going to need A's to get in. Despite this if you feel that you majorly underperformed then go for it and you may find you thrive during A-Levels. Lastly, though many Uni's will look at your GCSE's for medicine there are also many that will not and will instead put more weighting on the UCAT and your A-Level predicted grades, But overall if you want to still go for medicine then go for it and you defo still have a chance but you need to really think about whether you honestly feel you're capable.
Original post by r.unknownnn
U did amazing, I say u should look at unis outside of London than offer medicine, check the requirements and compare, u can always look into biomed and then switch to medicine, but first of all u need to get the top grades for science if u do them for A levels, the best for sure.

Thank you for the response! I've looked into biomed to medicine and might be one my back up options and honestly seems like a some years wasted (probs not but to me it kinda does) if I want to go into medicine.
Original post by TobyMacDonald
I don't want to sound like a bummer but A-Levels are not easy and you don't really want to be doing A-Levels in subjects (Maths/Bio) that you got 5's in especially if you're looking for medicine where you're going to need A's to get in. Despite this if you feel that you majorly underperformed then go for it and you may find you thrive during A-Levels. Lastly, though many Uni's will look at your GCSE's for medicine there are also many that will not and will instead put more weighting on the UCAT and your A-Level predicted grades, But overall if you want to still go for medicine then go for it and you defo still have a chance but you need to really think about whether you honestly feel you're capable.

Thank you for the response! I was wondering if there's other things that I can do if I just take alevel chem instead of both bio and chem. Or even other things that I can do instead of medicine. But being brutally honest I want a stable career with a well paying income, (mainly in science/ science in a techfield), that wont take most of my life in pursuing but I dont even know what to do with my current grades.( sorry for the rant😓 I have a lot in my mind now.)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Thank you for the response! I've looked into biomed to medicine and might be one my back up options and honestly seems like a some years wasted (probs not but to me it kinda does) if I want to go into medicine.

I wish I saw your response sooner,
Get biology remarked asap. Not the other ones but do biology

Quick Reply

Latest