The Student Room Group

Throwing away my secure middle class life to pursue my dreams...

My life is in an absolute mess. Ive got my parents forcing and controlling me to do a degree which i dont like plus cannot pass. No surprise im repeating my first year and it feels real good to see my friends pass and mock me.
Ive applied for jobs but have failed. To think atleast a year of doing engineering at uni would get you somewhere...
So this is it really...with one and a half grand in my bank Im planning to drop out later next year coz i cant take it anymore. My uni said i cant change courses till next sept...Like I even have a chance against next years appliers so i aint applyin again for ****... Youd think im a fool to give away all this financial security (from my parents) and degree but if YOU were in my shoes...made insane by your parents to carry on a subject just for their satisfaction, tradition...especially when they happen to be asian....I would bet youd do the same...
I want to start of my own business but i really cant do squat with my money coz i need a place to live...and with no job especially when im living in london i guess I would be a complete fool to drop out.
I feel the days are going really fast and i dont know how long i can keep up with this stress and emotional torture.
I just need some advice on what i should do.
Im posting this by using my mobile as my laptop was destroyed yesterday when i had a fight...haha im truely screwed...
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Join the merchant navy?

Enlist in the armed forces?
Reply 2
Bump
thread title
Throwing away my secure middle class life to pursue my dreams

What dreams
Reply 4
Original post by dnumberwang
What dreams

You obviously skipped my long post....never mind...
Original post by godofwar

Oh sorry, I missed 'you want to start your own business', I mean I know exactly what you're talking about from that...

You didn't actually specify any dreams...
Reply 7
From reading the post, I can see you're in a terribly difficult position. Perhaps try making a compromise with your parents? I've heard asian parents to be rather strict, but perhaps say to them if you complete the engineering degree to whatever classification you can get (I'm sure in the back of their minds if you're repeating your first year then they might think you're more suited for something else.) then go on to do a different degree or qualification afterwards.
For ****s sakes...this is pointless...might aswell close the god damn thread if people are good to **** about.
So WHAT I didn't specify my ****ing dreams. As if it makes any difference.

Do you have a clear plan with regards to starting your own business?

If not, you need to get an education and/or get a job

If you do, you should probably still get an education and/or get a job anyway, so you can stay solvent while doing your enterprisin.
Come up with an idea of what you want to do first. It doesn't look like you have one
My life is in an absolute mess. Ive got my parents forcing and controlling me to do a degree which i dont like plus cannot pass. No surprise im repeating my first year and it feels real good to see my friends pass and mock me.
Ive applied for jobs but have failed. To think atleast a year of doing engineering at uni would get you somewhere...
So this is it really...with one and a half grand in my bank Im planning to drop out later next year coz i cant take it anymore. My uni said i cant change courses till next sept...Like I even have a chance against next years appliers so i aint applyin again for ****... Youd think im a fool to give away all this financial security (from my parents) and degree but if YOU were in my shoes...made insane by your parents to carry on a subject just for their satisfaction, tradition...especially when they happen to be asian....I would bet youd do the same...
I want to start of my own business but i really cant do squat with my money coz i need a place to live...and with no job especially when im living in london i guess I would be a complete fool to drop out.
I feel the days are going really fast and i dont know how long i can keep up with this stress and emotional torture.
Im posting this by using my mobile as my laptop was destroyed yesterday when i had a fight...haha im truely screwed...

1st Quote: :sexface:
2nd Quote::eek: Such a hard fight. I'm sure you know some of martial arts, don't you?
Reply 11
Well if you want to start a business go ahead, there's nothing in your way, the barriers you believe exist are just a illusion you set up yourself.
Reply 12
You need something to fall back on just in case business fails.
Besides, you should see that professors of management these days who have had a lot of experience in business and entrepreneurship have actually done engineering degrees, which I find quite weird.
Original post by Stratos
the barriers you believe exist are just a illusion you set up yourself. Love is all we have. :smile:

+1
Reply 14
You worry that you won't have the money to start a business. Well I can tell you now that I started a business with 1p, yes ONE PENNY last year and although I may not have a business big enough to support myself yet, this may be possible if I weren't still in full time education and had more time. However, my business had a turnover this year of several thousand pounds. If this can be done in just a few hours each evening then just imagine what could be done full time.
There are many grants available and many ways you could get financial backing to start your own business. Perhaps even talk to your parents once you have made a plan, and show them that you can do it. There is a chance even they could give you the resources to start up.
It takes risk, but it's definitely possible!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15

Why don't you think you'd have a chance against next year's applicants?

If you're interested into going into business could you not try to switch to some kind of business orientated degree, does your uni not do any?

If I were you, I would speak to my parents. Tell them it's not working out because you don't enjoy your subject and are no good at it, and that there's no point wasting money on a degree you may well fail. Tell them that you want to stay at uni, because you recognise that education is important (if you're parents think this, then it's good to show them that you agree with the fundamentals and don't just want to bum around for a few years), and that you want to do whatever degree you find that will help you in business (or whatever you want to go into - it's not really clear from the post).

If you're dead set on leaving uni then I guess the above isn't an option, but leaving uni without a degree could be problematic if you've no idea what else to go into, and have no real skills.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Deadly Lightshade
Do you have a clear plan with regards to starting your own business?

If not, you need to get an education and/or get a job

If you do, you should probably still get an education and/or get a job anyway, so you can stay solvent while doing your enterprisin.

Ofcourse I have a plan. Been working on it for a while now. I'd be fool if I just dropped out to start a 'business'....
Reply 17
Original post by Lemons
Why don't you think you'd have a chance against next year's applicants?

If you're interested into going into business could you not try to switch to some kind of business orientated degree, does your uni not do any?

If I were you, I would speak to my parents. Tell them it's not working out because you don't enjoy your subject and are no good at it, and that there's no point wasting money on a degree you may well fail. Tell them that you want to stay at uni, because you recognise that education is important (if you're parents think this, then it's good to show them that you agree with the fundamentals and don't just want to bum around for a few years), and that you want to do whatever degree you find that will help you in business (or whatever you want to go into - it's not really clear from the post).

If you're dead set on leaving uni then I guess the above isn't an option, but leaving uni without a degree could be problematic if you've no idea what else to go into, and have no real skills.

Tried but my uni said I'd need to take a gap year....
Forget my parents...you think I haven't tried reasoning with them?
And plus I do have a plan but every plan needs money. And money is little I have. Money sucks...damnnn
Reply 18
Original post by laura94
You worry that you won't have the money to start a business. Well I can tell you now that I started a business with 1p, yes ONE PENNY last year and although I may not have a business big enough to support myself yet, this may be possible if I weren't still in full time education and had more time. However, my business had a turnover this year of several thousand pounds. If this can be done in just a few hours each evening then just imagine what could be done full time.
There are many grants available and many ways you could get financial backing to start your own business. Perhaps even talk to your parents once you have made a plan, and show them that you can do it. There is a chance even they could give you the resources to start up.
It takes risk, but it's definitely possible!

Thanks for a proper answer!
Reply 19
Original post by dd4483
Why do you feel the need to be so vulgar?

And TSR, why don't you remove posts like this?

Because YOU haven't reported it. :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending