The Student Room Group

Border Force vs RSPCA

I'm currently facing a dilemma on whether I should choose a career that I've always wanted to do or stay in the very stable career that I am in now.

I currently work for Border Force and earn 41k a year. However, I've seen applications open for RSPCA Animal Welfare Officer posts which has excited me. This is really frustrating as I'd love to work for the RSPCA but the pay is shockingly low for what they do and witness. I'd be looking at 25k a year which is a massive drop in pay from what I get now. I have put in an application but I don't know whether it would be worth it - there's limited information about progression in the RSPCA. I used to dream as a child about being an RSPCA inspector so I got really excited about applying but I can't believe the pay gap.

I'm currently living for free at a family members house and I'm 22 years old but with the cost of living crisis, I don't want to make life harder for myself by choosing a lower paid job and finding it harder to buy or rent. However, I feel I'll probably find working for the RSPCA more self-fulfilling as it was my dream job.

Is there any advice you can give me?
Reply 1
At your young age, it makes sense to take some risks and pursue your dream career in animal welfare at the RSPCA, even with the pay cut. The fulfillment and passion you will get from that work is invaluable.

The cost of living is always a concern, but you may be able to find ways to supplement your income or reduce expenses if needed. Perhaps you could find a part-time job or take on freelance work to help balance the lower RSPCA salary. Or maybe you continue living with family a bit longer to save on housing costs.

Additionally, getting your foot in the door at an organization like the RSPCA can lead to better pay over time through promotions, raises, and expanded skills. The experience alone will be tremendous and may open doors down the road.

My advice would be to take the leap and accept the RSPCA role. Follow your heart. You don't want to look back with regret, wondering "what if?" This is the time in life to pursue passions, gain experience, and build a career you love. The financial piece can be managed.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm currently facing a dilemma on whether I should choose a career that I've always wanted to do or stay in the very stable career that I am in now.

I currently work for Border Force and earn 41k a year. However, I've seen applications open for RSPCA Animal Welfare Officer posts which has excited me. This is really frustrating as I'd love to work for the RSPCA but the pay is shockingly low for what they do and witness. I'd be looking at 25k a year which is a massive drop in pay from what I get now. I have put in an application but I don't know whether it would be worth it - there's limited information about progression in the RSPCA. I used to dream as a child about being an RSPCA inspector so I got really excited about applying but I can't believe the pay gap.

I'm currently living for free at a family members house and I'm 22 years old but with the cost of living crisis, I don't want to make life harder for myself by choosing a lower paid job and finding it harder to buy or rent. However, I feel I'll probably find working for the RSPCA more self-fulfilling as it was my dream job.

Is there any advice you can give me?

Curious how you find £25k shockingly low when working for a charity, well above average grad starting salary and not that much below the average uk salary.

£41k is obviously well above either and that's before taking into account the defined benefit pension.
Reply 3
You know, you raise a really good point. I was a bit over the top by calling £25k 'shockingly low' for the RSPCA job. When you mention it, that salary makes total sense for a charity role just starting out. I think I got caught up in the big drop from £41k without thinking about the norms for that field. My bad!

And I love that you brought up the pension perks and job security with the border position. You're so right - those are key things to weigh with a career change. I was looking through rose-colored glasses about following your passion without considering the practical stuff.
Reply 4
Original post by sah90
You know, you raise a really good point. I was a bit over the top by calling £25k 'shockingly low' for the RSPCA job. When you mention it, that salary makes total sense for a charity role just starting out. I think I got caught up in the big drop from £41k without thinking about the norms for that field. My bad!

And I love that you brought up the pension perks and job security with the border position. You're so right - those are key things to weigh with a career change. I was looking through rose-colored glasses about following your passion without considering the practical stuff.

So just to check, you posted as Anon, then replied to yourself without Anon...?

SEO at 22 is decent going.
I gather this is unfortunately typical in certain sectors, including many of those working with animals. It's called a "passion tax" where in sectors in which people are very motivated to work due to personal investment in the work itself, employers can get away with offering worse salaries and benefits because they know a lot of people will do whatever they can to work in that area. Common in e.g. zoos, aquariums, museums etc, from what I have heard.

I think the key thing to look at is progression opportunities and how (or if) salary will progress after that. As it may be that yes you need to suck it up and accept a pay cut for a few years doing the "grunt work" but can then try and move into more senior roles with better pay and/or more aligned with exactly what you want to do.

That said also worth looking into the exact specifics of the job and consider what the attrition rate is. I expect with roles like that it could be quite challenging emotionally and especially if you have to do that kind of work a lot and it seems a lot of people are moving through the role (which may indicate they aren't well supported), you need to consider whether you will make it through that attrition stage to be able to move onwards and upwards in the organisation as indicated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending