The Student Room Group
Ravensbourne University London
London

Year 12 & 13 Unite: Navigating University and Course Choices!

Hello, future university scholars, leaders and trailblazers! 🎓

As you embark on your A-level journey, the prospect of university choices may seem like a distant yet looming horizon. The decisions ahead might appear to be a puzzle and can sometimes feel like a whirlwind. Trust me; you're not alone in this feeling.

It's perfectly normal to find yourself at a crossroads, especially when it comes to choosing between the creative and academic paths. You might be wondering if you should follow your passion for the arts, music, design, or pursue a more traditional academic route.

We're here to help you demystify the process and make informed decisions. 🌟

What's on your mind right now?
Share your thoughts, fears, worries, and opinions with us. We're all ears!

1. Your Interests and Passions: Have you identified your interests or a passion you'd like to pursue at university? Maybe it's painting, biology, or something entirely different. Let us know what's fueling your curiosity!

2. Academic or Creative? Why Not Both?: Are you torn between creativity and academia? Share your thoughts on how you imagine combining your passions or your concerns about choosing one over the other.

3. Questions Galore: What questions are keeping you up at night? Whether they're about university applications, the courses you should take, or how to balance work and play ask away!

4. Advice Sought: Have you sought advice from teachers, counselors, or family members? Share your experiences and tell us what guidance you're looking for.

5. Dreams and Aspirations: Where do you see yourself in the future? What are your aspirations? Your dreams can provide invaluable insights into your choices.

6. Exploring University Options: Are you researching different universities and courses? What factors are influencing your choices - location, reputation, or something else?

The Year 12 stage is an incredible chapter of self-discovery and growth. It's a time when you're not just preparing for university; you're preparing for your life's journey. Every opinion, concern, and question is valid and valuable.

Let's turn this thread into a hub of knowledge and support. Share, discuss, and engage with your fellow Year 12s. Together, we can unravel the mysteries of university choices and help pave the way for a brighter, more informed future! 🌠✨ So, dear students, what's on your minds as you navigate this pivotal stage of your academic journey?

Almasi Samuels
1 year ago: 1st class Advertising & Brand Design Alumna
Now: Marketing, Communications & Content Intern
Reply 1
1. I really, REALLY love physics, especially radioactivity. I want to go into that field, but I'm not sure whether I can go into such a specific course at uni. I also love drawing and am taking commissions, but I probably won't go to uni for that, lol.

2. Hell yeah I am :-(. I'll choose academia over creativity because I know it pays better, and I can always find time to draw. I don't feel concerned about it, but maybe I will once i get busier.

3. GRAHHHH HOW DO I BALANCE WORK AND LEISURE....... I thought I was balancing it fine but I can really feel the burnout coming on....

4. I was accepted into The Access Project, which offers mentoring; I'll bother our mentor about uni choices and such so much once half-term is over!

5. I see myself with lots of money and passion for my career! As I've said, I'd love to work in particle physics :-D

6. The biggest factor for my uni choices is location. I don't care too much about stats/rankings, but it would be an added plus for me to get into one. I also would like to get a scholarship!
London
Original post by waxworm
1. I really, REALLY love physics, especially radioactivity. I want to go into that field, but I'm not sure whether I can go into such a specific course at uni. I also love drawing and am taking commissions, but I probably won't go to uni for that, lol.

2. Hell yeah I am :-(. I'll choose academia over creativity because I know it pays better, and I can always find time to draw. I don't feel concerned about it, but maybe I will once i get busier.

3. GRAHHHH HOW DO I BALANCE WORK AND LEISURE....... I thought I was balancing it fine but I can really feel the burnout coming on....

4. I was accepted into The Access Project, which offers mentoring; I'll bother our mentor about uni choices and such so much once half-term is over!

5. I see myself with lots of money and passion for my career! As I've said, I'd love to work in particle physics :-D

6. The biggest factor for my uni choices is location. I don't care too much about stats/rankings, but it would be an added plus for me to get into one. I also would like to get a scholarship!

Hi @waxworm it's great to see that you speak so passionately about your interests! Your enthusiasm is fantastic, and it's great that you're considering pursuing this field at university.

2.Keep nurturing that curiosity and love for drawing too; it can be a wonderful outlet for creativity and personal expression. Finding a balance between your passion for physics and your creative pursuits can open doors you might not have otherwise expected.

3.Balancing work and leisure can indeed be a challenge, and recognizing the signs of burnout is an important step. Remember, taking breaks and practicing self-care are essential. It's great that you're aware of this and seeking ways to maintain your well-being whether that's spending some time alone to do activities you love or spending time with friends or family.

4. Being accepted into The Access Project and having a mentor for guidance is an excellent opportunity. You're already doing a great job and taking the right steps to utilize their support to explore your university choices, and don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you want - that's what mentors are there for!

5. Your vision of a future with both financial stability and a passionate career in particle physics is great! With your determination and enthusiasm, you're well on your way to achieving your goals.

6. Are you planning to live in student accommodation or travel from home? Location is incredibly important, there are many pros and cons to consider what university you'd like to go. You might consider unversities that have good transport links, social activites for a good social life and of course has affordable housing etc! I would advise, if you haven't started browse universities you're interested in and see what scholarships they provide to get an understanding of the requirements. You can also look at external schlorships and funding you can get when going to university.

If you have any other specific questions you'd like to ask, just give me a shout.

Almasi Samuels
1 year ago: 1st class Advertising & Brand Design Alumna
Now: Marketing, Communications & Content Intern
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending