The Student Room Group

Self teaching Latin

So I want to teach myself Latin (GCSE and upto A-level standard)- but I want to do it without going to classes or paying for a tutor.

If anyone has done latin, could they recommend any books that I could use?

N.B: I dont have a time limit, I want to learn for the sake of it.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!! This is so weird, I want to learn latin as well....Maybe we could be latin buddies haha and compare our progress!
Original post by J_Alom
So I want to teach myself Latin (GCSE and upto A-level standard)- but I want to do it without going to classes or paying for a tutor.

Thanks in advance!

What's the point? Latin is not spoken anywhere! Rather learn something like German / French / Spanish / Portuguese / Arabic / ...
Original post by J_Alom

Thanks in advance!

Our school used a series of books called Ecce Romani, which were quite good IIRC. Was a while ago now.

EDIT:
Original post by llpokermuffinll
What's the point? Latin is not spoken anywhere! Rather learn something like German / French / Spanish / Portuguese / Arabic / ...

You don't learn a dead language to speak it. You usually learn it because you're interested in that era of history, the language or just for 'the fun of it'. Lots of modern languages have roots in Latin, and the strict rules which govern it tend to improve your own written English.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4

For a linguist, Latin is very useful, for example I study French and Spanish and can understand quite a bit of Afrikaans, and one can see the links between the languages through latin.

Latin is also spoken in the Vatican City :smile:
Reply 5

I know Arabic, Latin always fascinated me + it allows for some bragging rights!
Reply 6
Original post by J_Alom

Thanks in advance!

Original post by Georgey1993
Hey!! This is so weird, I want to learn latin as well....Maybe we could be latin buddies haha and compare our progress!

yeah, i actually wanted to learn too, but i think i'm gonna learn in the summer, after all of these exams, maybe i'll flick through a few text books beforehand :dontknow: :colondollar:
Oh, just throwing it out there. I should still have all my notes somewhere, so if you have any questions when you do start teaching yourself feel free to PM me. No promises that I can actually help, but I'll give it a good go :-)
Reply 8
Maybe use Cambridge Latin Course?

Caecillius est in Horto ...
Reply 9
Original post by awais590
yeah, i actually wanted to learn too, but i think i'm gonna learn in the summer, after all of these exams, maybe i'll flick through a few text books beforehand :dontknow: :colondollar:

thats my plan, something to do in the summer.
Reply 10
Original post by DeeWave
Maybe use Cambridge Latin Course?

Caecillius est in Horto ...

i think im going to do this in the summer, thanks for the info!

p.s. what does the last part mean?
Caecillius is in the garden.

(Caecillius being a person)
Reply 12
Original post by J_Alom
i think im going to do this in the summer, thanks for the info!

p.s. what does the last part mean?

'Caecillius is in the garden'

It's a classic phrase from the first translation IIRC. Anyone who's done Cambridge Latin Course will remember it fondly! :smile:
I did an Open University course which assumes no prior knowledge of Latin and teaches you up to about AS level (the link is here), which I found really, really good. You might be able to do the course for free, and you pretty much entirely self teach (you send in 4 assessments and sit an exam, but you don't have actual classes, you just learn from the books provided). The course uses this book and this book, which would probably still be of use to you if you didn't want to do the course itself. One teaches you grammar, with lots of exercises to test you on what you've learned, and a good deal of vocabulary (in each section of the book, there's a list of 'set words' to learn as well as lots of other words which might come in handy), and the other book is a Latin play which you can use to practise translation. The only drawback is that those 2 books don't have the answers/English translations in them, and I don't think you can buy an answers booklet so you wouldn't be able to check your answers and translations without doing the Open University course itself, but the book alone does explain different aspects of grammar and translation in quite a lot of detail. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DeeWave

It's a classic phrase from the first translation IIRC. Anyone who's done Cambridge Latin Course will remember it fondly! :smile:

Definitely. And of course, "Matella est in atrio", "Quintus est in triclinio" etc.
Grr, that family needs to die.
Oh wait, volcano. :giggle:

EDIT: Wait, volcano was Pliny :< Grr.
Reply 15
Original post by DeeWave

So if I were to buy the 5 books and work through them slowly ( book 1 in summer), do you think I can do it myself or would I need a teacher? what was your experience like?
Reply 16
Cambridge Latin Course! I do Latin A level and it's really good. Start with the first book (obviously) and work your way up. Good luck
i have such a desire to learn/speak latin! let me know how your progress goes, maybe you can be my tutor hahah :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by J_Alom
So if I were to buy the 5 books and work through them slowly ( book 1 in summer), do you think I can do it myself or would I need a teacher? what was your experience like?

Not at first. I'm pretty sure you could quite easily get through the first 2 on your own but with 3rd - 5th it's quite tricky. I wouldn't buy them all straight away though incase you don't like it or find it hard
Reply 19
Good luck with the speaking part :tongue: After learning it for 7 years all I can say in spoken Latin is "hello" and "goodbye" :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending