The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Is Bath boring?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Can some Bath uni insider tell me the amount of eastern asian gals (japanese <3) in the uni? (not spa one). A lot? Not many?

Very important factor for me. Very.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 21
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Part A
I agree - however, Bath is really good for Business and it seems to have a decent nightlife and good sporting facilities. Does anybody know anything about bursaries/scolarships at Bath?

That's the most important factor for me - money! I know they offer scolarships but any inside advice would be appreciated.. x

I get £1200/year bursary. And I know people with scholarships. And someone eith 2 scholarships, as the uni will recommend external scholarships you should apply for.
I'd have a look at
http://www.bath.ac.uk/studentservices/money-service/bursary/
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/finance/funding/
Reply 23
Original post by Conorrr9
I get £1200/year bursary. And I know people with scholarships. And someone eith 2 scholarships, as the uni will recommend external scholarships you should apply for.
I'd have a look at
http://www.bath.ac.uk/studentservices/money-service/bursary/
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/finance/funding/

Cheers. So I presume I would get the same bursary as you as my parents earn under £25k combined (self-employed)? So that's £1200/a year sorted.

But I would need the scolarships as well - what are the chances of me getting them for Business. Seeing as fees have gone up, a scolarship isn't anywhere as useful as they used to be but 9k over 4 years sounds pretty good.
Original post by Part A
Cheers. So I presume I would get the same bursary as you as my parents earn under £25k combined (self-employed)? So that's £1200/a year sorted.

But I would need the scolarships as well - what are the chances of me getting them for Business. Seeing as fees have gone up, a scolarship isn't anywhere as useful as they used to be but 9k over 4 years sounds pretty good.

I'm guessing you're not paying your fees upfront though so it's not a disaster, it just means you'll have to pay some of your fees (when you've got a job).

The maintenance money's much more important, as you need money for rent and food!

Did you apply for deferred entry? If you're starting in 2011, you won't pay higher fees at all (for any of your years)! (Well they've gone up by about £50 due to inflation), so they'll be just over £3300 for each year.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by angelmxxx
I'm guessing you're not paying your fees upfront though so it's not a disaster, it just means you'll have to pay some of your fees (when you've got a job).

The maintenance money's much more important, as you need money for rent and food!

Did you apply for deferred entry? If you're starting in 2011, you won't pay higher fees at all (for any of your years)! (Well they've gone up by about £50 due to inflation), so they'll be just over £3300 for each year.

Nope, I'm only in Year 11 at the moment but I'm thinking ahead to university. A bit early but I like to be prepared. It means I will have to pay the increased fees which is a real pain because I have 3 younger brothers and my family aren't that well off.
Original post by Part A
Nope, I'm only in Year 11 at the moment but I'm thinking ahead to university. A bit early but I like to be prepared. It means I will have to pay the increased fees which is a real pain because I have 3 younger brothers and my family aren't that well off.

Oh right - well your family income is irrelevant for fees as they're the same for everyone, and everyone gets a loan and doesn't have to pay upfront so no problem with parents not being able to afford it. Very few people's parents pay for them (and even fewer parents will after they go up!) so the main thing is that you'll get the maximum maintenance payments so that you can go :smile:
Reply 27
Oh right - well your family income is irrelevant for fees as they're the same for everyone, and everyone gets a loan and doesn't have to pay upfront so no problem with parents not being able to afford it. Very few people's parents pay for them (and even fewer parents will after they go up!) so the main thing is that you'll get the maximum maintenance payments so that you can go :smile:

What are the maximum maintenance payments I get? thanks.
Original post by Part A
What are the maximum maintenance payments I get? thanks.

I think about £6500 (loan+grant combined) from student finance; and then at least £300 from your uni, usually much more (about £1000 grant a year).
Reply 29
I think about £6500 (loan+grant combined) from student finance; and then at least £300 from your uni, usually much more (about £1000 grant a year).

Hmm, thanks. Oh and when you apply for accommodation, are your housemates usually of mixed gender? Like what are the ratios, can you put down your preference? thanks again for helping, what course are you on? x
But it's soooo pretty there :h:
Reply 31
Original post by Part A
Where did she do them at? And has she got any idea of what career she wants to go into e.t.c ? x

You planning on chatting her up when you get there?

Hmm, thanks. Oh and when you apply for accommodation, are your housemates usually of mixed gender? Like what are the ratios, can you put down your preference? thanks again for helping, what course are you on? x

First year is halls and you apply in about March I think. Generally mixed ~50:50 unless you specifically request single sex/apply really late and get put wherever there is space.

Bath is fantastic for sport as in one of, if not the best, university sporting facilities in the country. Clubbing wise though not a huge scene there is a fair amount of variation depending on your tastes.

Prices are high for most things but you will learn in time good value places to eat and drink.

Now I have graduated I miss the place so much, that I wish I could get a job there so I could move back.
Original post by Part A

I'm not at Bath so can't help you there, but if you go on the accommodation office's website it should have all the details (if not ring up and ask why they don't have them!)

I know Bath has some really amazingly nice (but also really expensive!) accommodation, but it must have some normal and cheaper accommodation too!

(I think Bath is all self-catered?? Not sure though so check on the website, but make sure when you're looking at prices that you know the length of the contract (38/44/52 weeks), and whether it's catered or you'd have to buy your own food, which obviously adds to the weekly cost. But if you're only in year 11 you definitely don't need to be thinking about prices yet!))
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by js374
You planning on chatting her up when you get there?

First year is halls and you apply in about March I think. Generally mixed ~50:50 unless you specifically request single sex/apply really late and get put wherever there is space.

Bath is fantastic for sport as in one of, if not the best, university sporting facilities in the country. Clubbing wise though not a huge scene there is a fair amount of variation depending on your tastes.

Prices are high for most things but you will learn in time good value places to eat and drink.

Now I have graduated I miss the place so much, that I wish I could get a job there so I could move back.

What course did you do? and what are you doing now career wise? I heard a lot of Bath students graduate with a 2:1 or 1st (like 97 percent) ? x
Reply 34
Original post by Part A
x

What course did you do? Chemistry
What are you doing now career wise? Defence stuff
I heard a lot of Bath students graduate with a 2:1 or 1st (like 97 percent) ? B******s. Off the top of my head it is about 60-70% with 2:1/1st

My best friend did Business and graduated this summer and now works at the Daily Mail. people may scoff at the employer but he can afford a flat in Kensington with his starting salary!
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm hoping to apply to Bath to for 2012 (Can't believe that's next year now!! I'll be applying by the end of this year, eek!) and it sounds exactly like my kind of place. I'm not much of a dancer, and I'd rather go to the pub than a club to be honest, but it still sounds really awesome. And expensive! *sighs* But maybe we'll both end up there, OP. :lol: But I won't be going anywhere if I don't start studying now...:rolleyes:
Reply 36
Original post by js374
What course did you do? Chemistry
What are you doing now career wise? Defence stuff
I heard a lot of Bath students graduate with a 2:1 or 1st (like 97 percent) ? B******s. Off the top of my head it is about 60-70% with 2:1/1st

My best friend did Business and graduated this summer and now works at the Daily Mail. people may scoff at the employer but he can afford a flat in Kensington with his starting salary!

I want to do Business Admin? What exactly does he do at the DM, what are career prospects like if I graduate with a 2:1 minimum? Sounds like your friend is doing pretty well.
You can put down if you'd prefer single or mixed sex for accomodation, the vast majority are mixed though.
Reply 38
Ah right, thanks for the info :smile:)
Just finished my first semester doing BBA at Bath as well.

Enjoyed every week of my time being there, I worried too about it being boring (coming from busy Manchester to small Bath) but it really isn't as long as you make the most out of it that's available to you.

To sum up I've had such a good start I didn't go home for 11 weeks, now being at home I'm bored and craving to go back and I met some amazing new people.

Quick Reply

Latest