The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonnyboy1993
Also, I am led to believe that universities prefer aptitude in pure maths at A-level rather than applied maths (UGs/graduates feel free to correct me) so it would seem pointless to force a candidate to do applied maths in STEP if they are capable of getting an S/1 on the pure questions alone, especially if this represents the skill set that Unis are looking for.

Are you sure? I guess I'm sort of a counter example to that. I have 98% in C1-C4, 97 marks in STEP I (all from pure questions) but 73 in M1 and 84 in S1 (IIRC) and I'm sitting in the pool for Cambridge fully expecting a rejection to come through in the next few days.
Remember, part of the 'skill' of doing STEP is to try to avoid the horrible questions. It's unlikely there'd be any question as bad as the one you posted, but it's staggeringly unlikely that you couldn't find 6 other questions that were much easier.

So the main aim when seeing a question like that should be to avoid it. You should be fairly familiar with the sum of the first part and how much work it takes; given that's the first part of a 4 part question, you should be pretty wary about what's going to be involved.

[Conversely, if you've practiced the hell out of finding coskθ\sum \cos k \theta and know you can do it in a few minutes, you might want to do that bit and then see how you get on with the rest].
Also, I am led to believe that universities prefer aptitude in pure maths at A-level rather than applied maths (UGs/graduates feel free to correct me)Yes, in general. Pure is most important, mechanics is a bonus. They typically don't care much about stats at all (the university treatment is so different you will relearn from scratch anyhow).

It's also worth remembering most of the "pure" STEP questions are actually applied from a university point of view anyhow.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Are you sure? I guess I'm sort of a counter example to that. I have 98% in C1-C4, 97 marks in STEP I (all from pure questions) but 73 in M1 and 84 in S1 (IIRC) and I'm sitting in the pool for Cambridge fully expecting a rejection to come through in the next few days.
I'm surprised at what's happened to you. Remind me, did you take STEP one year early or two?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by DFranklin
I'm surprised at what's happened to you. Remind me, did you take STEP one year early or two?

One. I'm not that prodigious. :p:

It's just my luck that the fees are going up next year, if they weren't, I would have no problem in reapplying next cycle (if something miraculous doesn't happen and I get rejected) but the decision is made more difficult when you know your degree is going to cost £18000 more if you wait.
(edited 13 years ago)

As I said, I don't know if that's true or not, but I've certainly heard quite a few times. Though I don't remember exactly where I've heard this, so it may not be true for many Unis, it may also be completely untrue and just one of those things applicants tell each other as reassurance.

Then again you could just be a very odd exception, or maybe there were people with better marks (I got 100 in C1-3, FP1, M1, S1 and 94 in M2) I doubt that my marks are typical, but other people may have achieved similar marks pushing you out. Also if other applicants had similar pure marks to you and then high marks in their applied units then that could put them ahead of you despite you both having similar pure scores. You also can't discard the importance of your interview performance in choosing whom to give offers to. But you did get pooled, suggesting your achievements were considered highly by Cambridge standards, but as I said others may have been deemed to have achieved higher (even with your 1 in STEP). Plus the Cambridge selection process isn't entirely flawless, so you could just be an anomaly (as horrible as that may be), I for one was shocked that you didn't get an offer and I really hoped/still hope you get fished as improbable as that is.
One. I'm not that prodigious. :p:
Wasn't sure, and if it was two years, I could see them thinking "we'd rather you get solid mechanics/stats grades than come up early without them".

I find it very strange that you didn't get called up for pool interviews. I'm almost inclined to think someone may have pulled you out without wanting to reinterview, but if that were the case I'd expect you to have heard by now.

Would be interesting to read your folder...

It's just my luck that the fees are going up next year, if they weren't, I would have no problem in reapplying next cycle (if something miraculous doesn't happen and I get rejected) but the decision is made more difficult when you know your degree is going to cost £18000 more if I wait.
As you know, I don't think the Cambridge degree is really any better than the likes of Warwick. Big question is if there's a 2nd choice you're keen on.
Original post by DFranklin
Wasn't sure, and if it was two years, I could see them thinking "we'd rather you get solid mechanics/stats grades than come up early without them".

I find it very strange that you didn't get called up for pool interviews. I'm almost inclined to think someone may have pulled you out without wanting to reinterview, but if that were the case I'd expect you to have heard by now.

Would be interesting to read your folder...

As you know, I don't think the Cambridge degree is really any better than the likes of Warwick. Big question is if there's a 2nd choice you're keen on.

The thing which bothers me most, is that they didn't ask me a single question on mechanics at interview (other than 'what went wrong in M1?'). If they did, I'm sure I would have been able to make up for that mark. As I had said earlier in the thread, I was doing STEP mechanics exclusively at that time. I had also self taught M2 and M3 in the summer. Not sure what else I could do to show that my mechanics mark was not representative of my ability in the subject.

I'm not sure whether of not you have ever seen the cover sheets for files in the pool but I can tell you that they do not have allocated boxes for the strongest points in my application. It asks for the number of A*s and As at GCSE, in which I only have 3A*s and 6As. I'm not going to make excuses for it but I studied for my GCSEs at a school with a 28% pass rate and thus achieved the second highest set of grades in the last few years however there is no place to mention that on the cover sheet. It also asks for percentage UMS achieved in relevant AS subjects. Due to M1 and S1, my average is bought down to roughly 91-92% in maths and the only other relevant subject I study is Physics, which is around 89% due to me losing loads of marks on the practical assessment (ISA). However, since there is no break-down of the results achieved in each module until they look inside the file and past the cover sheers, this was particularly hard to get across. There is a spot for the interview performance (which is the reason I have been pooled rather than rejected for my UMS IMO) and there is a box where the admission tutor can make some comments about me. That is the only place you could find any mention of STEP.

I think I'll wait until results day. I am taking STEP II and III this year to see how I get on (and Imperial asked for a grade 2 in one of them so if I choose to firm them then I need to do II/III). I think it's also worth letting you know that I didn't get the 'Nota treatment' from Warwick as they said my STEP result will count towards my offer.

I think I'll wait until results day. I am taking STEP II and III this year to see how I get on (and Imperial asked for a grade 2 in one of them so if I choose to firm them then I need to do II/III).

Random question, but are you going to the Imperial open day on Tuesday?
Random question, but are you going to the Imperial open day on Tuesday?

Nope, I wasn't even aware it was on or I would have booked a place. I'm guessing they were fully booked out ages ago? If not, could you post up a link to a page with info on it please?
Well if Maths graduate forgot a formula or two it doesn't remove the fact that his analytical skills are top notch.
Nope, I wasn't even aware it was on or I would have booked a place. I'm guessing they were fully booked out ages ago? If not, could you post up a link to a page with info on it please?

I think they emailed us about it in late November, so I'm guessing your offer was in December/January then. I only booked last week and it went through fine so I'll post the link to the page about it here
I think they emailed us about it in late November, so I'm guessing your offer was in December/January then. I only booked last week and it went through fine so I'll post the link to the page about it here

Cheers.
Another thing worth mentioning about the most recent booklet is that the very last question was one of those that they branded 'too-difficult' for STEP...
Do new booklets come out every now and then?
Original post by Piecewise
Do new booklets come out every now and then?

I'd imagine so. These have been out for at least a year and a half although they do get edited every now and then.
I'd imagine so. These have been out for at least a year and a half although they do get edited every now and then.
I guess what I was asking is whether the booklets just get updated with minor details, or do completely different/new booklets come out?

I believe you pmed me a while back saying you would have a full set of offers...maybe you learnt now life doesnt always work out smoothly like that.

if your pooling doesnt go how you want then you should definitely take one of the other 2 good offers.

tbh you will become as good a mathematician as you want to be at any one of cowi.

also if you get rejected, remember that you probably won't care in a couple years.

and if you do then you would probably be the type of guy who'd be jealous that someone was in a "better" college than you or a more exclusive social club at cambridge in which case you wouldnt have been content anyway.
Original post by Physics Enemy
It seems like, going into the interviews, the maximum you could have hoped for was pooling. Based on what you said, I can't see how you'd have had a chance of an offer.
In my opinion, the STEP grade should have been more than enough to make up for any grade glitch. :dontknow:
The thing which bothers me most, is that they didn't ask me a single question on mechanics at interview (other than 'what went wrong in M1?'). If they did, I'm sure I would have been able to make up for that mark. As I had said earlier in the thread, I was doing STEP mechanics exclusively at that time. I had also self taught M2 and M3 in the summer. Not sure what else I could do to show that my mechanics mark was not representative of my ability in the subject.
Yes, I would also be frustrated at that. The thing is, the interviewers don't generally want to give someone a 'special' interview with questions directed at them in particular, because it's hard to compare that interview with the standard ones everyone else gets.

I'm not sure whether of not you have ever seen the cover sheets for files in the pool but I can tell you that they do not have allocated boxes for the strongest points in my application. It asks for the number of A*s and As at GCSE, in which I only have 3A*s and 6As. I'm not going to make excuses for it but I studied for my GCSEs at a school with a 28% pass rate and thus achieved the second highest set of grades in the last few years however there is no place to mention that on the cover sheet. It also asks for percentage UMS achieved in relevant AS subjects. Due to M1 and S1, my average is bought down to roughly 91-92% in maths and the only other relevant subject I study is Physics, which is around 89% due to me losing loads of marks on the practical assessment (ISA). However, since there is no break-down of the results achieved in each module until they look inside the file and past the cover sheers, this was particularly hard to get across. There is a spot for the interview performance (which is the reason I have been pooled rather than rejected for my UMS IMO) and there is a box where the admission tutor can make some comments about me. That is the only place you could find any mention of STEP.
Well, I think the STEP grade is pretty relevant, so I'd be surprised if they didn't mention it in the box. But yes, it sounds like the system doesn't serve you very well here.

It really depends on how much time they get to examine each application (not much, I suspect); I think losing marks on the Physics practical is not that unusual, and something I'd expect them to be sympathetic about if they actually noticed, for example.

I think I'll wait until results day. I am taking STEP II and III this year to see how I get on (and Imperial asked for a grade 2 in one of them so if I choose to firm them then I need to do II/III). I think it's also worth letting you know that I didn't get the 'Nota treatment' from Warwick as they said my STEP result will count towards my offer.
Sounds like a fair plan; too early to make a decision without it being based on emotion anyhow. Personally I'd pick Warwick over Imperial every time (but that is largely based on I'd hate to study in London, so mileage may vary).
Original post by slylion1
I believe you pmed me a while back saying you would have a full set of offers...maybe you learnt now life doesnt always work out smoothly like that.

if your pooling doesnt go how you want then you should definitely take one of the other 2 good offers.

tbh you will become as good a mathematician as you want to be at any one of cowi.

also if you get rejected, remember that you probably won't care in a couple years.

and if you do then you would probably be the type of guy who'd be jealous that someone was in a "better" college than you or a more exclusive social club at cambridge in which case you wouldnt have been content anyway.

The thing is, that I don't even remember you at all... The fact that you remember this conversation so well is astonishing (if not, a bit odd). It's not only me who is surprised about this situation I'm in, but practically every person I have told thus far who has an understanding of what Cambridge are looking for.

I hope you understand the concept of someone wanting to study somewhere for the place and not the name. I'm aware that I'll get a very good education in maths from any of those Universities but just because it's in COWI doesn't necessarily mean that I'll want to live there for the foreseeable future, does it?

Cambridge has been my aim for a good few years now so if you cannot understand why I'm feeling a bit disappointed that I haven't been made an offer yet then there's not much I can say to change your mind.

I'd just like to mention that it is extremely rare for me to be jealous of someone else, life is too short for that.

Latest