The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Leuchars to Edinburgh by train

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
in general, is it possible to live in Edinburgh and studied at St. Andrews? some people do it ?

I'm not very keen on campus life, prefer be independant and urban life...
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
It's possible but I wouldn't recommend it. Sure, if you can handle getting up early and getting home late, and the costs of a season ticket to get there then why not... But I personally don't think it's worth it. If you're looking for urban life, Dundee is closer than Edinburgh.
Can't say I know whether people do the Edinburgh-Standrews commute, but I think people do it from Dundee.
Original post by Derbal
in general, is it possible to live in Edinburgh and studied at St. Andrews? some people do it ?

I'm not very keen on campus life, prefer be independant and urban life...

Never heard anyone who does that. It would take a lot of time and lots of money. You'd also miss out on most of the social stuff if you're having to go catch a train home and things.
Yet again, St Andrews is not a campus. I think you'd get sick of the commute if you lived in Edinburgh, it's around an hour and a half on the train, and at peak times those trains are horribly busy.

Dundee is around 20 mins drive or half an hour on the bus, and a few postgrads live in Dundee (although I've heard people complain that even Dundee is too far away). I think the problem comes because of the lack of public transport after around 11pm, which means you wouldn't be able to go out with people in St Andrews unless you wanted to leave ridiculously early.
Reply 24
Hmm I don't know... I'm french (that's why my english...) and I live alone in Paris since many years.

I have an interessant offer at Saint Andrews but I really don't see me leave here, and it will be too expansive to visit the campus for a weekend.
Reply 25
Original post by Magma828
Can someone explain to me why nobody just gets the bus straight to Edinburgh?

Question, which bus goes to Edinburgh? Is there a direct one? I've been told that there is one where I'd have to make a transfer (in Glenthroes*? don't quote me I'm learning here) but if there is a direct one that'd be much better. Thanks much!

Oh and how much is it? And it's about 2 hours and a half, right?
Reply 26
Original post by ViewlessWings
Question, which bus goes to Edinburgh? Is there a direct one? I've been told that there is one where I'd have to make a transfer (in Glenthroes*? don't quote me I'm learning here) but if there is a direct one that'd be much better. Thanks much!

Oh and how much is it? And it's about 2 hours and a half, right?

X59 goes direct to Edinburgh. It's only on Sundays (I think) that you have to change buses at Glenrothes. But it's literally get off one bus, get on another, bus leaves within 5 minutes. And if the first bus is late, they'll hold the second one.

I think it's about £10-11 return, and yeah about 2 and a half hours.
Reply 27
Original post by duracell
X59 goes direct to Edinburgh. It's only on Sundays (I think) that you have to change buses at Glenrothes. But it's literally get off one bus, get on another, bus leaves within 5 minutes. And if the first bus is late, they'll hold the second one.

I think it's about £10-11 return, and yeah about 2 and a half hours.

does it arrive at Waverley Station?
Reply 28
Original post by ViewlessWings
does it arrive at Waverley Station?

Nope, St Andrews Square Bus Station, but from there it's about a 5 minute walk to Waverley.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending