The Student Room Group

Why are train AND coach prices so expensive now?

I need to go to uni this week and the cost of a SINGLE train ticket is £100 and £120 for a return.
So, I try to get a national express or Megabus or flix bus and its adding up to £76 for a return when it should be £30.
Reply 1
100 or 120?? Whereabouts are you travelling to and from. Also are you using a railcard? That price is absurd for a train ticket journey. I think even travelling to Edinburgh from London would be cheaper with a railcard of course.
Reply 2
Original post by Confusionn
I need to go to uni this week and the cost of a SINGLE train ticket is £100 and £120 for a return.
So, I try to get a national express or Megabus or flix bus and its adding up to £76 for a return when it should be £30.

Train prices are always pretty expensive even with a railcard, but for coach/ bus travel it depends when you book the ticket. If you leave it to the last minute it always costs more. I’ve just checked one of my regular trips on National Express. If I want to book a single ticket for tomorrow it will cost me 30% more than if I leave at the same time on the same day of the week but in a month. Planning ahead is essential if you want to save money.
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest