The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

The Leicester University chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi Guys,
I'm currently in first year at Leicester uni and I recently found an amazing three bedroom house on London road ( less than 5 mins walk from uni and directly adjacent to university road) that I immediately fell in love with and signed a contract for it with two of my friends.

Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances I will be unable to live in a house next year and am wondering if anyone is looking for a house for next year.

The rent is 62 pounds a week, and I have already paid the deposit so you don't have to worry about that .

The room is very big, and the house is in excellent condition. It is under 'Abode' agency, which is run by the student union so you know you'll be safe and any issues/problems will be taken care of by the students union.

And I can guarantee that you will be sharing with two wonderful people ( not just because they are my friends )

Please contact me asap if you are interested or would like more information.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Hello! I'm in a lovely 4 bedroom house in Clarendon Park at the moment and it's up on abode, but we've not had one viewing yet. It's one of the nicest student houses you'll come across, but it is pricey because of that, at £68 a week. But it's worth it! PM me if you're interested :smile:
Reply 662
Original post by Redpanda91
Hello! I'm in a lovely 4 bedroom house in Clarendon Park at the moment and it's up on abode, but we've not had one viewing yet. It's one of the nicest student houses you'll come across, but it is pricey because of that, at £68 a week. But it's worth it! PM me if you're interested :smile:

Is 68 a week expensive??
Original post by grape:)

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];29597355]Is 68 a week expensive??

yes! I was paying 45 (no bills) last year (although it was a tiny room)
Is 68 a week expensive??

It is, but I just live off student finance and get no money from elsewhere and I manage (just about). Our rent without bills and food works out at about the same as a catered halls room, you just end up paying bills and food seperately. So I'm not finding it too expensive, it's fine :smile:
£70+ a week is what I'd call 'expensive'.
Reply 666
Original post by Redpanda91
It is, but I just live off student finance and get no money from elsewhere and I manage (just about). Our rent without bills and food works out at about the same as a catered halls room, you just end up paying bills and food seperately. So I'm not finding it too expensive, it's fine :smile:

Original post by concubine
£70+ a week is what I'd call 'expensive'.

Original post by museobsessed

Thanks for your replies guys! I was looking at getting my own studio flat to rent, but now that I've seen this I'm a bit more tempted to do otherwise...
Reply 667
Hi, *waves* I'm wanting to go to Leicester to do maths, and have a few questions about Accomodation, if that's okay... ^^'

- Does it matter which hall of residence you go to, or would people be happy anywhere they go?
- What's the catered food like? I'm still on the fence as to whether I should go catered or self-catered.
- Anything essential I should know about the different halls before I go stalk the accomodation application page?
Original post by Castaras

Original post by Castaras
Hi, *waves* I'm wanting to go to Leicester to do maths, and have a few questions about Accomodation, if that's okay... ^^'

- Does it matter which hall of residence you go to, or would people be happy anywhere they go?
- What's the catered food like? I'm still on the fence as to whether I should go catered or self-catered.
- Anything essential I should know about the different halls before I go stalk the accomodation application page?

answer 1: I don't think anyone will know, as nobody goes to every hall, I think it depends on who you are more than where you're put. That being said, I think definitely try and go to oadby rather than the city centre halls, as the city centre is mostly internationals and non freshers who need to actually work hard
answer 2: If you're fussy about food and like to eat at your own times (4am etc) then go self catered
If you're generally not too fussy and don't mind average quality food and like the convenience of not having to cook your own food and generally eat at set times of the morning and evening then go catered. I went catered, the food isn't anything to write home about but its not actively rubbish. Theres always a small kitchen you can use even if you're catered
Reply 669

Sorry, our conversation just occurred to me again while looking at accommodation. So... do you mean that you had to pay bills on top of that 45, or that there were 'no bills'? Thanks :smile:

[QUOTE=grape[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];29814881]Sorry, our conversation just occurred to me again while looking at accommodation. So... do you mean that you had to pay bills on top of that 45, or that there were 'no bills'? Thanks :smile:

I had to pay bills on top of that, but my housemate who dealt with it just put on a tenner a month to everyone in the house as a kitty for paying bills out of
Reply 671
I had to pay bills on top of that, but my housemate who dealt with it just put on a tenner a month to everyone in the house as a kitty for paying bills out of

Cheers :smile:
Hey, i firm'd for computer science starting 2011 :biggrin:
I have applied for accommodation but i put Catered as my first choice, hopefully its not something i will regret!
Reply 673
Hey guys, I have firmed my offer for Spanish and English :biggrin:

to any students that have done similar subjects; is it possible for me to take up another language alongside my degree? I know that modern language students can study more than one language, but as my BA consists of English too I was wondering whether it would still be possible for me to take up another language? Any help would be very much appreciated :smile:
Original post by sofia26

Original post by sofia26

to any students that have done similar subjects; is it possible for me to take up another language alongside my degree? I know that modern language students can study more than one language, but as my BA consists of English too I was wondering whether it would still be possible for me to take up another language? Any help would be very much appreciated :smile:

theres always languages at leicester, evening classes for learning other languages. google it :biggrin:
Original post by sofia26

Hey, I'm in my 2nd year doing Italian and Spanish :smile: I know quite a few people who do Spanish and English, but as far as I know you can't do two languages and English. You can do two with management and business and stuff but not English. But yeah, languages at Leicester would be a good place to try, if you do a language at Leicester already as part of your degree you get a discount, it's only something like £60 a term which isn't really bad at all when you think about it :smile:
Reply 676
Really can't wait to go in October :smile:
Reply 677
It'll be really weird not being there anymore after July. I've spent half a decade in the city and I've become quite attatched to the city.
Original post by QwentyJ

Original post by QwentyJ
It'll be really weird not being there anymore after July. I've spent half a decade in the city and I've become quite attatched to the city.

You have no idea how much I miss it! I can't believe i've been gone 10 months already :frown:
I heard Athens trip was good fun btw. hows the dissertation prep going?
Reply 679

You have no idea how much I miss it! I can't believe i've been gone 10 months already :frown:
I heard Athens trip was good fun btw. hows the dissertation prep going?

I think I'll end up having regular get togethers up there tbh. It's a handy meeting place as it's slap bang in the middle of the country.

Yeah, it was quite good fun but then you have to take into account Carla's sexual molestation of anything with a penis and Tess' constant cynicism. I'm sure they've had a lot to say about my map directions but whatever they say, the salient point is that I got them there in the end!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending