The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alex-jc123
Well, the fact you disagree shows that approaches to the theory of evolution are just as divided and varied as Christian approaches to God and Scripture.

Well, clearly. That's part of the whole point - that believing in evolution can be from an atheistic, theistic, or any other perspective.

Perhaps you refuse to answer because you refuse to believe that life is primarily a rigid test of faith?

Perhaps... but no.
Answer what, btw?

...you refuse to believe that life is primarily a rigid test of faith?

Well... yeah. To say that life is a test reduces it to some kind of sick game, and I don't think life is a game, however sick it is :nopity:
Original post by slawaccess23

Exactly, it's a bit like a vegetarian who believes that eating meat is downright immoral, and yet they regularly eat meat. If one is a true vegetarian, they will abstain from meat because they truly believe in what they stand for and therefore are prepared to act upon it. So for a religion to legislate but then ignore the fact that people don't care about it, it defeats the purpose of the Bible. I meant punishment in the hereafter, not this world.

I know, this is society thread, sorry. It seems a bit active now that's all. :biggrin:

I know, well everyone has their struggles I guess. I cannot judge someone for their mistakes because everyone makes them and everyone comes to faith in their own time. So whilst I think it doesn't make sense for someone to claim true faith yet not act like it, there are a lot of issues for many people. To judge others is not our place, hopefully they find their faith and their duty :smile:

Yea I know, its not problem. :tongue:
right, I'm officially quitting this soc until you've finished bitching at each other.

Goodbye.
Original post by + polarity -
Well... yeah. To say that life is a test reduces it to some kind of sick game, and I don't think life is a game, however sick it is :nopity:

A 'test' is a game in your opinion? I doubt you would consider an A-level exam a 'game' unless it was something stupid like media studies. Jesus Christ showed us the way to salvation which primarily involved frequent and substantial tests of faith; after being baptised, for example, Christ fasted for forty days and nights, and resisted the temptation of Satan.
Reply 2825
Original post by Facticity
I know, well everyone has their struggles I guess. I cannot judge someone for their mistakes because everyone makes them and everyone comes to faith in their own time. So whilst I think it doesn't make sense for someone to claim true faith yet not act like it, there are a lot of issues for many people. To judge others is not our place, hopefully they find their faith and their duty :smile:

Yea I know, its not problem. :tongue:

Good response. Thanks :wink:
Original post by Calumcalum
Well, clearly. That's part of the whole point - that believing in evolution can be from an atheistic, theistic, or any other perspective.

Perhaps... but no.
Answer what, btw?

James 1:3 says this "The testing of your faith develops perseverance so that you may be mature and complete". Life is a test of faith.

Look back a few comments and you'll see I asked you whether you believed in 'Satan, sin and virtue'.
A 'test' is a game in your opinion? I doubt you would consider an A-level exam a 'game' unless it was something stupid like media studies. Jesus Christ showed us the way to salvation which primarily involved frequent and substantial tests of faith; after being baptised, for example, Christ fasted for forty days and nights, and resisted the temptation of Satan.

Yes, A-levels were a game. Memorise and regurgitate to get points. Points mean prizes (uni offers :sexface:)

The way to salvation is through Jesus; there aren't tests attached to it as some sort of condition. Yes there'll still be challenges, but as long as you rely on Him then you can pass through them as if they were nothing. That's not to say that if you don't, you have failed a test. :s-smilie:
James 1:3 says this "The testing of your faith develops perseverance so that you may be mature and complete". Life is a test of faith.

Look back a few comments and you'll see I asked you whether you believed in 'Satan, sin and virtue'.

You posed it as a leading, and what seemed like a rhetorical, question. I was not prepared to fit into your preconceived notions of what a non-zealous-fundamentalist Christian must (or must not) believe.

And that passage doesn't say that life is a test of faith. Not that that's relevant to the conversation; in all honesty, it seems as if you're trying to make absolutely irrelevant points because you've lost control of the actual debate point completely.

Good response. Thanks :wink:

The only kind of response I give :colonhash:

:tongue:
Original post by + polarity -
Yes, A-levels were a game. Memorise and regurgitate to get points. Points mean prizes (uni offers :sexface:)

The way to salvation is through Jesus; there aren't tests attached to it as some sort of condition. Yes there'll still be challenges, but as long as you rely on Him then you can pass through them as if they were nothing. That's not to say that if you don't, you have failed a test. :s-smilie:

Corinthians 13.5: "Examine yourselves to see if your faith is really genuine. Test yourselves. If you cannot tell that Jesus Christ is among you, [ Or in you.] it means you have failed the test"

James 1:3 "For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow"

Peter 1:7 "These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world"

Christ clearly meant for us to endeavour unremittingly in proving our faith and using it as a shield against evil. It is not enough just to believe in Christ; the Bible says you must frequently test this faith to please God and cure your sins.
You posed it as a leading, and what seemed like a rhetorical, question. I was not prepared to fit into your preconceived notions of what a non-zealous-fundamentalist Christian must (or must not) believe.

And that passage doesn't say that life is a test of faith. Not that that's relevant to the conversation; in all honesty, it seems as if you're trying to make absolutely irrelevant points because you've lost control of the actual debate point completely.

Peter 1:7 "These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world" - no test?

Corinthians 13:5 "Examine yourselves to see if your faith is really genuine. Test yourselves"

So, we just automatically assume faith and just leave it at that, yes? Have you even ever fasted?
Peter 1:7 "These trials are only to test your faith, to show that it is strong and pure. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--and your faith is far more precious to God than mere gold. So if your faith remains strong after being tried by fiery trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world" - no test?

Corinthians 13:5 "Examine yourselves to see if your faith is really genuine. Test yourselves"

So, we just automatically assume faith and just leave it at that, yes? Have you even ever fasted?

Again, none of them say that life is a test of faith.

As for the second question, yes. But I don't see how that's relevant.
Again, none of them say that life is a test of faith.

As for the second question, yes. But I don't see how that's relevant.

Fasting is a test of faith. The fact you said 'yes' to my question means you tested your faith. Is not faith in Christ the key to heaven? The New Testament constantly mentions how faith must always be tested. To serve and obey God is the first objective of any Christian in life. Christ showed yet another example of this cruical idea of testing when he told Mary Magdalen to seek out the disciples and tell them of His rise from the dead. Many of the disciples did not believe her, and when Christ showed himself to them, he said: "Blessed is he who believes without seeing". It also shows that you should not necessarily always believe what you see/hear, as illusions exist in the world.

Sorry this doesn't sound scientific, rational and factual enough for you :smile:
I was under the impression that fasting was to help take your mind off your physical circumstances and the desires of the body, to focus on God, while you prayed?

It's not like God gives you extra points because you chose not to eat. :s-smilie:
Just finished reading the last couple of pages and I'm impressed. But, to be honest I think you're wasting your time. He just doesn't seem to be accepting the statements or even tackling any statements you're making and just resolves to posting more verses from the scripture with additional commentary at the end.

Anyway, I often hear some Christians say that they communicate with God, have a personal relationship with him and such. I was wondering what exactly do you mean by this? I realise this is the Christain society but this seems fairly active at the moment and it might move the thread forward from evolution.
Fasting is a test of faith. The fact you said 'yes' to my question means you tested your faith. Is not faith in Christ the key to heaven? The New Testament constantly mentions how faith must always be tested. To serve and obey God is the first objective of any Christian in life. Christ showed yet another example of this cruical idea of testing when he told Mary Magdalen to seek out the disciples and tell them of His rise from the dead. Many of the disciples did not believe her, and when Christ showed himself to them, he said: "Blessed is he who believes without seeing". It also shows that you should not necessarily always believe what you see/hear, as illusions exist in the world.

Sorry this doesn't sound scientific, rational and factual enough for you :smile:

There's nothing wrong with testing faith, and of course it's a good thing. My query was more over whether the aim of life is to be a test of faith.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Just finished reading the last couple of pages and I'm impressed. But, to be honest I think you're wasting your time. He just doesn't seem to be accepting the statements or even tackling any statements you're making and just resolves to posting more verses from the scripture with additional commentary at the end.

Anyway, I often hear some Christians say that they communicate with God, have a personal relationship with him and such. I was wondering what exactly do you mean by this? I realise this is the Christain society but this seems fairly active at the moment and it might move the thread forward from evolution.

Why are you impressed? :s-smilie:

Errm basically I think its in reference to the way in which we interact with God. To have a personal relationship with God is to talk to God, trust in God, believe that God is there. Quite like a father and a friend. I know you could say this is comparable to other religions, however the difference I would argue is the fact that in Christianity this is due to the choice in receiving God out of want to relationship and salvation, rather than want of being spared from a (possible, though I do not think it is literal) hellfire.

When people say they communicate with God in a personal relationship, it is in reference to seeing God not only as God (transcendent and all-powerful) but also as a Father who tends to his sons (in the interests of not being gender ambiguous) and daughters but also as a friend. We see Christ as a friend and as someone who is not just a source of salvation but a source of friendship and relationship. This is in contrast to other religions that simply see God as a distant judge of all humanity, Christianity sees God as an immediate and very personal being.

As it says after the crucifixion, the room in the back of the temple (where only the highest Pharisee were allowed) was shaken and the foundations of the buildings cracked (signifying the break down of the impersonal and old God) and the veil tore (signifying the openness and welcoming of God for anyone and everyone). Christ came to liberate people from a cold and "rules+punishment" faith, he shut down the hierarchical Pharisee and the broke the "follow God in fear of hell" attitude to faith.

That is why generally Christians take the phrase "relationship with God" or "commune with God" as a given in the faith. Also why I think the faith is quite charismatic and evangelical.

This help? :smile:
Original post by spacepirate-James

Original post by spacepirate-James
I had a religious epiphany recently.

And was wondering how one manages to speak to some sort of church-pastor dude to discuss religion in general.

In my head, influenced by TV, I'm thinking confessional box...

...except, I've never been into a church before. :erm:

SPACEEEEEEE =D =D =D

Sooo good to see you here =D

Erm for me if I ever need a big religious discussion with someone knowledgeable I just go to church then at end of service, ask the minister if I could have a chat in private :smile: they are very nice people y'know =D if you need anything in mean time, feel free to pm/formspring me =D

:jumphug:
Reply 2839

The guy's personal extended thoughts on 'Man, in the image of God' are interesting, couched as they are on the 'angled mirror' analogy.

"The dignity of the human person is rooted in his or her creation in the image and likeness of God. Endowed with a spiritual and immortal soul, intelligence and free will, the human person is ordered to God and called in soul and in body to eternal beatitude." Compendium of the CCC - 358

We could all, if we thought about it, expand on the consequences of the above. However, it doesn't detract from the basic explanation is what separates mankind from the rest of God's creation...ensoulment...and the subject of the video (Mr. Wright) makes this clear.

Latest

Trending

Trending