The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SirMasterKey

Original post by SirMasterKey
'Rose' was my first.

Same albeit I have got more into it over the past few years as I've read more of the back story
Ive watched since the first episode of the the new set of series (2005 wasnt it??)

Ive liked a good 80-85% of the episodes, Im not very keen on the classic episodes, but I have watched the odd few which were quite good :P:
Original post by mattyb17
Ive watched since the first episode of the the new set of series (2005 wasnt it??)

Ive liked a good 80-85% of the episodes, Im not very keen on the classic episodes, but I have watched the odd few which were quite good :P:

Thats a shame as much of the classic series was amazing especially doc 1 and 2 since they had little in the terms of special effects they relied on strong dialogue which had some interesting stories(though special effects a toddler would laugh at)

I mean I saw the War Games which is Doc 2's final story, 10 parts(25 minutes per part) so it did drag a bit but was really fun to watch.

Only doc I cant really stand is 6th Doc and most of his stories as hes too pompous, Doc 7 I like but the budget was slashed at that point and it shows but most of his stories were good.
Original post by drbluebox
Thats a shame as much of the classic series was amazing especially doc 1 and 2 since they had little in the terms of special effects they relied on strong dialogue which had some interesting stories(though special effects a toddler would laugh at)

I mean I saw the War Games which is Doc 2's final story, 10 parts(25 minutes per part) so it did drag a bit but was really fun to watch.

Only doc I cant really stand is 6th Doc and most of his stories as hes too pompous, Doc 7 I like but the budget was slashed at that point and it shows but most of his stories were good.

The 7th doc was the last doc of the classic series, right? I like all of the modern doctors (9 because he played the role well, 10 because david is a very good actor and 11 because matt smith's real life persona fits the doctor very well imo).

I also liked tom Baker, although ive only seen a few of his episodes.

I think the reason why I dont watch more classic episodes is because they are old and as you mentioned the special effects were a bit naff, its all down to what ive grown up with, i mean if I was a fan of the original doctor who I probably wouldnt be as keen on the new series; Either way I respect it for the storytelling and the great british institution that it is :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
The 7th doc was the last doc of the classic series, right? I like all of the modern doctors (9 because he played the role well, 10 because david is a very good actor and 11 because matt smith's real life persona fits the doctor very well imo).

I also liked tom Baker, although ive only seen a few of his episodes.

I think the reason why I dont watch more classic episodes is because they are old and as you mentioned the special effects were a bit naff, its all down to what ive grown up with, i mean if I was a fan of the original doctor who I probably wouldnt be as keen on the new series; Either way I respect it for the storytelling and the great british institution that it is :biggrin:

Tom Baker was The Doctor when I was growing up and I was a fan then and I'm a fan of New Who as well. I feel that the program has re-generated in much the same way that The Doctor does and whereas its's still technically the same program it looks, sounds and feels different but that doesn't make wither of them bad just different.

Classic Who would be out of place on todays TV and would fail immediately butthe New Who is fast paced and dynamic which is what is needed.
Original post by Perfect_Gent
Tom Baker was The Doctor when I was growing up and I was a fan then and I'm a fan of New Who as well. I feel that the program has re-generated in much the same way that The Doctor does and whereas its's still technically the same program it looks, sounds and feels different but that doesn't make wither of them bad just different.

Classic Who would be out of place on todays TV and would fail immediately butthe New Who is fast paced and dynamic which is what is needed.

I'm glad too hear that and I agree, I wouldnt be surpriesed if modern Doctor Who has a 50/50 mix of new and old fans.

I do agree about the new style of doctor who being faster paced compared to the old/classic series, it contains the modern day elements which make it appeal to the "new fans" (me being one of them).

The fact that they reffer to the history of the previous doctors, episodes and enemies is great because if they considered Christopher Eclestone as "number 1" then a lot of the older fans (as well as the older fan base) would feel alienated and the fact that they continue the story and history of Doctor Who from where it left makes it so great.

Finally, the one comparison that could be made about the new set of series, compared to the old ones is that the new series relate a lot more to the "drama" genre. But, once again the dramatic storylines are what helps to make the 2005-present DW appeal to the new comers, even though it may alienate some of the original fans.
I'm glad too hear that and I agree, I wouldnt be surpriesed if modern Doctor Who has a 50/50 mix of new and old fans.

I do agree about the new style of doctor who being faster paced compared to the old/classic series, it contains the modern day elements which make it appeal to the "new fans" (me being one of them).

The fact that they reffer to the history of the previous doctors, episodes and enemies is great because if they considered Christopher Eclestone as "number 1" then a lot of the older fans (as well as the older fan base) would feel alienated and the fact that they continue the story and history of Doctor Who from where it left makes it so great.

Finally, the one comparison that could be made about the new set of series, compared to the old ones is that the new series relate a lot more to the "drama" genre. But, once again the dramatic storylines are what helps to make the 2005-present DW appeal to the new comers, even though it may alienate some of the original fans.

The only real part I disagree with here is about the dramatic element, many old Dr Who stories were hugely dramatic its just the style of acting and budget limited the impact.

Considering at times people tried to get it banned, like the scene where a baddie gets his hand crushed by a cyberman, or when a companion is trapped on a spaceship that crashes into Earth and kills all the dinosaurs and the companion of course dies(only time I think the series has had ending credits without music) or events like when a companion was thrown out of the Tardis when it was decompressed air etc.
Slightly related: I recommend the film Frequently Asked Questions about Time Travel to everybody here. Witty and clever.

If you want a more serious time travel film, Timecrimes and Primer are also brilliant.
Ah yes, I remember reading about that a while back and planning to watch it, although I never got around to it XD
It has Chris o'Dowd and Anna Faris.
Just reviving this thread to say that it was my birthday on the 6th, and everyone from work clubbed together to buy me the first series of the 'new' Doctor Who on DVD (with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper). It feels so amazingly awesome to re-watch these old episodes again :biggrin:
Original post by snowyowl
J it was my birthday on the 6th

Somebody say birthday?

Sexy David Tennant!! Woooo. :p:

x
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Somebody say birthday?

It was indeed! Alas, I didn't get a cake like that :frown:

In fact, I didn't even get a cake :sad:...
Bake your own cake :unimpressed:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
Information regarding spoilers: Please use spoiler tags when posting a spoiler such as a leaked image or piece of information about a future episode or twist. Similarly, if you are responding to a spoiler with your own speculation - please use a spoiler tag.

Join society now! :tardis:

Welcome to the "Doctor Who - Speculation and Discussion" thread. This is the thread for all general discussion pertaining to the Who universe - be it past, present or future episodes.

Torchwood discussion takes place in the Torchwood thread. You can also join the Torchwood Society here.

Series 5 episode threads

Episode 1 - The Eleventh Hour
Episode 2 - The Beast Below
Episode 3 - Victory of the Daleks
Episode 4 - The Time of Angels
Episode 5 - Flesh and Stone
Episode 6 - The Vampires of Venice
Episode 7 - Amy's Choice
Episode 8 - The Hungry Earth
Episode 9 - Cold Blood
Episode 10 - Vincent and the Doctor
Episode 11 - The Lodger
Episode 12 - The Pandorica Opens
Episode 13 - The Big Bang
Favourite episode of Series 5

Series 6 episode threads

:unimpressed:

is it a bad time to say that i worked on the sets for season 6 of doctor who for university? although i can't say a damned thing as i signed a contract to keep my trap shut until the series return in easter
Original post by big-boss-91
is it a bad time to say that i worked on the sets for season 6 of doctor who for university? although i can't say a damned thing as i signed a contract to keep my trap shut until the series return in easter

LIES! :fuhrer:

You're worse than DoktaUH and his counting/Rani speculation :colonhash:

:shifty:
We need Severus Snape and his truth-telling potion, Veritaserum. Somebody fetch Severus. :colonhash:

[scroll][/scroll]

Latest