The Student Room Group

Why do people hate Oxbridge students?

In response to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1551945&stat_userid=174176&stat_usergroupid=12&stat_membergroupids=&stat_widgettype=gutter&stat_widgetname=widget_discussions_latest

Don't get me wrong, there are some daddy's boys and girls who get into Oxbridge because they were given a top-notch education which so many other, less well-off students could have benefitted even more from- given half the chance.

But at the same time getting in is still an achievement, isn't it? So is being able to handle the workload and the stress (in my seconf year 35 hours contact time was considered 'normal'.

Why should you tar all Oxbridge students with the same brush? Yes, there are a sigificant number of rahs, but there were also some people like myself, who grew up in a former mining village in County Durham in a single parent family and was eligible for free school meals.

I didn't enjoy Cambridge. I got out the first chance I got. However, all this talk makes me wonder what I suffered through it all for. Why don't I, or the scores of other 'normal' people who went, 'deserve' it? What is so wrong with wanting to make something more of yourself and achieve things in life (not that other students at other top unis aren't)?

All opinions welcome...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most probably just jealously. Not everyone hates Oxbridge students though. I certainly don't! You get nice people and not-so-nice people at every uni.
Reply 2
The thread you link does not support your point... at all....................

If you have any real life experience of being hated by someone because you went to Cambridge, I would hazard a guess that that person was either jealous or thought you were arrogant or snobbish based on media image of Oxbridge.
Reply 3
Lime green Jell-o.
Reply 4
may be they think imsoacademic goes to oxbridge
Reply 5
Just look at any of imsoacademic's posts
Because they are so academic.
Serious answers, working hard in school is kind of 'jewish' if you catch my drift. Not really attractive.
Reply 7
As someone who taught themselves all of their a-levels except German, goes to a state comprehensive, works two jobs to support themselves through their studies and has had no financial help/school help at all with their application, I also detest the 'you have a Cambridge offer, therefore you must be rich and spoilt' attitude!

I realise that a lot of people there are private school pupils and that some of those will have been handed everything on a plate, but it shouldn't undermine one's 'working-class cred' to have worked like hell in a situation that isn't conducive to doing so, and thus to have got into a good university.
I only really dislike the arrogant ones.

Of which I'm sure there aren't many, and I really dislike most arrogant people, so it's not really specific.
Because they're better than us.
Because any that you meet either think that studying at Oxbridge makes them a better person than anyone else.

Or they have no friends...

(Disclaimer: I am aware not all Oxbridge students are like this.)
Reply 11
Well it's not a common thing, certainly not enough people hate it for it to be thread worthy.

People who hate it are most likely jealous and/ or misinformed, thinking it's only for snobs/ private school people etc.
If the place has a lot of people like you in it, why didnt you like it?

Because there were much much more of the dickish sort?
cuz i missed my offer.
I think quite a few stupid people make untrue assumptions about Oxbridge and its students, for example:

- Everybody who goes to Oxbridge has a superiority complex
- Everybody who goes to Oxbridge is a snob
- Oxbridge students look down on people from other universities
- Oxbridge students are boring and spend all their time working and have no social lives
- Oxbridge students only got into Oxbridge because they went to a private school where all their teachers did their coursework for them

Of course, the vast majority of people are reasonable and know that these are silly generalisations and not true, but there are people who will believe it. I imagine envy might play a role in it as well; Oxbridge is so competitive and you have to be so intelligent to get in that some people may feel inferior and this, in turn, may manifest itself as envy and bitterness.

I've met very few people who actually have a problem with Oxbridge students, though.
Reply 15
Original post by Retrodiction
Because they're better than us.

Because some of them think they're better than us.

I have a problem with people who think social status/ education is the most important thing in the world ever, and that if - god forbid - someone gets a B in chemistry or makes a grammatical error then they're a lesser person.

Obviously most people who go to Oxbridge are not like this, but a select few are.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
I'd say that it's probably jealousy, having said that, my cousin went to Cambridge and starts nearly every conversation with "Well, when I was at Cambridge...", it gets very annoying after a while!

I'll happily admit that I'm very jealous of anyone who goes to Oxbridge, I don't hate them, but I certainly wish I had the opportunity that they have.
There are quite a few people in my school who have the potential to at least apply for Oxbridge... but they say they don't want to because it'll be full of upper class snobs with loads of money whereas they'll be broke all the time, and because they think they'll end up lonely because they'll be *different* to the other people there.

I don't think that's the same as "hate", though and, either way, I guess the contempt is towards people who are born into super rich families and are spoon fed everything as opposed to towards Oxbridge students.
Original post by Ilios_Lampros
In response to: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1551945&stat_userid=174176&stat_usergroupid=12&stat_membergroupids=&stat_widgettype=gutter&stat_widgetname=widget_discussions_latest

Don't get me wrong, there are some daddy's boys and girls who get into Oxbridge because they were given a top-notch education which so many other, less well-off students could have benefitted even more from- given half the chance.

But at the same time getting in is still an achievement, isn't it? So is being able to handle the workload and the stress (in my seconf year 35 hours contact time was considered 'normal'.

Why should you tar all Oxbridge students with the same brush? Yes, there are a sigificant number of rahs, but there were also some people like myself, who grew up in a former mining village in County Durham in a single parent family and was eligible for free school meals.

I didn't enjoy Cambridge. I got out the first chance I got. However, all this talk makes me wonder what I suffered through it all for. Why don't I, or the scores of other 'normal' people who went, 'deserve' it? What is so wrong with wanting to make something more of yourself and achieve things in life (not that other students at other top unis aren't)?

All opinions welcome...

It is pure jealousy. I can guarentee that.

Why did you hate cambridge?
It wasn't the people as individuals - just the toxic atmosphere. It was clausterphobic (college ran your life and there was no escape), the cliques, the monotony, the fact I just wasn't experiencing life and the mind games they play there just drive me round the bend (eg. "OMG i've done LITERALLY no work im going to FAIL).

Then again I was never a studenty kind of person. I'm doing a masters at Imperial nowadays and I love the fact I can live with non-student people and that there's a global city right there in front of me with so many work opportunities (despite the fact I have no money and can't enjoy the night-life as I would have hoped). At Cambridge it felt like time stood still.

Latest

Trending

Trending