The Student Room Group

2011 Criminology applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by buzzkiller
thank you for directing me here. have you decided where to study? :smile:

It's going to be Manchester for me :smile:. I'm actually off to their post-offer applicant day tomorrow!
Reply 62
Original post by ellakrystina
It's going to be Manchester for me :smile:. I'm actually off to their post-offer applicant day tomorrow!

whoa. Manchester! i was going to apply there.. but changed my mind at the very last minute :s-smilie:

have fun!
whoa. Manchester! i was going to apply there.. but changed my mind at the very last minute :s-smilie:

have fun!

Ah, silly. Manchester's awesomeee!
Reply 64
Original post by dan-danx
I have applied. with 4 Unconditionals from Sheff Hallam, Leeds met, Nottingham and Liverpool John Moores.

I hope to go into the police force, criminal profiler, criminal analsist, criminal investigator.. something along those lines. :smile:

Hi ya . I will prob chose NTU as my firm. what will be your firm. x
Reply 65
Original post by abisara
Hi ya . I will prob chose NTU as my firm. what will be your firm. x

I've just accepted Leeds Met to study it combined with psychology.:smile:
Reply 66
Hey, i've applied for criminology too, got conditional offers from Lancaster, Sheffield Hallam, Nottingham Trent, and Leeds Met, just waiting on Chester. Not got a clue which I will firm yet haha! STUCK! :smile:
I have received all my replies and got unconditionals from Leicester, UWE, Surrey and Southampton. Now i face the biggest problem so far, in terms of choosing which university to go to. I made my research on the internet and until now i came down to Leicester and UWE. In terms of city life, fees, etc. i decided that UWE clearly overcomes Leicester.
Could any of you tell me which is best for my subject? I recently heard from a student in criminology from the University of Bristol, who told me that soon UWE will merge with the initial University of Bristol. If this happens, i am really looking forward in firming UWE.
I shall wait for you to give me some advices. Thank you.
Original post by counteraction
I have received all my replies and got unconditionals from Leicester, UWE, Surrey and Southampton. Now i face the biggest problem so far, in terms of choosing which university to go to. I made my research on the internet and until now i came down to Leicester and UWE. In terms of city life, fees, etc. i decided that UWE clearly overcomes Leicester.
Could any of you tell me which is best for my subject? I recently heard from a student in criminology from the University of Bristol, who told me that soon UWE will merge with the initial University of Bristol. If this happens, i am really looking forward in firming UWE.
I shall wait for you to give me some advices. Thank you.

Leicester was my original favourite as I never expected anything other than a rejection from Manchester, and it is now my insurance. The university is great on a whole: good city, amazing NSS results, 1994 group etc. However, the post-applicant Criminology ucas day I went to was poor, really poor.

This is what I wrote on the Leicester applicants thread:

Did anyone else go to the Criminology talk on Saturday 19th February? I thought it was ****ing disgraceful, absolute crap! The lecturer didn't even know that we were on an applicant day - he thought we were aspiring to be applicants and was telling us what to put in our personal statement for goodness' sake. I'd heard that at the open day! It was a waste of my time!

I went to a Politics day the week before with my friend and her day was so much better! My applicant day put me right off Leicester and I was so disappointed
:confused:

I was really looking forward to the talk as Leicester have a (seemingly self-proclaimed) top Criminology department! The Politics lecturer went through each of the modules and explained them fully so I was expecting the same with Criminology. I hoped that the talk would help me make my mind up between the Leicester and the Manchester courses.

The lecturer seemed to be making statistics up on the spot he said that they receive roughly 1,000 applications per year when their prospectus says that they only receive about 500. He said that the university was 1st in student satisfaction for the past few years when it wasn’t. He also didn’t take his coat off throughout the lecture...

Leicester was my favourite university originally and they've really disappointed me :frown:
Reply 69
OMG now i'm rethinking ALL OVER AGAIN. i was just going to firm Leicester :frown: since its such a good city & the criminology prospectus was pretty convincing.

do you have any idea about criminology in Lancaster?
OMG now i'm rethinking ALL OVER AGAIN. i was just going to firm Leicester :frown: since its such a good city & the criminology prospectus was pretty convincing.

You'll just have to check it out for yourself! Go on an open day to Leicester and talk to the students and staff there. Hopefully they've now got their arses into gear and sorted themselves out!

I don't know anything about Lancaster, sorry.
I'm doing criminology & criminal justice degree

put Bangor as my Firm and Edge Hill as my Insurance

and i plan to go into the police force with my degree :smile:
Reply 72
yeah thats the problem. i'm an international student, so going there is kind of impossible.. thanks anyway for the info. i'll find ways to know more about the degree there :biggrin:
Reply 73

The course at Lancaster is really nice - i liked it a lot (it's my insurance), definately check it out online and i'll write the description thing they sent me below. The only thing i didn't like about Lancaster is how small the town (village :tongue:) is, but the course doesn't have any faults and at the open day i went to, the lecturers were really friendly and the campus is lovely too :biggrin:

Course structure: For the degree in Criminology, students take the core first year course called Crime and Socail Life, plus two other subjects, one of which must be chosen from a Department within the Faculty of the Arts and Social Sciences. In the second and third years students take a total of eight course units; normally six are taken in the Department of Applied Social Science, but for the remaining units you have a wide choice. They can be taken within the Department or in another subject, usually one which you studied in your first year. For a combined degree you will usually take four courses in the Department of Applied Social Science and four in the subject with which you are combining Criminology

Assessment:
Assessment is by a range of coursework and examination

Course descriptions: Our aim is to maximise student choice while ensuring that all students are given the knowledge and skills which are essential for understanding and analysing the subject. After the first year, there are three core courses that all major students must take: Understanding Research, Measuring Crime and Criminological Thought. The first two of these courses focus upon theoretical and practical aspects of doing criminological research. The third provides the basic concepts and theories that underpin much of the teaching of the degree. Students then choose from a range of options including (indicative list): Crime and the Media; Crime, Poverty and Social Security; Criminal Careers; Criminal Investigation; Criminological Perspectives on Violence; Cybercrime; Drugs, Crime and Society; Hate Crime; Human Rights and the State; Historical and Philosophical Aspecs of Punishment; Organised Crime; Police and Policing; Understanding Criminal Justice; Women, Crime and Justice; Youth Justice
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 74
Thank you :smile: for the info. i truly appreciate it. :colondollar: but i think I'm just gonna put Lancaster as my insurance choice :smile: the campus does look nice & i like the collegiate system they're using.

but the fact that it is a little 'village' is a bit (just a bit!) of a turn off. i just want to try something new :tongue:

so I'm firming Leicester..
Reply 75
Original post by Drewzee
Well sociology and criminology
University of York FIRM:biggrin:
Cant wait!!!
Anyone else studying crim+soc at york cus ive seen literally no one!:confused:

I'm not studying at York but im from York! :biggrin: nicest city ever. Im going to study criminology but just want a change of scenery :smile:
Reply 76
Hi,
Can someone help me with my personal statement for criminology?? im applying through UCAS Extra, and have no idea where to start!

Thankyou x
Reply 77
York is brilliant honestly :biggrin: Student attractions... the nightlife is great, 4 main clubs, but loads and loads of nice bars spread out all over the city centre, and pubs, then there's a huge Vodka Revs, and a Yates. Alot of the places do offers mid-week, like thursdays and tuesdays are student nights, best nights to go out by a mile, and they're the cheapest! The river has loads of bars and pubs backed onto it, with beer gardens and terraces, great in the summer! Shopping in the city centre is really good, but there's designer outlet and monks cross shopping park like 5 minutes bus rides from the city centre. It's so historical aswell, even if your not into that stuff its still makes the city look beaut. Ive been round the campus a few times, really nice uni, especially compared to places ive looked round myself. Im hoping to go to sheffield, not too far away, still good old Yorkshire for me. Sorry for the essay, hope this helps :smile:
I've finally chosen my firm choice, and that's Leicester. Since I have all my exams in order, my only worry now is accommodation. Anyone else coming to Leicester? If so, have you applied for accommodation yet? :biggrin:
Reply 79
Anyone going to Hull uni and staying in the Lawns as well?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending