The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, don't really show my face round here much but I'm a BIG NFL fan (Saints).

Anyone else watching the combine? I love seeing those big guys run the 40 and can't wait to see the Qb's tomorrow and see whether Newton can build on this hype, I'm hoping he doesn't because I don't want him going to the panthers and seeing him against our questionable linebackers twice a year.

Who's everyone else looking forward to seeing?
Original post by rugbygreg
Hey guys, don't really show my face round here much but I'm a BIG NFL fan (Saints).

Anyone else watching the combine? I love seeing those big guys run the 40 and can't wait to see the Qb's tomorrow and see whether Newton can build on this hype, I'm hoping he doesn't because I don't want him going to the panthers and seeing him against our questionable linebackers twice a year.

Who's everyone else looking forward to seeing?

Firstly, "WHO DAT? WHO DAT? WHO DAT GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS?"

The Seahawks :rofl:

I'm watching bits of it. As a Pats fan I'm interested in the linemen and OLB's. So today is my day really. However Randall Cobb WR from Kentucky and Blaine Gabbert QB Mizzou are of interest to me.

And top your other point, even if the Panthers get Newton and he plays amazingly well, the Panthers still wont be good enough to beat the Saints. However I predict your division will be the closest this year, if not the NFC EAST (again).
Original post by S129439
Firstly, "WHO DAT? WHO DAT? WHO DAT GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS?"

The Seahawks :rofl:

I'm watching bits of it. As a Pats fan I'm interested in the linemen and OLB's. So today is my day really. However Randall Cobb WR from Kentucky and Blaine Gabbert QB Mizzou are of interest to me.

And top your other point, even if the Panthers get Newton and he plays amazingly well, the Panthers still wont be good enough to beat the Saints. However I predict your division will be the closest this year, if not the NFC EAST (again).

Aha, the Seahawks game has magically disappeared out of my memory :wink:

Yeah the NFC South is going to be tight but I see the Bucs having a poorer year than last with teams now knowing about Blount and Freeman and being better prepared.
We too are looking at the OLB's but obivously ones fitting our 4-3 rather than your 3-4, personally I think you'll get Akeem Ayers who looks like a nice prospect but you'll probably end up doing some strange antics with bill belichick.

I want to see the d line man too, especially the likes of Kerrigan and Wilkerson, that's were we really need to improve.
Original post by rugbygreg
Aha, the Seahawks game has magically disappeared out of my memory :wink:

Yeah the NFC South is going to be tight but I see the Bucs having a poorer year than last with teams now knowing about Blount and Freeman and being better prepared.
We too are looking at the OLB's but obivously ones fitting our 4-3 rather than your 3-4, personally I think you'll get Akeem Ayers who looks like a nice prospect but you'll probably end up doing some strange antics with bill belichick.

I want to see the d line man too, especially the likes of Kerrigan and Wilkerson, that's were we really need to improve.

POOF! It's like magic. Weirdly, the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I'm pretty sure Superbowl 42 never happened :/ Didn't they cancel it at the last minute because the Giants gave up or something :L

It's weird, the Bucs had a great season and will improve overall next year. But your right in that the Saints and Falcons will dominate it to such a point that they still won't make the play-offs. That's where the play-off system needs fixing. I mean come on, in fairness you shouldn't have even played he Seahawks. Sure they got a win, but they didn't deserve to be there.

I would say that the OLB and DE class is top notch this year. Plenty of 3-4 OLB's and DE conversion prospects as well as some top quality 4-3 ends! Both Pats and Saints have chosen the right time to fill a need. I think the saints will take a DT or DE personally. Perhaps Corey Liuget, Adrian Clayborn or even Cameron Heyward.

As for the Pats i think our likely players will be Adrian Clayborn, Muhammad Wilkerson or even J.J. Watt if he falls to no. 17. Your right though, I doubt we will keep no 17, no 28 AND no 33. One of them will go in a trade be it up or down. Heck Bill might even trade all our picks for every first rounder next year haha! I wouldn't complain.
Original post by S129439
POOF! It's like magic. Weirdly, the same thing happened to me a few years ago. I'm pretty sure Superbowl 42 never happened :/ Didn't they cancel it at the last minute because the Giants gave up or something :L

It's weird, the Bucs had a great season and will improve overall next year. But your right in that the Saints and Falcons will dominate it to such a point that they still won't make the play-offs. That's where the play-off system needs fixing. I mean come on, in fairness you shouldn't have even played he Seahawks. Sure they got a win, but they didn't deserve to be there.

I would say that the OLB and DE class is top notch this year. Plenty of 3-4 OLB's and DE conversion prospects as well as some top quality 4-3 ends! Both Pats and Saints have chosen the right time to fill a need. I think the saints will take a DT or DE personally. Perhaps Corey Liuget, Adrian Clayborn or even Cameron Heyward.

As for the Pats i think our likely players will be Adrian Clayborn, Muhammad Wilkerson or even J.J. Watt if he falls to no. 17. Your right though, I doubt we will keep no 17, no 28 AND no 33. One of them will go in a trade be it up or down. Heck Bill might even trade all our picks for every first rounder next year haha! I wouldn't complain.

Yeah there's no way you keep those 3 picks in the top 33 selections. Personally I hope we go DT. If you at what Sed Ellis did last season I seriously believe he can become a top 5 DT if the league this season with the right support, I personally want someone like Wilkerson to plug in next to him. There's talk that we'll take Paea but his injury combined with lack of size (6,1 and only just 300 pounds) worries me. Although I can't see us trading down were about as unpredicatble as the Pats, no way did I see Patrick Robinson coming last year.

I'm just hoping we can sign Shaun Rogers and then free the pick up for the best player available (within reason) so if Ingram did drop we take him or sign someone like Torrey Smith / Titus Young to stretch the field and get rid of Devery Henderson.
Reply 945
Going to the driving range in 10 minutes so will miss some more QB/WO runs, will catch up with them tonight though.

Are the times on the site done in PT/CT/ET?
Original post by RNBen
Going to the driving range in 10 minutes so will miss some more QB/WO runs, will catch up with them tonight though.

Are the times on the site done in PT/CT/ET?

ET

Cam Newton and Locker are in different groups though
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 947
Original post by Tokyoround
ET

Cheers, noticed when it said Round 5. Ah well. Was hoping for PT or even CT to give me an extra hour.

Will be back in time for some QB/WO workouts, probably the jump and shuttles.
Watched a bit of the Combine, the commentary's just so dull though. There's really nothing to say about most of the stats, so they keep repeating "Yeah, that was pretty good, about what we expected".

I'm hoping the Browns can pick up AJ Green in the draft. Its likely he'll be gone before our pick at 6th, but if he's not I think we have to take him. We have a huge number of what-ifs whatever happens:- can Hillis put up the numbers when the other team's expecting him, can Cribbs pull out a few more show-stopping plays, can our D bring their Pats/Saints performance to every game, and most importantly Is He The Real McCoy?But a star deep threat like Green will give McCoy a chance to really show what he can do, he's got the potential but was stuck handing it off to Hillis for every gain last season. If Green's gone we have to choose between Julio Jones or shoring up our defense, but if Green's still around it should be a no-brainer to take him.

This is our season though. We're playing the laughable NFC West so that should be a few easy games in the bag, we just need the Steelers or Ravens to have injury troubles to open up the Wildcard slot for us.
Reply 949
Original post by Blaah Blaah
Watched a bit of the Combine, the commentary's just so dull though. There's really nothing to say about most of the stats, so they keep repeating "Yeah, that was pretty good, about what we expected".

I'm hoping the Browns can pick up AJ Green in the draft. Its likely he'll be gone before our pick at 6th, but if he's not I think we have to take him. We have a huge number of what-ifs whatever happens:- can Hillis put up the numbers when the other team's expecting him, can Cribbs pull out a few more show-stopping plays, can our D bring their Pats/Saints performance to every game, and most importantly Is He The Real McCoy?But a star deep threat like Green will give McCoy a chance to really show what he can do, he's got the potential but was stuck handing it off to Hillis for every gain last season. If Green's gone we have to choose between Julio Jones or shoring up our defense, but if Green's still around it should be a no-brainer to take him.

This is our season though. We're playing the laughable NFC West so that should be a few easy games in the bag, we just need the Steelers or Ravens to have injury troubles to open up the Wildcard slot for us.

Agree completely about the commentary, though I just have it on in the background while watching other things - league cup final for example.
Reply 950
Where do you guys watch it? Online or on TV? :beard:
Reply 951
Original post by Mithra
Where do you guys watch it? Online or on TV? :beard:

Online, nfl site streams it live. :smile:
Reply 952
Original post by RNBen
Online, nfl site streams it live. :smile:

Awesome, saw that link but just assumed they would want payment :p:.
Original post by Mithra
Awesome, saw that link but just assumed they would want payment :p:.

there's a tonne of streaming sites. i use this one: http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=americanfootball

a bit choppy sometimes, and I'm sure the other guys here can give you a better one. But I'm fine with it.
Reply 954
Original post by S129439
there's a tonne of streaming sites. i use this one: http://myp2p.eu/competition.php?competitionid=&part=sports&discipline=americanfootball

a bit choppy sometimes, and I'm sure the other guys here can give you a better one. But I'm fine with it.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/live?icampaign=HP_Combine_trafficdriver << You don't pay for it, it streams worldwide.
"It is fitting for a guy from Hawaii to run a 5.0..." Not guna lie, I lol'd pretty hard.
"It is fitting for a guy from Hawaii to run a 5.0..." Not guna lie, I lol'd pretty hard.

oh dear.

who are you a fan of again? might have missed your first comment.
Original post by S129439
oh dear.

who are you a fan of again? might have missed your first comment.

USC baby. Only decent WR we have in this is Ronald Johnson.
USC baby. Only decent WR we have in this is Ronald Johnson.

Sound!

I like the Oregon ducks because they are called the ducks which is the same name is my favorite ice hockey team :L also their uniform is cool!

i like michigan wolverines and boston college too because of the Brady - boston connection.

USC are coooooooooooooool
Original post by S129439
Sound!

I like the Oregon ducks because they are called the ducks which is the same name is my favorite ice hockey team :L also their uniform is cool!

i like michigan wolverines and boston college too because of the Brady - boston connection.

USC are coooooooooooooool

Yeah USC are a great team with lots of history, shame about all the NCAA sanctions and stuff though. I support them as my aunt actually spent a year studying there and bought me a USC Trojans hoody when I was like 8 years old and didn't even know what the hell football was!

Latest