The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit 4 - Crime and Deviance and Research Methods Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teaandcoffee
I think most people get their result tomorrow. Well done though. Ah Im nervous :frown:

Yeah we were supposed to but the teachers got them today and so told us, so much for our fancy results day planned tomorrow!

Good luck :smile:
Original post by danielsmith
Yeah we were supposed to but the teachers got them today and so told us, so much for our fancy results day planned tomorrow!

Good luck :smile:

How did most of your class do??

I hope I've done okay!
How did most of your class do??

I hope I've done okay!

I was the only one who sat the exam. Sure you'll be reet :smile:
I said this to the sociology teacher at my school and she said its a rumour?

This spec is changing next year - the crime and deviance section will be worth more marks (2 big essays) and there will just be one 15 marker for methods in context.

21+21+15+33 = 90 marks

Doesnt affect those sitting the June 2011 paper though.
Good luck to everyone getting results tomorrow
Reply 264
Just wanted to say - for results day tomorrow everyone! :smile:
Original post by Vicki-Marie
This spec is changing next year - the crime and deviance section will be worth more marks (2 big essays) and there will just be one 15 marker for methods in context.

21+21+15+33 = 90 marks

Doesnt affect those sitting the June 2011 paper though.
Good luck to everyone getting results tomorrow

This is what I told the sociology teacher at my school but she still thinks its a rumour? Or she's in denial :wink: I think its good that they're changing it :smile:
So they're basically getting rid of the smaller questions and adding the marks onto the essays
Got an A (90%) very happy!!! :smile:
I got a B in this exam, I was 2 UMS off an A though :wink: I got an A overall in sociology, I am very very pleased :biggrin:
I got 116/120, 96% :biggrin:
I got a U!!!! :frown: Only three people in our class passed; A, B and C, the rest got D's,E's and U's.

Why are all you's doing really well in Sociology? What are you's studying from? Method of studying? I'm really in a bad place right now, this could f-up my University choice :frown:
I got 120/120 :biggrin: !

I use the A2 Sociology textbook by Webb,Westergaard,Trobe and Steel.
It includes everything that you need to know for the AQA specification, I'd recommend using that. :smile:
Original post by weeping*angel
I got 120/120 :biggrin: !

I use the A2 Sociology textbook by Webb,Westergaard,Trobe and Steel.
It includes everything that you need to know for the AQA specification, I'd recommend using that. :smile:

Where would I get that? I also have to study for the Media Unit 3 Sociology exam in June, it's only new so I don't know where I could get help on it? Really panicing here about Sociology ruining my hopes of University...
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
Where would I get that? I also have to study for the Media Unit 3 Sociology exam in June, it's only new so I don't know where I could get help on it? Really panicing here about Sociology ruining my hopes of University...

You could purchase one off Amazon, for £20.38. :smile: :wink:
However, it only includes Crime and Deviance, Methods and Theory, and Beliefs in Society. Not Media..
Reply 274
I got an A!! 114/120 :biggrin: VERY proud of myself considering I was expecting a D! Congrats to everyone! :smile:
Reply 275
i also got full marks soooooo happy :biggrin: 3 people in our class got full marks!
Reply 276
I got 104/120 - does that mean I just scraped an A? I don't really understand the grade boundaries for this.
Original post by Jade2009
I got 104/120 - does that mean I just scraped an A? I don't really understand the grade boundaries for this.

96/120 is an A , so you have an A :smile: well done
Reply 278
96/120 is an A , so you have an A :smile: well done

Oh ok! Thanks :smile:
Original post by Irishmonkey1992
I got a U!!!! :frown: Only three people in our class passed; A, B and C, the rest got D's,E's and U's.

Why are all you's doing really well in Sociology? What are you's studying from? Method of studying? I'm really in a bad place right now, this could f-up my University choice :frown:

I don't understand how you could not learn without the A2 Sociology textbook by Webb, Westergaard, Trobe and Steel?!

Resit the exam in the summer, if you want an A get the A2 book and learn the Crime and Deviance section, the Methods and the Theories back to front so that you can recall anything- don't let anything be a grey area.
Once you've done that read the relevant sections in the Haralambos and Holborne textbook; it's great for a deeper understanding.
Although your teacher might obsess over learning all the sociologists and their theories, as long as you know the names for the the main theories such as subcultural etc you should be OK- I wouldn't personally worry too much about learning the sociologists who just say a line or two.

It might seem a bit daunting at first but once you get into it it's actually quite interesting. Just make notes to back up your revision and use index cards to remember the theories and names.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending