The Student Room Group

Females in Medicine: A Waste of Money.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Horsedobbin
How would you feel if you went to see your GP about an illness and halfway through the consultation she started breast feeding her baby?
Wouldn't you expect her to give her patient her full attention?
Or do you expect her to do both at the same time?

Why on earth would a Doctor do that?

Have you not heard of breast pumps?
Original post by Jack McGill
Why on earth would a Doctor do that?

Have you not heard of breast pumps?

If she is a busy doctor with a long day to get through and no child care in place(eg child minder ill with swine flu and male partner run off with another woman) she would nave no choice except to bring her baby to work, as we have seen happen on soaps such as Casualty, which are very true to life. OR what else could she do? She couldn't just leave her baby at home on its own and couldn't leave it with a child minder who wasn't there because she had swine flu.
If the baby was in the surgery in its cot and started crying for food, she could hardly ignore it , could she?
I hope one day your ass will be saved by a female doctor and you realise what a tit you were.
Original post by Jordenfruitbat
Have you ever heard of a breast pump? :rolleyes:

Women have just as much of a right to work as men do, just because they are the more maternal ones doesn't mean they have to stay at home.... My dad brought me and my brothers and sisters up and got custody of us all when he divorced my mum, it doesn't always have to be the mother at home.

No I haven't heard of it. It sounds unnatural and weird to me.
I think a baby would prefer to be fed in the normal way, not from some kind of strange pumping device.
It is not entry of women to medicine that needs to change, as despite your 'statistics' there is jack **** saying that a female cannot be an OUTSTANDING doctor, and limiting their entry to the profession is sexist, wrong, inhibits opportunities for those who deserve them and could prevent potentially brilliant doctors from being trained.

The profession needs to change to accomodate the fact that *suprise*suprise* women have children!

I'm sorry, shall we just quit continuing the race? I'm sick and tired of women being discriminated against because they have children. It's not like women get a choice of whether her or her husband is going to carry it and breast feed is it!?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by fantasystar38
I hope one day your ass will be saved by a female doctor and you realise what a tit you were.

That's exactly my point: the mammary gland you refer to isn't possessed by persons of the male gender.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 106
People keep using this phrase..."right to practice medicine" - but is that really a good phrase to use? I mean...does anyone have a 'right to practice medicine' - in essence a patient has a right to medical care and society has a duty to find intelligent, dedicated and capable individuals to treat that patient. That means that if you have these qualities, you have a chance of being selected to be a doctor, but I don't think anyone has 'right'. I certainly dont think that giving people from different backgrounds, races, socio-economic groups and genders an equal opportunity should be given priority over what is best for the patient when it comes to medicine. Whether or not females represent a group of people that are, indeed, best for the patient is an argument that is not easy to resolve. I support what many people in this thread have said, try and keep females in rather than not letting them in.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 107
Original post by JayTeeKay
Hmm. 70+ neg rep for the OP.

Of course, if it was a girl commenting on how men are statistically worse drivers than females, I'm guessing it wouldn't be quite so high.

But quality of driving is different to service to medicine as a career. There are tens of thousands who yearn to become doctors, and are willing to go into medicine for the long haul. But even if they are very suitable doctors, they miss out on a place for a woman who, according to statistics so no sexism involved here, are more likely to leave medicine long before 10 years after medical school have passed. Driving is something you can learn in a year or two tops, and really you can learn by yourself or with a member of family, ignoring the fact of illegality.
Reply 108
Original post by Jabbo12
But quality of driving is different to service to medicine as a career. There are tens of thousands who yearn to become doctors, and are willing to go into medicine for the long haul. But even if they are very suitable doctors, they miss out on a place for a woman who, according to statistics so no sexism involved here, are more likely to leave medicine long before 10 years after medical school have passed. Driving is something you can learn in a year or two tops, and really you can learn by yourself or with a member of family, ignoring the fact of illegality.

i think you two are on each other's side lol
Reply 109
Original post by Jabbo12

Original post by Jabbo12
You shouldn't need to be CONVINCED to stay in medicine. If you work hard to get into medicine, and you quit, the money was not worth it. It is not the Universities fault. If the people, especially females, think that they wull not work till the retirement age to look after their kids, then the medical school place can be given to a male/female who will definitely work till retirement. What's the point of spending your whole life working so hard to get into medical school and train as a doctor if you're just going to quit after 4 years??!!

People don't act independently of their environment. They are influenced by it. I don't see why you're against changing the environment so that more people stay in medicine. That seems a far better option than recruiting doctors with worse medical skills (who just happen, because of their environment, to be more inclined to work for longer).
You fruitcake when did I say it doesn't occur, go get a life away from TSR no point even trying to have an opinion with muppets like you on here, sit behind your screen and realise your a complete ****, and from what replies your getting on this thread a lot of people will feel the same way.
Reply 111
Original post by Kolya
People don't act independently of their environment. They are influenced by it. I don't see why you're against changing the environment so that more people stay in medicine. That seems a far better option than recruiting doctors with worse medical skills (who just happen, because of their environment, to be more inclined to work for longer).

It's not about skills though. There are people who are brilliant for medicine but don't get a place because girls are favoured; they will not challenge any of the female doctors and are pleasant to have around by the male doctors. So where do we men go?
Reply 112
by the way in my school a female teacher got maternity leave two years ago and she hasn't been back since. She left.
You're being sexist.
Original post by Jabbo12
by the way in my school a female teacher got maternity leave two years ago and she hasn't been back since. She left.

was she on full pay for two years off?
that sort of thing is bad for the deficit.
No, it's not sexist. Women need more flexible hours if they have their own children to look after and washing up etc to get on with so nursing suits them better.

Nurses don't have flexible hours though. Their hours are just as insane (if not worse) than most doctors.

That said the OP makes an interesting point. The issue is you can't apply those stats to an individual because statistics by their very nature tell you nothing about an individual just about the group as a whole that the individual is in. So in relaity there is nothing you can do about higher dropout rates by women.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 116
Whether women realise it or not but all this equality has led them to work twice as hard when compared to the generations before.

Not only do they have to compete with men in the working world but they also have to care for their kids and put their house in order.

Soon their car insurance will be the same as men too.

Owel this is what they wished for 'equality'.
Original post by Jabbo12

Irrelevant. My point is that it's blatant sexism when applied to women, and it's only facts and statistics when it's applied to men, and there's something not right about that.
Reply 118
If she is a busy doctor with a long day to get through and no child care in place(eg child minder ill with swine flu and male partner run off with another woman) she would nave no choice except to bring her baby to work, as we have seen happen on soaps such as Casualty, which are very true to life. OR what else could she do? She couldn't just leave her baby at home on its own and couldn't leave it with a child minder who wasn't there because she had swine flu.
If the baby was in the surgery in its cot and started crying for food, she could hardly ignore it , could she?

How about you abandon this thread and go live in your fantasy world? :colone:

Your posts, particularly this one, reek of ignorance.

Out of sheer curiosity, have you had any insight into a medical career besides your very "true to life" soaps? :rolleyes:
Reply 119

Anybody who still wants to argue with a poster who cites Casualty as evidence for their argument is fighting a loosing battle.

The village called, they need their idiot back!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending