The Student Room Group

Are certificates important for applications?

Hey everyone,
I am a year 12 student, I do maths, FM, chem and bio and want to go into medicine. I know it is competitve so I have taken as many opportunities as I can, one of these being an anatomy course on edX. I have almost completed the course and can pay to get a certificate but I am not sure whether this certificate will be beneficial in the application process or not as I am only year 12 and haven't really seen what universities look for. The certificate would be around £150 so I don't want to preemptively get it if it will not be beneficial. From what I understand, the experience of the course on its own should be enough for talking points on interviews and personal statement; correct me if I am wrong.

Should I buy the certificate or will it be a waste of money?

Thanks in advance
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by ali602214
Hey everyone,
I am a year 12 student, I do maths, FM, chem and bio and want to go into medicine. I know it is competitve so I have taken as many opportunities as I can, one of these being an anatomy course on edX. I have almost completed the course and can pay to get a certificate but I am not sure whether this certificate will be beneficial in the application process or not as I am only year 12 and haven't really seen what universities look for. The certificate would be around £150 so I don't want to preemptively get it if it will not be beneficial. From what I understand, the experience of the course on its own should be enough for talking points on interviews and personal statement; correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance

It would be a waste of money. They will ask you what you learned which they will use to prove that you did the course, I would imagine.
Original post by ali602214
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance

That'd be a monumental waste of money. They won't ask or care for any certificate at all. Still, keep up with your curiosity :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending