The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Why doesn't ucl recognize some of its own foundation courses?

UCL is globally ranked and prestigious University . However if you're planning to gain admission to Medicine or Law, Please don't waste your time or money on this program.
UCL foundation Science Route is a disappointment and waste if you're hoping gaining admission to study medicine in even to lowest tier Medical school in UK.
Previous students were disappointed to know that a distinction in the course doesn't even offer them a chance at interview on the course.
after several years of negative feedback, UCL finally admitted the obvious by adding a disclaimer which stated categorically
" We don’t consider UPCSE applicants who want to apply to UCL’s Medicine MBBS during the UPCSE year....

.." the Undergraduate Preparatory Certificate for Science and Engineering (UPCSE) qualification is not acceptable for entry onto Medicine MBBS at UCL. If you’d like to study Medicine, we recommend two options:

Study A levels before applying for a bachelor’s degree in Medicine

Apply for graduate entry onto Medicine after completing a bachelor’s degree

Why were people enrolling onto it hoping to get into med?

FY usually have very specific and public progression routes.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Because Until recently it was advertised by UCL as a "Medical Admission Route" as UCL and other top Unis. However people who got Distinction stood no chances even after fulfilling the other requirement such at BMAT. I know someone who applied with the UCL foundation certificate with Distinctions at all modules at several medical school and was unsuccessful. Eventually one of the same school which rejected his UCL qualification reassessed him with his A previous levels qualifications (AAB) and admitted him. Some people with good qualification opted for the UCL foundation because of how it was overhyped as a strong qualification for admission to reputable Universities. Thats why they applied

Original post by Anonymous
Because Until recently it was advertised by UCL as a "Medical Admission Route" as UCL and other top Unis. However people who got Distinction stood no chances even after fulfilling the other requirement such at BMAT. I know someone who applied with the UCL foundation certificate with Distinctions at all modules at several medical school and was unsuccessful. Eventually one of the same school which rejected his UCL qualification reassessed him with his A previous levels qualifications (AAB) and admitted him. Some people with good qualification opted for the UCL foundation because of how it was overhyped as a strong qualification for admission to reputable Universities. Thats why they applied

Given how competitive med is, I'm amazed they promoted it as a route into that course. You're likely to get multiple rejections even coming from AL/IB.

They don't have any control over who accepts it externally, although I'm glad the AAB candidate was reassessed.

FY's are by-and-large, a a rubbish option for most candidates and close more doors than they open. We've been advising people this on TSR for years but if UCL have been miss-selling then it should be reported to the OfS.
Reply 4
I'm also glad UCL now admit that the don't recognize their own foundation certificate for admission to Fine Art at UCL. Imagine students whose parents pay £23,500 for this course under false hope

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending