The Student Room Group

Do you agree with military action in Libya (poll included.

Scroll to see replies

They're only doing it to get something out of it at the end.
I think anyway.
Reply 61
Original post by Tut.exe
x

That's why the World's all messed up though, innit.

Why are Libyan citizens more deserving of help than those in Yemen, North Korea, Zimbabwe, Bahrain... etc?

Because it's right on Europe's doorstep, and we aren't going to **** off any other countries by intervening. Understandable, but hardly any consolation to oppressed citizens from the likes of the above countries.

It's double standards, whichever way you look at it.
My question is why Libya?
Similar situations are happening in Bahrain and it looks like Saudi Arabia is going that way.
Does that mean they are going to go into these countries too?
Reply 63
Original post by Loz17
They're only doing it to get something out of it at the end.
I think anyway.

You're likely right. It's not Iraq, but I suspect the west will be using this to their advantage in some way.
Original post by garethDT
The armed rebels are flying the flag of the old monarchy and carrying pictures of the old King Idris so you can cut the democracy crap.

And if you are such a big fan of democracy then you would just have to accept that the majority of Libyans are content with Gadaffi's leadership and as democracy says, the majority is always right.

And the majority of North Koreans are happy with their dictator. Does that immediately mean that they shouldn't even be given the chance to change it? Having the freedom to choose the leader of your country comes hand in hand with being happy with your leader. It's all well and good being happy with your leader, but having the chance to vote to change the leader is more important.
Original post by woods.vanessa
Similar situations are happening in Bahrain and it looks like Saudi Arabia is going that way.

your are bang on target......there are double standards here....wonder what the US and EU will do if and when king Abdullah starts to go beserk when his divine right is challenged
Reply 66

I think I know where you're going with this.....:holmes: :wink:
I despair that this poll is 60% in favour of military action! Will you idiots never ever learn :frown:
Reply 68
Original post by mynameisred
your are bang on target......there are double standards here....wonder what the US and EU will do if and when king Abdullah starts to go beserk when his divine right is challenged

Start calling Saudi rebels 'terrorists'? Watch this space I guess...:rolleyes:
Original post by mynameisred

And it's funny how they're all calling him a 'dictator'.
He didn't become one overnight!
Such hypocrisy it's a joke.
Reply 70
Original post by Retrodiction
And the majority of North Koreans are happy with their dictator. Does that immediately mean that they shouldn't even be given the chance to change it? Having the freedom to choose the leader of your country comes hand in hand with being happy with your leader. It's all well and good being happy with your leader, but having the chance to vote to change the leader is more important.

Changing your dictator every few years is hardly freedom.
Original post by morris743
You're likely right. It's not Iraq, but I suspect the west will be using this to their advantage in some way.

I'm not very knowledgeable on this sort of thing I'll admit, but I really highly doubt the government would put any time or money into this if they wern't getting something back. They say its to help the Libyan people, but really they'll only help if they get something out of it too.

Example: Isn't there a dictator in Zimbabwe? Look at the suffering there. Do you see the West doing anything about it? No. Why? Because I doubt they'll get anything out of it.
Start calling Saudi rebels 'terrorists'? Watch this space I guess...:rolleyes:

Its funny how the lines blur.......ha ha its like shutter island I guess........
Collateral damage WILL occur, and already has. It is impossible to prevent collateral damage when conducting air raids on this scale.

Not true, my point being that there are other ways to resolve the problem without bombing the **** out of a country.
Reply 74
Original post by Loz17
I'm not very knowledgeable on this sort of thing I'll admit, but I really highly doubt the government would put any time or money into this if they wern't getting something back. They say its to help the Libyan people, but really they'll only help if they get something out of it too.

Example: Isn't there a dictator in Zimbabwe? Look at the suffering there. Do you see the West doing anything about it? No. Why? Because I doubt they'll get anything out of it.

Read my previous post. Definitely those countries who are involved would TRY to get something out of this but it's not always a motivation as to why they went to war. The British went to war in the Korean war, and what did they gain from it?

As it is, the government at worst, is just trying to keep British influence active.
Reply 75
:teehee:

Whether you like him or not, and I mostly don't, he has shown leadership on this issue.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 76
Corrected for you.
Reply 77

Libya because it is a civil war with armed pro-democracy revolutionaries against a dictator who has freely admitted that he is going to "punish" all those who stood against him. And the rebels asked for international intervention.

Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are just protests at the moment and even thought they are being violently repressed, they haven't taken control of half the country, they haven't asked for international intervention. The situations are totally different.

Which is something a lot of people on this forum don't seem to understand: All international situations are individual, there is no template action to be taken, each must be examined individually.
Reply 78
All I know is that Libya has the highest Human Development Index than any other African country and an excellent education system for its citizens. Iraq was the same in the Middle East, and also had an excellent health service, until we reduced the country to rubble. The same will happen to Libya, such countries will never achieve democracy as we define it, maybe it works for us but the people over there have different system in place for centuries.

If a person tells me in here that Iraq is better now than it was before our invasion, he/she will be a great liar. Leaders of such countries were and still are puppets, placed there by our governments (the West), they serve their purpose and then we get rid of them once they served their purpose. See Al Qaeda for example, having the USA's backing when fighting the Russians in the 80s, see Saddam having the USA's backing when fighting Iran some decades ago and the list goes on and on......Saddam was oppressing other minorities for decades, why didn't we hear the West complaining about it, simple, because our puppet had not set his eyes on Kuwait's oil all this time. Once he did we invaded to "protect" the human rights of the minorities.

Why did France and the rest of Europe stay out of the USA's invasion in Iraq, because the oil in the region was of interest to USA and UK mainly, so they would not make any profit after spending billions in a war.

Why is France spearheading the war against Libya, because North Africa's oil reserves are of interest to them and they will profit out this war although they will most likely waste billions for the attack.
Original post by Tut.exe
Read my previous post. Definitely those countries who are involved would TRY to get something out of this but it's not always a motivation as to why they went to war. The British went to war in the Korean war, and what did they gain from it?

As it is, the government at worst, is just trying to keep British influence active.

Ah I see.

Regardless though. They're at least saying "Look the Britains care enough to help another country out" and thus keep international relations in tact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending