The Student Room Group

Do you agree with military action in Libya (poll included.

Scroll to see replies

In theory, no. But in practice we don't have a huge amount of choice. In the name of human rights and because the conflict there could ultimately pose a significant threat to us, the West had to really intervene. Alongside that, there's the question of oil. Yes, it's a very selfish way of thinking but at the end of the day, the public would be the first ones to complain if petrol prices skyrocketed overnight. However, it is frustrating that the government can afford to spend so much money on this war, that war and another one but not have enough to effectively fund the NHS, social services and education.
Reply 201
I agree with the war because the libyans are being slaughtered. It is the next holocaust, complete genocide.
I'm a very liberal person, but the fact is, we have to stop this dictator from massacring his own people. If that requires short-term worldwide military action, then so be it. This is not about oil, or colonisation, or anything stupid like that, it's about supporting the Libyan people in their fight for freedom. It's effectively the world vs. Gaddafi, it won't turn into WW3. People need to calm down and realise that we're helping with the situation in the Middle East, not worsening it.
Reply 203

Amr Moussa is only complaining because hes running for presidency and doesn't want to look overly pro-western. The notion that it came as a surprise to him that the mandate goes further than establishing a no-fly zone is laughable. My advice for him if he was genuinely unaware of this is that he should have read the thing he agreed to a little more thoroughly, shouldn't have fallen asleep in the meeting he was invited to and should probably stop moaning now. Also, it should be fairly obvious that to establish a no-fly zone you have to take down the enemies AAA (which has been the focus of the majority of the strikes so far). The truth is they would have been neccessary even if the mandate only called for a no-fly zone.
Reply 204
I hope this gets rid of Gaddafi, i just hope they don't replace him with someone even worse.
Reply 205
Original post by lukas1051
I'm a very liberal person, but the fact is, we have to stop this dictator from massacring his own people. If that requires short-term worldwide military action, then so be it. This is not about oil, or colonisation, or anything stupid like that, it's about supporting the Libyan people in their fight for freedom. It's effectively the world vs. Gaddafi, it won't turn into WW3. People need to calm down and realise that we're helping with the situation in the Middle East, not worsening it.

The world :rolleyes: I haven't seen any Russian or Chinese jets around, have you?
Reply 206
Original post by LornaSandison1
In theory, no. But in practice we don't have a huge amount of choice. In the name of human rights and because the conflict there could ultimately pose a significant threat to us, the West had to really intervene. Alongside that, there's the question of oil. Yes, it's a very selfish way of thinking but at the end of the day, the public would be the first ones to complain if petrol prices skyrocketed overnight. However, it is frustrating that the government can afford to spend so much money on this war, that war and another one but not have enough to effectively fund the NHS, social services and education.

Completely agree with you. But maybe do you think that is why they left it so late to take any action? To see if things would just die down like in Egypt and to resolve any issues themselves?

I mean, the government spent probably millions if not billions of pounds yesterday with all the equipment used as well as labour from the millitary. If that money was put into the education system, then the people starting uni next year wouldn't have to pay 9 grand a year. I honestly think that this war is heavily driven by oil. Libya has some of the rarest oil in the world, and so the most valuable. The libyans could have used the money from it if Gaddafi didn't steal most of it for himself.
Original post by Jabbo12
Completely agree with you. But maybe do you think that is why they left it so late to take any action? To see if things would just die down like in Egypt and to resolve any issues themselves?

I mean, the government spent probably millions if not billions of pounds yesterday with all the equipment used as well as labour from the millitary. If that money was put into the education system, then the people starting uni next year wouldn't have to pay 9 grand a year. I honestly think that this war is heavily driven by oil. Libya has some of the rarest oil in the world, and so the most valuable. The libyans could have used the money from it if Gaddafi didn't steal most of it for himself.

Yes, I agree. I don't think the government especially wanted to go to war but felt that it had no choice for the reasons I mentioned earlier. To an extent, these sort of issues should be left alone to develop naturally but for countries like Libya, where terrorism/military rule could be a potential threat to the West, it's important that we try to stabilise some sort of regime as quickly as possible.

I also agree that it is largely driven by oil and it should be used for the benefit of the Libyan people, which ties in nicely with humanitarian issues - another reason for our intervention. And of course, as with Iraq, the oil is ultimately for our benefit too.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by morris743
The world :rolleyes: I haven't seen any Russian or Chinese jets around, have you?

Not at the moment, but if the situation escalates further, I don't doubt (at least, I hope), that other countries will intervene as well.
Reply 209
Not at the moment, but if the situation escalates further, I don't doubt (at least, I hope), that other countries will intervene as well.

lol yeah, Russia will send a few jets over to the UK.
Reply 210
Original post by goerigi
maybe you were being saracastic but you do the first crusades were the christians against the muslims right?

Yep. Hence why I said what I said. As in Muslims on the side of the Christians
Reply 211
Let's stop the funding of despotic regimes, then at least the West may retain some moral credibility in their actions in Libya.
Original post by morris743
lol yeah, Russia will send a few jets over to the UK.

I didn't say they'd intervene on our side. :wink:
Reply 213
I didn't say they'd intervene on our side. :wink:

lol.

Of course I want Gadaffi out and the Libyan people to have far better lives. I do not believe that is why we are doing what we are, however. And motives like that can lead to more questionable methods.
Reply 214
Absolutely NOT, we're flat out broke and CAN'T afford further military action at all. Let all those filthy rich arab nations use THEIR jets to sort out their peaceful muslim brothers...
I do.
I didn't agree with Iraq, but it's different this time. Gaddafi's a f*cking psycho and he would definitely kill all the young revolutionaries. I hate war and killing, but it's about choosing the lesser evil. I just hope that they leave Libya's oil alone.
Original post by Shadowplay
I do.
I didn't agree with Iraq, but it's different this time. Gaddafi's a f*cking psycho and he would definitely kill all the young revolutionaries. I hate war and killing, but it's about choosing the lesser evil. I just hope that they leave Libya's oil alone.

even i hope that. That would be gud for everybody
no
they are just gonna take over cuz they want oil -_- greddy ppl : (
or mayb this a plot to kill arabs/muslim!
isnt is obvious?
the fighter jets flying over libya killed 76 ppl.. i thought they were supposed to help the libyan ppl -_- not hurt them!!!
Reply 218
I'm really hoping that the Freedom Fighters get their acts together soon and start moving towards Tripoli. If they don't get a move on it'll mean the West have to get more involved and it'll be more likely of another Iraq...

The UN have helped the FF, and will continue to do i hope, but the FF have got to take some responsibility aswell. They've got heavy weapons now, they are ready to make their move, good luck to them.
Original post by mynameisred
Personally i think US Should start with al khalifa of Bahrain. They have their fleet there, what are they waiting for?

any relation to Wiz khalifa there? What uuup, yeah I went there. I know current affairs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending