The Student Room Group

Do you like the area your university is in?

Poll

Do you like the town/city which your university is in?

Do you actually like the area in which your university is in? Myself I can't wait to get out! The town is way too small and I don't get on with many people. Everyone knows everyone, but hey, that's what you get for studying in a small town. The uni is good though and I enjoy my course

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I used to hate it but now I can't imagine being anywhere else :moon:
Original post by jblackmoustache
Do you actually like the area in which your university is in? Myself I can't wait to get out! The town is way too small and I don't get on with many people. Everyone knows everyone, but hey, that's what you get for studying in a small town. The uni is good though and I enjoy my course

Whereeeeee?

I'm not at uni, but area will be quite a big decision factor for me when choosing my firm/insurance :smile:
ish... its grown on me, some lovely parts, some not...

brunel uni, west london
Reply 4
I love Canterbury, though it would be nice if there were a few more shops.
This is something I'm worried about, I loved the look of Stirling uni, but I didn't see the town itself and I'm worried whether it's rough or what...
Reply 6
It's on Regent Street, so yes. :h:
Londan:sexface:
Reply 8
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
This is something I'm worried about, I loved the look of Stirling uni, but I didn't see the town itself and I'm worried whether it's rough or what...

Its not rough at all, yes there is a council estate but compared to the ones near my home its actually upmarket. Stirling is brilliant, lots of bars, good shopping, couple of good clubs and excellent rail links to Edinburgh,Glasgow and all points inbetween. Considering its a similar size to Lancaster (which I considered) its far far better. Lancaster seemed depressing , Stirling didnt. I also hated Durham which seemed claustrophobic and twee. Considering the historical sites around Stirling I have never found it too touristy.
Original post by izzi58
Its not rough at all, yes there is a council estate but compared to the ones near my home its actually upmarket. Stirling is brilliant, lots of bars, good shopping, couple of good clubs and excellent rail links to Edinburgh,Glasgow and all points inbetween. Considering its a similar size to Lancaster (which I considered) its far far better. Lancaster seemed depressing , Stirling didnt. I also hated Durham which seemed claustrophobic and twee. Considering the historical sites around Stirling I have never found it too touristy.

This has reassured me a lot actually, because I heard about crime rates so thought... oh maybe its not too nice, but ti sounds like I would love it :smile:
Reply 10
going to keele, the location is the one thing Im not looking forward to. I don't mind it being all separate and only being near a town because then you get the best of both, but I wish it was near a city
I did like the whole Harry Potter-ness of Oxford but the place was far too small and far too quaint. I feel much more home in New Cross :yep:
I like Plymouth, especially the district I live in, the people are really friendly and because I frequent the same places I see the same people every day, which makes it feel really familiar and me feel more at home.

I know of some areas in Plymouth that are supposed to really 'rough', but I've never been to those places so can't really judge.
I do, but remember I've lived here for years and went to school in the same area - I like it because I know where all the nooks and crannies are.
Not at uni yet but this did influence my decision :yes:
Reply 15
Generally, I love London, there's so much to do and it's impossible to be bored but sometimes it's too daunting for me.
Original post by supernova92
Whereeeeee?

I'm not at uni, but area will be quite a big decision factor for me when choosing my firm/insurance :smile:

Well i'm in Huddersfield studying Music. It's a small northern town near the Pennines. It seems like everyone knows everyone which is annoying cos i'm not used to that. It's a real culture change. Gonna move to Manchester or Leeds for the city life. Manchester and Leeds are where it's at! It's good not to see people you know all the time.

Maybe when I retire I'll move somewhere quiet.
(edited 13 years ago)
I like the city of Lancaster. It is full of wonderful historic buildings, is compact and friendly. There are some wonderful green spaces like the Ashton Memorial and I like the fact campus is surrounded by fields and places to go for rural walks/rural sports. Plus, I can see the sea from my bedroom window and you can jump on a bus straight to Morecambe from campus. :smile:

That said, I like it because I have the contrast with my home city. I prefer the night life in Manchester and the shopping, plus things like the theatre are better there too. Having both places works really well for me. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
Well i'm in Huddersfield studying Music. It's a small northern town near the Pennines. It seems like everyone knows everyone which is annoying cos i'm not used to that. It's a real culture change. Gonna move to Manchester or Leeds for the city life. Manchester and Leeds are where it's at! It's good not to see people you know all the time.

Maybe when I retire I'll move somewhere quiet.

OH okay :smile: Yeah i get what you mean, I would rather not go somehwere so "isolated" / small. Although I'd love to live in a village at some point in my life.
ahhh i'm torn between manchester and leeds too! :tongue:
Reply 19
The problem with smaller places is. You get a reputation. Whether this is good or not you can break it. Then where would you be ? At least in a city there is a lot of people to meet. More chance of meeting friends and seeing people you like !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending