The Student Room Group

Would you do a course that's slightly more fun or one that's slightly more respected

Poll

I <3 PIZZA

/prestigious?

So, say you had two choices; to do a degree that you know you'll enjoy slightly more, or one that's more respected by employers and so on, but doesn't have the same kick to it, just a bit less exciting than the other one. Which would you do?

Reason I'm asking is that I could either do International Business and Management, for which the modules look a bit more exciting and I'll also have the opportunity to learn a language, or Business and Management, no language in this, but harder to get into and generally more prestigious/better respected by employers. So with BAM I could get into finance, accounting, management obviously, and even banking at a push whereas for IBAM it just seems a bit... one directional. (Unless I'm wrong in which case do correct me)

Both of these degrees require AAA at A levels at an above average university.

Which would you do? Or rather, which should I do?
Reply 1
Go for the one which looks more interesting to you, which seems like IBAM. You'd still be able to get into a bunch of different sectors after doing that degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Ecosse_14
Go for the one which looks more interesting to you, which seems like IBAM. You'd still be able to get into a bunch of different sectors after doing that degree.

I do have an open day coming up where I'll ask them that question. Thanks for the quick reply btw.

Poll added.
Reply 3
speaking more then one language opens up alot of doors plus the more you rnjoy the course the better u'll do so id go for first one
Reply 4
In business, being competent in a second language can open many roles - it is easier for a company to teach a bi-linguist how their company runs than for a business graduate to be taught another language.
Reply 5
Original post by lelleston03
speaking more then one language opens up alot of doors plus the more you rnjoy the course the better u'll do so id go for first one

This is why I'm edging towards the former. Only problem is I don't want to see myself becoming a teacher of that language because I couldn't find any decent job. I strongly think teaching is a very frustrating and underpaid profession. If that did happen and my students behaved like we did back in school I'd probably end up throwing them out of a window lol.
Reply 6
Original post by 0906079
This is why I'm edging towards the former. Only problem is I don't want to see myself becoming a teacher of that language because I couldn't find any decent job. I strongly think teaching is a very frustrating and underpaid profession. If that did happen and my students behaved like we did back in school I'd probably end up throwing them out of a window lol.

Don't become a teacher then, no matter what. Simples :tongue:
You'd need to live in a country which speaks the language and things before you would be eligible to teach it anyway.
Or just do BAM which is more respected and self teach yourself an international business language in your spare time :smile: maybe set up a society learning a language thats used in the business world or the university may already have one.

That way you get the better respected qualification and the fact you self taught yourself a language on your CV.

I've self taught myself Bulgarian and currently learning Spanish :smile: Going to learn a bit more Welsh at university though/
(edited 13 years ago)
BAM :smile:
I rejected maths and stats at LSE to do optometry at ARU - what do you reckon my answer to this question is? :wink:
Original post by TheSownRose
I rejected maths and stats at LSE to do optometry at ARU - what do you reckon my answer to this question is? :wink:

Did you miss your LSE offer or have a change of heart? Just curious. I ended up missing my offer first time around and applied for a different course that I'm probably better suited to + going to enjoy more. Some things work out for the best.
Original post by kbountra
Did you miss your LSE offer or have a change of heart? Just curious. I ended up missing my offer first time around and applied for a different course that I'm probably better suited to + going to enjoy more. Some things work out for the best.

Change of heart, although I later found out I would have missed it had I still been holding it - bloody migraine. :rolleyes:

What course did you apply for and what have you now?
Original post by TheSownRose
Change of heart, although I later found out I would have missed it had I still been holding it - bloody migraine. :rolleyes:

What course did you apply for and what have you now?

I was going to do Dentistry at Birmingham.....but now will be starting Biochemistry at Sheffield in October. I only narrowly missed the grades but on reflection realised that a career in dentistry isn't what I'm looking for. Regretfully I was perhaps swayed by the fact that it is highly lucrative whilst not considering that the work is actually quite mundane/repetitive. Biochem is much more interesting+aspirational so hopefully my initial failure will turn into something even better than staring down people's mouths all day :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by kbountra
I was going to do Dentistry at Birmingham.....but now will be starting Biochemistry at Sheffield in October. I only narrowly missed the grades but on reflection realised that a career in dentistry isn't what I'm looking for. Regretfully I was perhaps swayed by the fact that it is highly lucrative whilst not considering that the work is actually quite mundane/repetitive. Biochem is much more interesting+aspirational so hopefully my initial failure will turn into something even better than staring down people's mouths all day :wink:

XD for the past 4 years I was considering Dentistry and almost applied but then realised I actually don't want to look down people's mouths all day and was only interested in it because of the money and the Dr tag pretty much lol. Pulled out in the last and decided to rewrite PS and apply for a Business degree. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good decision. :smile:
I think you should go for IBAM!
Go for the course you think is more fun. Fun, fun, fun. Rather that than to choose the more boring course and just spend your time looking forward to the weekend.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending