The Student Room Group

Cheap meat?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wasted Wrath
Butchers don't have to adhere to strict food standards that supermarkets do, you never know what they're mixing with their meat.

Hence the served by an accredited farm bit
Reply 21
Try cheap cuts - liver, kidney, tongue, oxtail, heart etc. May seem a bit disgusting, but when you taste oxtail stew...
For chicken, I find just buying a large whole chicken is cheaper. I cook it on Sunday for lunch, then use the leftovers in meals throughout the week. I bought a 2kg sainsburys basics chicken for under £5 this weekend and it will last me til Thursday.
I buy chicken in Tesco, the 3 fillet packs 3 for £10 which I think is good value. They don't shrink much when cooked. I would probably buy somewhere/something else if I knew more about what I wanted though. I've never been to the butchers and I wouldn't know what to ask for :frown:
Reply 24
It's usually cheaper to buy a whole chicken and then cut it up yourself.
Reply 25
Chicken breasts are overpriced. Either buy the whole chicken or buy chicken thighs.
If you're not looking for top quality meat, Tesco does seriously cheap chicken.

If you want something a little better, every Co-Op I've been into has a habit of over-buying plenty of stock lines and end up reducing things to rock bottom prices at about 9PM at night. Where I work during the Summer, I go in and pick up crusty bread rolls for 5p each and a pack of sausages for 50p. If you're willing to eat the sausages out of date like me (nothing wrong with them - "Best Before" date), then that's dinner and breakfast sorted!
Original post by DarkWhite

If you want something a little better, every Co-Op I've been into has a habit of over-buying plenty of stock lines and end up reducing things to rock bottom prices at about 9PM at night. Where I work during the Summer, I go in and pick up crusty bread rolls for 5p each and a pack of sausages for 50p. If you're willing to eat the sausages out of date like me (nothing wrong with them - "Best Before" date), then that's dinner and breakfast sorted!

Or even just freeze out of date stuff until needed. My freezer is full of reduced meat and fish.
Original post by DarkWhite

Thanks for that! I'll try Co-op, we've got a big one in town and it always seems to be desserted!
Original post by converselove
Wondering where would be the best place to buy cheap (but good quality) meat? Specifically chicken as it's the main meat I eat. I just think chicken breasts are so expensive for the amount you get! There has to be somewhere that does a reasonable amount of chicken breasts for a decent price? And not full of water like the Asda crap!!!

Go to a butchers. Even if big cities there are some knocking around. I used to buy from Tesco but after finding out the average price for a kilo of chicken breast (good quality) is 4 pounds from a butchers I go there now.
yeah, try supermarkets when they've reduced stuff. no prob with it if youre gonna freeze it.

sorry guys but i dont think i could ever eat offal
No one likes liver, but it can be really really cheap (30p at our butcher sometimes) and if you're really poor...disguise it in meatballs or something or cover it in tomato sauce. Its taste doesn't really override anything else, it's just the horrid texture.
Original post by Eveiebaby
Hence the served by an accredited farm bit

That doesn't change the fact that the butcher is in competition with the supermarkets, their profits will be number one, they've be known to put dyes on outdated food in order to make it look fresh.
Original post by Wasted Wrath
That doesn't change the fact that the butcher is in competition with the supermarkets, their profits will be number one, they've be known to put dyes on outdated food in order to make it look fresh.

Proper farm accredited butchers (not the ****ty dodge ones) do not compete with supermarkets. They sell to a completely different kind of clientele and those customers there are usually willing to pay a premium for better welfare of animals and quality standards. That makes the prices more expensive in comparison to supermarkets. Also the farms have the added benefit of having more control over the end price of the products rather than the supermarkets who dictate more or less the price they will sell for, which forces the profit margin down for those farmers who have to find more efficient (often battery farmed) processes to slash their cost of production.

The supermarket meat farms are often the ones trying desperately to squeeze their profit margins.

Accredited farm stores may expect to sell less units but they focus on quality rather than trying to get out as many chickens/animals as possible.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 34
Think of the animal welfare though. I would rather be a vegetarian than eat battery farmed chicken or pork.
Reply 35
Original post by converselove
Wondering where would be the best place to buy cheap (but good quality) meat? Specifically chicken as it's the main meat I eat. I just think chicken breasts are so expensive for the amount you get! There has to be somewhere that does a reasonable amount of chicken breasts for a decent price? And not full of water like the Asda crap!!!

A butcher. They have a reputation for being expensive, which is not really justified. If you're buying prime sirloin, then it will be more expensive. Chicken tends to be around the same price, and many things are much cheaper.

Also, the meat tends to be great. I'd recommend going for high quality meat, but cheap cuts. So shin of beef, not sirloin. Or chicken thighs, not breasts. Might have to vary your cooking, but htey tend to taste better.
Reply 36
I very rarely buy chicken breasts - I use either turkey (in things like fajitas or pasta, or grilled with a spice rub on), or chicken thighs & drumsticks (which are great in the slow cooker, because the meat just falls off the bone and ends up being really tender).

Quick Reply

Latest