The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine?!

Hey,

I was just wondering as to whether my A levels/GCSEs are a good mix for when I apply to medicine?

GCSEs: Science: AA
Graphics: A
Maths: B
English lit: B
RE: B
Geography: B
French: C
English Language: C ):
Art: D

I screwed up on my GCSEs simply because I didn't revise for a single exam bar science, what a fool I was...

I am currently studying for my As levels, and by the end of the year hope to have got an A in chemistry, biology, geology, and geography.

Next year I am taking Chemistry, Biology, and Geography (Good choices for a medicine application?)

I am soon going to start work experience in a local old folks home, and am planning on joining St John's Ambulance. I am also a fully qualified sailing instructor and teach foreign students during the holidays.

If I did happen to get all A's at the end of my As year how would you consider my application would fare if I applied for medicine?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not an expert on medical applications, but given the insanely high standards that they seem to have (60% of applicants are rejected from all four choices, some medical schools instantly reject you if you don't have 8 A*, and a lot of people get rejected even with straight A* at GCSE) I honestly don't think you're in a great position.
Reply 2
Unfortunately, your GCSEs will limit where you can apply as some med schools ask for specific grades.
Have a look at this table http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements and work on making the rest of your application very strong. If you do choose to apply, make sure you choose your universities wisely.

Good luck. :smile:
Reply 3
Hi yor gcse grades ll affect your chances and so will your a levels as most medicine degress require 3 sciences or 2 sciences and one math with grades AAAB The b in you fourth a level
Reply 4
i spoke to my head of 6th form about this because my gcse grades arent great either, but i have a different reason for that... and she says every conference or uni 'gathering' she's been to, theyve said 5 As at GCSE is the minimum. but if you try really hard and get amazing as grades and then write a cracking personal statement, inc. good bmat/ukcat scores, i dont see why they wouldnt value your application the same as anyone elses.
Reply 5
Original post by ummi1

Original post by ummi1
Hi yor gcse grades ll affect your chances and so will your a levels as most medicine degress require 3 sciences or 2 sciences and one math with grades AAAB The b in you fourth a level

That's not true.
Reply 6
Original post by ummi1

I'm pretty sure my A levels won't affect my chances, most medicine courses dont require 3 science subjects?! just chem, and one other science.. And they don't require a fourth A level?!

Thanks to everyone else that replied, although I've looked at quite a few medicine courses, and a percentage of them say only C or higher in GCSE maths and English (including Cambridge!!) so I presumed that they wouldn't value your GCSEs too highly and instead base it on other things such as your BMAT/UKCAT score?
Reply 7
Original post by ummi1

This is a straight out LIE. You only needs chemistry in most, and lots also demand biology A level. Other than that, world is your oyster.
Reply 8
Original post by navarre
This is a straight out LIE. You only needs chemistry in most, and lots also demand biology A level. Other than that, world is your oyster.

So surely this year if I have 4 grade A's (in As's) including biology and chem, wouldn't that put me in the running?

Obviously I will gain appropriate work experience etc.
Reply 9
Getting a C in English limits you a bit.

Other than that, you're set.
Reply 10
Geology Rocks :awesome: :tongue:

You still got a shot though :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Doctogan
Getting a C in English limits you a bit.

Other than that, you're set.

Yeahhh, and it was so easy ):
I did get a B in english lit, and I believe that is considered to be harder so they might take that into consideration..

Another thing is I have a phobia of wrists (underside of wrists) I really need to get over it if i want to be a doctor xD
Reply 12
Original post by swahmad
Geology Rocks :awesome: :tongue:

You still got a shot though :smile:

-.- I am considering a degree in geology aswell.
Original post by paulbridger
I'm pretty sure my A levels won't affect my chances, most medicine courses dont require 3 science subjects?! just chem, and one other science.. And they don't require a fourth A level?!

Thanks to everyone else that replied, although I've looked at quite a few medicine courses, and a percentage of them say only C or higher in GCSE maths and English (including Cambridge!!) so I presumed that they wouldn't value your GCSEs too highly and instead base it on other things such as your BMAT/UKCAT score?

just because they put 5 GCSEs grades A* to C doesnt mean thats what they actually expect. Many places would expect a good reason for those GCSEs. different places put different values on your GCSEs so you still have a chance but its probably going to be an uphill struggle. Your chances might improve if you apply post A level results though
Reply 14
what i was trying to say is that ive been on imperial ucl and kings and their policy is to do a medicee in uni you have to take three sciences and one other subeject or two sciences one math and one other subject. I have done my reasearch and thats what it says as i want to apply for medicine to so im taking chem bilogy maths and psychology the grades that you have to get is aaab the as in the 3 sciences or the 2sciences and one math and the b in the additional subject that you are taking eveyone who presumes im a liar check their website!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
You dont require the fouth a level but by the end of your as level you need a b in that subject nothing less thats what it says on the website anyway hope everything works out for you good luck!
Original post by ummi1
what i was trying to say is that ive been on imperial ucl and kings and their policy is to do a medicee in uni you have to take three sciences and one other subeject or two sciences one math and one other subject. I have done my reasearch and thats what it says as i want to apply for medicine to so im taking chem bilogy maths and psychology the grades that you have to get is aaab the as in the 3 sciences or the 2sciences and one math and the b in the additional subject that you are taking eveyone who presumes im a liar check their website!

this is not true. im pretty sure ucl state that they favour those applicants who have a contrasting third subject, i.e. a non science one :smile:

*edit* lookee here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf

"Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level. In this context a
contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For
example: English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies, Design and Technology, a foreign
language etc."

:smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by periwinkle304
this is not true. im pretty sure ucl state that they favour those applicants who have a contrasting third subject, i.e. a non science one :smile:

*edit* lookee here http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf

"Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level. In this context a
contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. For
example: English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies, Design and Technology, a foreign
language etc."

:smile:

So Biology, chem, and geography would be perfect? for ucl anyway.
Original post by paulbridger
So Biology, chem, and geography would be perfect? for ucl anyway.

i reckon so :smile:
The rest of your application is going to have to be absolutely spectacular to mitigate those GCSEs, and you will have to apply very carefully indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending