The Student Room Group

why is human life so cheap in modern britain?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ShadowConspiracy
With DNA evidence which is constantly getting better, the chances of being 'wrongly' convicted is next till nill

Please see the previous guy's post about DNA evidence.
There is not always DNA evidence available in a crime, in fact it's quite rare that there's sufficient DNA evidence that proves beyond a doubt that they are guilty.
Original post by Native British Guy
Are you thick ? My slur was not against disabled people or Muslims. It was a satirical comment about liberals.

Please use that round thing on top of your neck to THINK. If you are incapable of understanding what I meant by that statment then please don't go to university your £9,000 will be better spent on you starting your own beautician business

I feel sorry for minority groups who have to suffer idiots like you being offended on their behalf

You are a horrible little boy aren't you?

You can make stupid generalizations about Liberals if you want to, but there are as many to be made about ridiculous authoritarian right-wing bullies such as your self.

"starting your own beautician business"

And what in the world is wrong with that? So you have decided that all beauticians are stupid have you? You have met them all I presume? Probably have regular chats with them when your down the salon getting a perm and a pedicure you ignorant nancy boy. Grow up and stop embarrassing yourself.
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Please see the previous guy's post about DNA evidence.
There is not always DNA evidence available in a crime, in fact it's quite rare that there's sufficient DNA evidence that proves beyond a doubt that they are guilty.

Even still........How many people have been wrongly charged in the last 5 years.

The death penalty would benefit this country, Would sure reduce the prison in mate levels
Original post by James4d
Of course it does. A kill is still a kill, even if it was 'justified' by a court.

True, a kill is a kill, unless it's with a n00b tube, thats not cool.
Even still........How many people have been wrongly charged in the last 5 years.

The death penalty would benefit this country, Would sure reduce the prison in mate levels

I don't have the figures for that... Because if they're wrongly convicted we don't necessarily know.

Reducing the prison levels isn't a good reason to kill people. It actually costs more to kill someone than imprison them, and it's not fair to kill them if there's a chance that they were wrongly convicted (which probably happens more than people realise).
But for me personally, it's never ok to kill someone else, ever.
Even still........How many people have been wrongly charged in the last 5 years.The death penalty would benefit this country, Would sure reduce the prison in mate levels

Not many, inact in the last year probably none at all.

Obviously execution would only be permitable where there is undeniable evidence i.e. caught in act etc.

Don't insinuate that executions would be used hear there and everywhere.
I'm sure most murderers do deserve to die, but its not really about what they deserve. I don't think that ANYONE should be allowed have that kind of power - to decide who lives and who dies.
Wanting to execute people feels to me as if it is an emotional response; the human desire to have revenge, but revenge won't fix things. You have human rights because you are human, not because you obey laws and dont do anything wrong.
Original post by tibbles209
I'm sure most murderers do deserve to die, but its not really about what they deserve. I don't think that ANYONE should be allowed have that kind of power - to decide who lives and who dies.
Wanting to execute people feels to me as if it is an emotional response; the human desire to have revenge, but revenge won't fix things. You have human rights because you are human, not because you obey laws and dont do anything wrong.

Exactly.
What I wanted to say, but failed to explain this way. lol
What I hate about middle class, liberals so and so's, is that they are the kind of self righteous aresholes that have no problem with setting pedos free after a set number of years (because they are human beings etc. they hate the notion of revenge) yet they would reject the notion of a half way house for sex offenders being built anywhere near their leafy suburbs.

Middle class liberal ****tards are so self righteous, loving and liberal but only when the **** of the world and society is located one hundred miles away from them.
What I hate about middle class, liberals so and so's, is that they are the kind of self righteous aresholes that have no problem with setting pedos free after a set number of years (because they are human beings etc. they hate the notion of revenge) yet they would reject the notion of a half way house for sex offenders being built anywhere near their leafy suburbs.

Middle class liberal ****tards are so self righteous, loving and liberal but only when the **** of the world and society is located one hundred miles away from them.

Bit of a generalisation. Are you assuming that anyone with our views on the death penalty are middle-class, etc?
Yes I have. All the beauticians I have met, and I have met a lot when I was in college, were vacuous mongos. And no I do not have to meet everyone of them, I just use this thing called common sense where I project a cross section of people I have expereinced and then make an assumption by estimating that most beauticians are spackers.

I can't actually believe that you responded to that with "yes I have". :lolwut:

Nevertheless, you seem to have misused the phrase 'common sense'. That is to say what you have employed there is a ridiculous generalization about an extremely varied career path. Something tells me that at your college you were with first or second year students who may well have taken the course for something to do. But trust me, the next few levels are difficult to do and the range of jobs and roles a beautician can fulfill is huge, and so you should not employ it as a blanket term and insinuate that all beauticians are the same as the "vacuous mongos" at your college.

Not only have you stated that you have used a cross section then jumped to an assumption, but you also acknowledge that your final conclusion is only an estimation. What a complete fail of an argument.

I'm going to tell you right now that all of the beauticians I have met (that made it further than the first 6 months of the course) were kind, helpful, interesting and above all clever people. I count my sister as one of those people. She got the typical " oh yeah, typical cop out course" jibes when she went on to do beauty therapy after high school, and I must admit I too had my doubts. But she is now living in Newcastle earning a bloody good wage having just graduated University with a degree.

Now of course, I accept that if you cannot make a broad generalization based on your experiences, then neither can I. But what I think you should take from this is that it is as varied a profession as any other in terms of intellect and academic quality. The main reason people treat it as a "spacker" course as you so wonderfully put it is because it is vocational and as academic as a-levels for example. But there is a lot to be said for vocational courses. After all, you wouldn't call a firefighter a 'spacker' for taking up vocational training after school and neither would you call an electrician or a plumber a 'spacker' for doing so.

Actually, given the current climate in which graduate unemployment is high, those taking a more vocational course are taking a very wise and considered option. Vocational courses offer a fantastic chance to learn the skills you need for work and give you great job prospects.

I respect your opinion, however I do disagree with such a generalisation. Of course I would prefer a halfway house for sex offenders was not near my house as I would want to protect my family from only partially rehabilitated sex offenders, however I think that it would be a valuable service and if it had to be near my home or not built at all then I would support it. I do reject the notion of 'revenge' - I think it makes people do ugly things and gives them an excuse to justify them. In a better world peoples emotions would not have any bearing on their moral compass however I appreciate that can never be the case. We are emotional beings.
It depends what you think 'justice' is - revenge, punishment, or rehabilitation. I don't think justice exists in any meaningful sense. If someone is mudered and the real culprit is actually caught, no form of justice is going to right that wrong. If true rehabilitation is ever really possible, then great you have turned that persons life into something useful, but the victim is still going to miss out on everything they had hoped to experience. If the murderer is punished in anyway, either locked up/tortured/hard labour, then they may well suffer in some way, but again, the victim is still dead. Murderer is killed, and the victim is dead. Justice is just a human concept designed to make us feel better about 'bad people' getting what they deserve. In reality, good people suffer, bad people suffer, and sometimes good things happen to bad people as well as good people.

There is no way that we can ever be 100% certain that all those convicted are guilty, therefore we should not sentence them to death. Sure, if I believed someone had hurt my family member of course I would want to seriously hurt them, but that is not a legal system, it is plain old anger and revenge. DNA evidence usually plays a very small role in court cases, and proving a scene has not been tainted is a huge issue.

15 years is not long enough for a serious crime, and sentencing really does need to be looked at in this country. However, life is certainly not as cheap here as it is in many countries. We can expect to go to work in a safe environment, drink safe water, receive free healthcare, have food to eat, have a roof over our heads if we are unable to earn a living and say what we like without suddenly 'disappearing' in the night because the government don't like our point of view. It aint perfect, but it is better than a lot of people have it in the world.
Original post by tibbles209
I respect your opinion, however I do disagree with such a generalisation. Of course I would prefer a halfway house for sex offenders was not near my house as I would want to protect my family from only partially rehabilitated sex offenders (I SUPPORT THEIR RIGHT TO FREEDOM , HOWEVER I WOULD PREFER IT WAS NEAR SOMEONE ELSES FAMILY/HOUSE), however I think that it would be a valuable service and if it had to be near my home or not built at all then I would support it. I do reject the notion of 'revenge' - I think it makes people do ugly things and gives them an excuse to justify them. In a better world peoples emotions would not have any bearing on their moral compass however I appreciate that can never be the case. We are emotional beings.

Fixed that for you :smile:
Original post by im1190
Who has the right to sentence someone else to death, even if they have killed another? Doesn't that make them a killer also?

as a parent,if some one took my childs life i would have no problem with taking theirs
Fixed that for you :smile:

Of course I would prefer that it wasnt near my house, or that of anyone else until they are fully rehabilitated, however I did go on to say that if it was necessary then I would support it.
Your background and environment is very pertinent, because it is middle class liberals like yourself who live in another ****ing planet and have never actually experienced the real world.

*sigh* Nice to see you dismiss the opinions of anybody who comes from a background that isn't the same as your own, despite the fact that you know nothing about where they live or their social situation.

Really? Do you really think that people who don't live in under-privileged areas know nothing of the real world? Or can you just not think of a come-back? Because it seems totally ridiculous to me to believe that only people who live under the same circumstances as yourself are capable of understanding society, particularly when it comes to something like the death penalty when no one in the U.K. has experience of it anyway as it's been illegal for decades.

I would never make a judgement about your intellectual abilities based on how much money your parents earn and where you live. I'd thank you to grant me the same courtesy. Just because I've never been the victim of violent crime that doesn't mean I don't understand it.
Original post by dennisraymondsmith
as a parent,if some one took my childs life i would have no problem with taking theirs

then you are a murderer. if you are happy with that, fine. but you're still going to prison and rightfully so.
Not many, inact in the last year probably none at all.

Obviously execution would only be permitable where there is undeniable evidence i.e. caught in act etc.

Don't insinuate that executions would be used hear there and everywhere.

With DNA evidence which is constantly getting better, the chances of being 'wrongly' convicted is next till nill

'Probably none at all' and 'next to nill'

Still a chance of people who are wrongly convicted.
(edited 13 years ago)

You replied with a meme? really? you basically just placed a massive colourful sign saying "I JUST FAILED IN AN ARGUMENT!!!11ONE!1"

By the way, I find that picture deeply offensive. I have a cousin who has downs-syndrome and I promise you, it is not in the slightest bit amusing. In fact, judging by your ridiculous bullying and ad-hominem on this forum, he is a damn sight kinder and more intelligent that you. Maybe you are just taking the piss out of my family on purpose? Either way you need to engage your brain before you spout anymore of the ridiculous conceited crap you have displayed in this thread.

Go back to school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending