The Student Room Group

Coursework been sent to exam board as a possible case of plagiarism

A piece of coursework that myself and a fellow student handed in has been sent straight off to the exam board in order to be assessed for plagiarism by our personal tutor. Would anyone be able to advise me on how serious this is? obviously genuine plagiarism is taken very seriously in almost every case but the fact that my tutor has sent this piece of work straight off to the exam board is particularly alarming. Basically, we have forgotten to cite a website that we (mainly he!) used fairly often and technically there is a large amount of plagiarism.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Any advice will be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why do it in the first place? If you're gonna use a website all the time, what's the point in educating yourself? Have you learnt anything? Let this be a a lesson well learnt matey! If you're ever going to copy something, always... ALWAYS use a footnote or write it up in your own words but to your understanding!

Yeah that's it, thumb me down... you know what I said is the truth. What do you expect to say? That it will pass all hunky dory? Yeah right, he'll fail the course. Jesus, it's reality, not dreamland! Sorry for being harsh but come on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
My geology teacher was once an examiner.
He noticed some plagiarism in a piece of work and just gave it an unforgiving zero.

This is unbelievably serious for you and your friend.
On the bright side, however, now that my geology teacher is no longer an examiner, your odds have improved. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuungraded!!!!
Reply 4
I don't want to go into the in's and out's of the completion of this particular piece of work. It was a poster for 1, it was based on a very, very recent event - so only internet sources had info, and most of all the guy I was working with pretty much send me his work and did bits of mine, it all looked good and well but he never put 'the source' down as a source. I edited bits, added my own references, sorted out referencing for figures and pictures and we were done - I never knew most of it was copy and pasted pretty much!

Just to clarify, I go to one of the University of London groups - one of the more prestigious (as much as I hate to sound like a snob, it might be worth mentioning as there probably more strict?)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by samconly
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuungraded!!!!

What?
Reply 6
Original post by Joe-91
I don't want to go into the in's and out's of the completion of this particular piece of work. It was a poster for 1, it was based on a very, very recent event - so only internet sources had info, and most of all the guy I was working with pretty much send me his work and did bits of mine, it all looked good and well but he never put 'the source' down as a source. I edited bits, added my own references, sorted out referencing for figures and pictures and we were done - I never knew most of it was copy and pasted pretty much!

Just to clarify, I go to one of the University of London groups - one of the more prestigious (as much as I hate to sound like a snob, it might be worth mentioning as there probably more strict?)

They're*

I suppose if you explained about the source it might get sorted... that said I don't know how strict they'll be.
Errr... so you shared work? Was it meant to be submitted individually? It could be plagiarising each other that's the biggest concern?
Reply 8
No. It was a piece of work that was intended to be completed together.
Reply 9
Original post by linkdapink
Errr... so you shared work? Was it meant to be submitted individually? It could be plagiarising each other that's the biggest concern?

I don't think the OP is quite that stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me.

OP: You're probably going to get zero for that piece of work. People may tell you otherwise, but if I were you, that's what I'd be preparing myself for.
Reply 10
Because the piece of coursework is what it is, I think there is a possibility of more leniency.

Is it routine for suspected plagiarism to be handed straight over to the exam board?
Reply 11
Original post by Wookie42
I don't think the OP is quite that stupid, but it wouldn't surprise me.

OP: You're probably going to get zero for that piece of work. People may tell you otherwise, but if I were you, that's what I'd be preparing myself for.

This is what I expect, and I believe it's what I deserve - and certainly what my work partner deserves for sending over mainly a copy and pasted piece of work and not informing me. I am just worried that the penalty may be more serious. I will still comfortably pass the module, even with a 0 in this component because I am a first year undergraduate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Joe-91
Because the piece of coursework is what it is, I think there is a possibility of more leniency.

Is it routine for suspected plagiarism to be handed straight over to the exam board?

You say you're at a prestigious London university, yet you can't spell and seem to think that plagiarism is something universities/exam boards will just let fly? I'm not even at university abut even I know that if I don't reference properly I can expect getting a zero marker. The fact that it has gone straight to the exam board is probably the most worrying thing to be honest - a university might let a student off or just knock some marks from the total, but do you genuinely think the exam board will do the same? Sorry to sound harsh, just think you need to face the music a little.
Original post by Joe-91
A piece of coursework that myself and a fellow student handed in has been sent straight off to the exam board in order to be assessed for plagiarism by our personal tutor. Would anyone be able to advise me on how serious this is? obviously genuine plagiarism is taken very seriously in almost every case but the fact that my tutor has sent this piece of work straight off to the exam board is particularly alarming. Basically, we have forgotten to cite a website that we (mainly he!) used fairly often and technically there is a large amount of plagiarism.

Has anyone else been in this situation?

Any advice will be appreciated

If it was simply that you forgot to put the website down as a reference then go and tell your tutor NOW. If you find out that you've been given a 0 for plagirism and then try and tell them that you meant to put it down as a reference then you won't stand a chance of getting any marks back but if you go and tell them now that you simply forgot to mention the reference then there is a chance they will take it into account and not punish you.
Reply 14
Original post by Wookie42
You say you're at a prestigious London university, yet you can't spell and seem to think that plagiarism is something universities/exam boards will just let fly? I'm not even at university abut even I know that if I don't reference properly I can expect getting a zero marker. The fact that it has gone straight to the exam board is probably the most worrying thing to be honest - a university might let a student off or just knock some marks from the total, but do you genuinely think the exam board will do the same? Sorry to sound harsh, just think you need to face the music a little.

Did I ever mention "knocking marks off" and was it not me that said it was worrying that this has gone straight to the exam board? what the hell are you talking about? I am just saying that the mistakes may be more understandable given the type of work that it was, which you don't know about. Trust me, I am expecting a 0 at the very best.
Could you not explain it was a genuine mistake?

Thats why I hate exams boards and such, sometimes mistakes are made. Seems unfair if you don't get to have your say.
Reply 16
Original post by Joe-91
This is what I expect, and I believe it's what I deserve - and certainly what my work partner deserves for sending over mainly a copy and pasted piece of work and not informing me. I am just worried that the penalty may be more serious. I will still comfortably pass the module, even with a 0 in this component because I am a first year undergraduate.

if your first year you should be fine, at my uni unless its blatant copy and paste or copying someones work you still get it marked, but you get a warning and the max they will give it is 40%
if its blatant, its a 0 and a serious warning
2nd year is when they normally get harsh
As long as the stuff is in quotes if it's directly copied and pasted, even if you forget to cite the references within the text and in references section.

Was this a group project? If it wasn't but you were simply sharing your stuff with a course friend then it's really your own fault. Don't trust people to 'just' look at your essay.

I hope you will be able to retake the unit as sometimes they ban you from it because of plagiarism.
Reply 18
Basically, there is a whole lot of stuff from wikipedia and not only is it not in quotations but wikipedia isn't even cited. As I previously mentioned, I wasn't aware of this and it was my group partner who did it. I feel in some way responsible though, because some of that copy and pasted information (small bits) was in my sections of the poster and I edited it down.
Reply 19
Oh and just in case any cretin like Wookie wants to have a go for using wikipedia, he actually had every right because the poster was based on a very recent event.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending